Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Need Some Help

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
Hi

My 54 year old mother goes through phases roughly every four months (which last about three to four days) of being very angry. During this period she snaps very easily at people for very little and can be quite abusive. She either becomes very unemotional and doesn't seem to care about anyone or anything or gets very depressed to the extent of just staring at the wall. It has been going on for years now and the phases seem to occur less often as they used to but when she is on one she is impossible to be around. This is the extreme opposite of her normal self and Id even go as far as to say that it feels like I lose my mother for 4 days and someone else moves in...a very angry person.

If someone could point me in the right direction of whats causing this that would be appreciated.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 6th, 2007
Experienced User
Are you sure it's not menopause?............it does effect women differently. And have you tried talking to her when she's not in this "manic" phase?........does she remember acting this way?...........what's her excuse?
..........you can try being scientific about it................write down exactly when it happened and what circumstances lead up to it..............occasionally lifes stresses get to everyone and we all "lose" it............or it could be an underlying mental disorder Smile
|

replied June 7th, 2007
I don't know whether its menopause or not, thats what I'm trying to find out. As far as I know she doesn't remember acting this way. When I try to talk to her about it she doesn't have much to say.
|

replied June 8th, 2007
Experienced User
Well John, there's a few more things you can try...................have a sit down/phone her family doctor and discuss your concerns..............that way he can watch out for any signs at her next visit.

Also check the family tree......ask an older family member about her parents/siblings..........genetics is a powerful thing and so are family "secrets".............it might take some digging, but the clues are there...................possible early on set alzheimers

There are supplements that help with memory and with mood, however the next problem would be getting her to take them..............there's only so much a person can do Smile
|

replied June 10th, 2007
Isn't it possible that its just menopause? Like i said it doesn't happen often and I think it has died down a bit over the last few years. I don't think its so much of a problem that I need to contact a gp.
|

replied June 10th, 2007
hmm..this is weird. In my last post the word "breast" randomly popped up and I didnt even type it. And when i go to edit post to remove the word it doesn't appear there...bizarre.

Back to the point, there is history of alzheimer's in my mothers side or the family, her aunt had it and her great aunt.
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
How is her blood sugar? Been tested recently? You mentioned she goes into like a moodswing, different person, really angry. My aunt did this same thing...we thought she was going insane....also believerd it to be menopausal......but turned out her blood sugar was out of whack. She checks it regulary now and maintains her old sweet self!
|

replied June 11th, 2007
I'll look into that. Thanks for the response.
|