Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

Gestational Diabetes...

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
Does anyone know the signs of this? Im just worried after what happened last night cause nothing like that has ever happened to me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 27th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I'd love to help u out but I dont even know what gestational diabetes is????
Sorry lol! I'll try and look up some info for ya!

Shauna
|

Extremely eHealthy
Facts about diabetes in pregnancy

eight million women have diabetes, a condition that affects the way your body uses food. Some develop diabetes as children. Others, especially if they are overweight, become diabetic when they are adults. In addition, one in 20 pregnant women gets a type of diabetes called gestational diabetes.
Gestational diabetes develops in about 4 percent of all pregnant women - about 135,000 pregnant women in the united states each year.
Unlike other types of diabetes that last a lifetime, gestational diabetes usually disappears when a woman gives birth.
Up to 50% of women with gestational diabetes will, however, develop permanent type 2 diabetes within 10 to 15 years.
If you have had gestational diabetes once, you're likely to develop it again in subsequent pregnancies.
If you are overweight after pregnancy, you have a 60% chance of developing type 2 diabetes in the next 10 to 20 years. If you maintain a reasonable weight and exercise regularly, your chances of developing diabetes are less than 25%.

And the symptons are:

urinating more than usual, as the body tries to get rid of the extra sugar in the blood
feeling unusually thirsty, because the body needs to replace the lost fluid
nausea
blurred vision
feeling hungry while losing weight
frequent infections
skin sores that won't heal

i hope that helps!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Thank you that does help!
|

Extremely eHealthy
My cousin had it through both her pregnancies & I think it went when the children were born! U have to take extra special care of yourself & you may feel sleepy & go to the toilet a lot! (which im sure u do anyways since ur preggers!)
liz x
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile