Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Is kidney pain / problem related to skin rash ?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I have a bad pain just below the ribs at the back mid-way between the spine and side. It feels like someone is pressing hard. This goes around the side to the front, and also through from back to front. The pain (High RUQ)at the front is very sharp. I also have a tingly/ stinging pain down the front in the groin area.The dr had a feel and said it was my kidney, either an infection or a stone. The pain was so bad he gave me antibiotics before the urine test results. tHe urine test was clear. Is it kidney related? I have this pain 2/3 times a year for the past 15 years, usually with an episode of dry-eye, and ultrasound, urine and IVP are always clear. This time I also have a rash on my legs, like tiny pinpricks of blood under the skin, that do not disappear when I press them (doesn't itch/ irritate). What can I do to stop having this kidney problem, and what is the rash? Are they related?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 12th, 2007
Urinary & Bladder Disorders Answer A2876
The pain caused by the kidney is typically felt in the flank area, which is on the back just at the lower edge of the ribs on the either side of the spine. This pain is sharp, severe and occurs in waves. Similarly, back pain, which is usually dull, may be equated to the kidney pain but it's caused by muscles, ligaments, or vertebrae and disks of the spinal column. Kidney pain is most commonly caused by kidney stones or infections. It seems that the cause for your pain (if the above mentioned problems are excluded) might be repeated infections of the urinary system. Urinary infections can occur often, especially in the women. The rash on the skin like the one you describe may appear if there is kidney failure, which is not the case here, so I don't see a direct link between your kidney disease and the rash. Nonetheless, you can follow up with an internist or nephrologist (kidney specialist) for further advice. You might also want to consult a dermatologist about the skin rash that has appeared on the legs.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.