Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Myelograms - Has Anyone Gotten Good Results From a Myelogram (Page 1)

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
hi

i have taken mris. but they dont show my problem. is there any chance a myelogram could show my problem and the mris couldn't? has anyone out there gotten a myelogram that was helpful in showing their problem?

my problem is a strange one. upper and mid back. effects my breathing. i avoid writing, brushing my teeth, eating food that isn't soft etc. those things and many others trigger my back. it has been 19 years, i've done everything it seems except a myelogram. so i thought i would contact the universe of people on the computer.

good luck with you. sorry you have back pain.

steve
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile lindyloobell
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Hi, I had a myelogram done last friday june 22. I had a bad experienced because when they were injecting the ink I start having real bad pain. It was like I was in hell or something. They told me that I had to stay at the hospital for 4 hours after the procedure because the ink was toxic to the brain. I was not able to sit or lay down. My bed was in a 30degree angle. After I left the hospital headaches,nauseas and my legs where bad. 5 days in hell my Dr. tells me that I may have a leak in the spine that maybe thats the reason for my pains. If I still feeling the same I have to go back,the Doctors have to go back and seal the little hole that they made on my spine. Sorry that I dont have nothing great to say about the procedure but I hope yours are better than mine.

Take care,
|

replied September 28th, 2011
i recently had my first myelogram a few days ago. i went through complete hell afterwards as well. the spinal headache was horrendous combined with the extreme nausea...to be blunt, a life-long and highly trusted friend who had also had the same test a few months before had advised me smoked a SMALL AMOUNT of marijuanna. My headache greatly decreased, my nausea went away, and the thc thickens your blood which in turn will clot the spinal puncture quicker. i am not encouraging you to brake the law, only to utilize this wonder of a drug in such circumstances 4you
|

replied July 6th, 2007
Re: Myelograms - Has Anyone Gotten Good Results From a Myelo
[quote="blueberrysteve"]hi

i have taken mris. but they dont show my problem. is there any chance a myelogram could show my problem and the mris couldn't? has anyone out there gotten a myelogram that was helpful in showing their problem?[/quote]

Hi,

I've taken a myelogram before for my backache and let me tell you it's a harrowing experience. Few hours after i reached home, i started vomitting many times and had headaches that felt like someone was pounding my head with a sledgehammer. It was so agonising that I had to beg my parents to send me back to the hospital.

I've checked with doctors and MRI is the best so far in detecting back problems.

I've been almost pain free for the past few years and I attribute it to exercise and I use a combination of balms and glucosamine creams.
|

replied October 12th, 2007
a Test From Hell
When I went to the hospital I had heard terrible stories and I just prayed it wouldnt happen to me. First of all it took them three times to get the needle in straight so they could inject the dye, then bang, it hit me like a ton of bricks falling on your head. I was sick for almost 7 days and Im not sure if Im okay yet or not. I had a very severe headache and vomitting, and it felt like I would never walk again. My legs drawed up and would not straighten. Today it has been 10 days and my head still feels funny like im in a water bubble or something and my ears hurt really bad. The vomiting has stopped, but still cant eat hardly anything. I hope it is worth it for you because this chick will NEVER have it done again.
|

replied June 5th, 2008
Myelograms suck
My mother went in for a lumbar myelogram last year and they messed her up. For anyone out there contemplating have one, STOP WHILE YOU CAN. I am not sure what they did to her, but my mom, an active 46 year old went in for one of these and was subsequently hospitalized for 7 days in intensive care. First, they transferred her to another hospital because an ER doctor did not know what my mother had gone in having seizures. As we were walking into the ER, she tensed up like a cat and eventually stopped breathing. They injected her with morphine for about 6 hours before she was transferred out because nobody could figure out what she had. At hospital # 2, a group of doctors saw her and they all pointed fingers at the referring doctor alleging that the procedure had been done prematurely. Her legs were practically stiff, she was unable to breathe and all she can do is cry and scream of how much pain she was in. Finally, after 5 days they performed a blood patch and although her constant headaches went away, she still gets them all the time. She lost her job as has been unable to return and is in bed 20 hours of the day. She cannot sleep and loses her memory frequently. Terrible mistake to agree to the procedure entirely.
|

User Profile
replied May 7th, 2009
Myelogram did suck
I have to say the staff at the hospital was nice, but the test itself was terrible. It's been a week today and I still have tons of pressure in my left ear. I couldn't sit up for 5 days without a pounding headache. The recovery has been bad and has increased the pain in my neck and arm.
I sure hope the test was useful to my Doctor. I won't even know that for several more days. Sad
|

replied May 12th, 2009
Myelograms
Usually an MRI with contrast medium is superior to a Myelogram.Based upon my own experience of having had 3 myelograms and the subsequent problems I believe that an MRI is much much safer.I suffer with Adhesive Arachnoiditis which I believe was caused by the pantopaque dye(oil based) used in the myelogram I received in 1972 and 1978.I am now permanently disabled and my advice would be to stay well clear of a myelogram even though they are now water based.The immediate side effects are nasty the long term are even worse.Best Wishes.
|

replied May 29th, 2009
wow, Im not the only one
Out of all the test and procedures I had to have prior to my back surgery, including a diskogram, the mylogram was by far the absolute worse. The poster above who said it was like being in hell hit in right on the head. When they injected the dye, it was like a ton of hot led started in my butt and then melted all the way down my legs (best way to discribe it), I couldnt move my legs at all and it was the worse pain ever. Not to mention I had a reaction to the dye which I guess is pretty common, so I had a fever of 104 and was throwing up for days. I would NOT recommend having this done unless its absolutly necessary
|

replied August 26th, 2009
Myleogram - Is there an alternative?
I have backed out of a Myleogram 2 years ago. I was on the table almost to have the needle go in my back and I couldn't go through with it. I now am almost totaly unable to walk, almost ready to get a wheelchair and at 55, I can't let that happen. I am still working and have so much to do with my life. I don't want to be in a wheelchair. I have pinched nerves, scoliosis, degenerative disc disease. I have had the MRIs. Is the Myleogram absolutely necessary? Can they tell the same thing from MRIs? I begin shaking and my heart races when I think about the pain of a myleogram. My life seems over because of the severe pain I experience, and I will almost accept anything except for letting them inject my back with no sedatives. Is there any alternative? Scared to death in Texas, CW
|

replied October 31st, 2009
Don't have a myelogram! Mine was excrutiatingly painful, followed by a weeklong headache during which I could not sit-up or stand-up. I now have several headaches every month. I never got headaches before my myelogram. I also have a permanent hearing loss as a result of the myelogram. A friend of mine had a reaction to the dye injected into his spinal canal during a myelogram. As a result, he is now a quadraplegic. An MRI gives a better, clearer picture, and is way, way safer.
|

replied August 20th, 2011
Cure for Spinal Chord Headaches
Anyone suffering from post spinal myelogram debilitating headaches that worsen in the sitting and standing positions should go straight to the ER and ask for an Epidural Blood Patch. This is also a very painful procedure but will eliminate the spinal headache within minutes of having the procedure.

Epidural blood patch:

An epidural blood patch is a surgical procedure performed by an anesthesiologist (without anesthesia or sedation) that provides immediate relief to the headache caused by leaking spinal fluid. Approximately 15-20 mls of blood is taken from a vein in the patient's arm and subsequently injected into the epidural space in the spine at the site of the spinal fluid leak.

The blood clots and seals the hole in the dura (the membrane which covers the spinal cord) which stops fluid from leaking out. The procedure is used to relieve severe headaches caused when an epidural, spinal needle, or diagnostic lumbar puncture punctures a hole in the dura.

It is has also been suggested that immediate relief of headache after a blood patch is due to pressure against compression and squeezing effect against the dura which relieves the low pressure in the head.

The patient is monitored for approximately one hour and discharged shortly after. Often, relief is immediate, but it can take a day or two for symptoms to disappear completely.

For more information click on: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/spinal-he adaches/DS00643/DSECTION=treatments-and-dr ugs
|

replied March 18th, 2010
never have a myelogram!
I have had a horrible experience with my myelogram. They didn't tell me I might not be through with my headache after 24 hours. I also feel very nausea and my ears are stopped up. I would recommend to never, ever have a myelogram.
|

replied May 1st, 2010
Ordered a 2nd myelogram
I had one in ''97 and it all went fine. I was in a MVA in ''96 and then had a nerve graft to bridge where the damage was in ''97... and the myelogram was required before the graft. (An operation still in experimental stages.) Supposedly, the dye should come out where the damage was and it didn''t because there was no ''break'' in the spinal cord. It went all the way up to my cortex, and because the dye didn''t come out, I had to stay in bed and keep my head at a 45 degree angle. 12 hours later, I was able to sit up. Now though, because of the graft I have feeling coming back, I''m in severe pain 90% of the time. I''m nervous now because the graft is there and I''m unsure what will happen on this 2nd myelogram. The main thing I remember is that it was quick and real uncomfortable. What you can get is called a spinal headache, and it''s the worst pain ever. I had one after the nerve graft, and now I wonder if that''s why I''m in pain now. They have me scheduled on the 4th for another one, and I''m very nervous. And the problem is, if you''re in pain the Dr''s have no empathy. They''ll just say, "Yeah, well it is a possible side effect." SO NERVOUS THIS TIME! At the first myelogram, I didn''t really have any knowledge of what it was, now that I do have the knowledge, it scares me to death.
|

replied June 4th, 2010
I had a myelogram almost 3 weeks ago with only back pain after the fact a couple of days after. then I woke up this morning with the injection site bothering me again ..... the test was bad enough with out it hurting again after the fact
|

replied June 5th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
when you go so long without a diagnosis you need to get whatyever tests you can to find problem. the docs had no problem seeing my problem but they still did myelogram, ct scan , x ray and mri prior to surgery. the neurosurgeon told me that every test is helpful to him in order to view the situation from as many angles and aspects as possible prior to surgery....myelograms can hurt a bit but usually pain doesnt last......
|

replied June 5th, 2010
myelogram
I had a myelogram done about a month ago and have been very sick after wards. A bad headache, vomiting, and now living in hell. They told me to go back and have a blood patch done as the fluid still MAY be leaking. May be leaking. They have no way of knowing for sure. I know that I am in more pain now than ever. My right ear gets stopped up and then I get this echo ever so often and painful headaches. I DID do every thing they told me to do after I had the procedure done.. NEVER AGAIN... Now I guess I will hace to live this way forever. I have to depend on GOD now to HEAL me from what they (doctors, radiologist) messed up in my body, head and ears.. Good Luck to anyone who gets this test done.. I advise NOT TO get it done..
|

replied June 14th, 2010
Lumbar Myelogram was like getting struck by lightning!
Wow I wish I had read all this a few weeks ago. On June 2nd I had a lumbar myelogram. My right lower back hip and leg were hurting. During the puncture of the test it felt like lightning struck my back and went down my left leg (the good leg). For a week I was in bed and in tears most of the time. I had had knee replacements almost 6 years ago and this was WORSE! My left leg had 'shocks' for a week and muscle cramps. My right leg is fine now, but the left leg is worse than the right leg ever was before the test. My toes tingle and it feels like I have a thumb tack in my foot. With muscle relaxors, pain pills, and sleepling pills I am doing a bit better. I am doing Physical Therapy 3 times a week and doing daily exercises My upper thigh is finally better and my calf is now just sore muscles with occasional cramps. The foot still is bad. I have 2 weeks to get better because I'm headed overseas for work for 5 weeks. Having the myelogram only showed them the pinched nerve that was already suspected. The previous MRI had shown buldging disks and compressions and stinosis. So I think the Myelogram was not that helpful medically and definately hurtful physically. I would tell anyone to try everything else first... physical therapy, massage, prayer, aqua therapy, even pills. If anyone has any ideas for quicker recovery let me know. It's now 2:30 am and I'm awake because of the pain (even after taking a muscle relaxor, sleeping pill, and pain pills).
|

replied June 18th, 2010
Myelogram...Don't Do It!!!
I had a myelogram a week ago today. I have been in hell ever since! My neck is stiff, headache, ears feel clogged and just overall feel like crap. I called the radiologist back EVERYDAY telling them something wasn't right. They told me my symptoms were not related to the myelogram. I called today begging for a blood patch, and the nurse told me it is too late. I can't live like this for the rest of my life. If I lay down, the pain isn't quite as bad. However, when I try to get up, I can't do it. I have been in bed for a week now. Help!
|

replied July 21st, 2010
concerns for someone that wants to have a myleogram
i had back problems but only when i stood up so they did the myleogram and then that is how they detected the problem because they stand you upright to let the liquid flow to see if there was some kind of blockage or defect and sure enough it found what the mri couldnt....
|

replied July 26th, 2010
It's wasn't that bad for me and I'm fine (just got home).
I just got home from a myleogram and ct scan. It hurt some, but the pain of it didn't last. I don't have a headache or any other problems right now. I'm lying down and will for 2 days (maybe these people above didn't lie down afterward for the recommended time?)...
well, I'm fine and the myleogram was 100% necessary due to the fact that I have an intestim bladder implant / so MRI was not possible. I have a variety of neurological mishaps happeningin my body and this test will show if I have tethered cord syndrome or any other back myleopathy (abnormality). I'm grateful for the test - it wasn't such a big deal. Sure it hurt. It hurt A LOT but that pain didn't last... and I'm no drama queen. Finding out if I have a problem in my back is important and no amount of whining about the procedure to get that answer is going to help me. They took spinal fluid and blood also. The people were professional and kind. My my, so many bad experiences here...I'm sure they are true, but remember people with GOOD experiences are much less likely to post. I'm sure I'll be fine and I'm glad I had the test done. Sorry for the others here, but I don't think their experiences are typical / I could be wrong. Do what is right for you but if you have the myleogram - don't screw around at home. Stay flat for a few days (have it on a Friday)...and follow your doctors orders.
|

replied September 24th, 2010
I had a Myelogram CT on my lumbar today, test went smooth, only pain was the actual needle sticks, and the localized ache, where the spine was tapped.
not sure why people have such different experiences,
i drank lots of water prior to the procedure, had a apple for breakfast, my procedure was at 1:15
so i skipped a lunch, and the hospital gave me a lunch after the myelogram downed a ginger ale, a bottle of water, and the doctor released me, about 2 hours total time check in to being released.
i can't have an MRI's so this was the only thing to show what is causing my pain. of course it's only been about 3 hours snce it was done, till now, and i could still develop a headache, i just have some achiness and my usual nerve pain.
|
12 >>