Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Bulimia Causing Health Problems

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
Hi... I have been a functioning bulimic for over 15 years now with no health or dental problems. I binge and purge sometimes 2-3 times a week and I dont binge with huge amounts of food. I sometimes go weeks or months without binging or purging. But, I still know that I am a bulimic.

As I said, I have not had any health problems that have ever been contributed to the bulimia. But, all of a sudden I have had something wrong and need someone to tell me if it could be related to the binging and purging.

About 3 weeks ago I noticed a change in my bowel habits. I used to be regular, going once a day. I purchased a herbal colon cleanse and used it by directions then stopped and that is when all this started. I dont abuse laxatives and this is the 1st time I have tried a colon cleanse. I bought it for reasons other than weight loss... just to have a "clean start".

Anyway... now a good month after stopping the colon cleanse I cannot go to the bathroom. I have even had to try laxatives a couple of times, but they simply help me with one small bowel movement and that is it. Along with that, I am experienceing a feeling of fullness, nausea, abdominal tenderness and I did have a sharp pain between my shoulder blades one evening and the next day.

I visited my Doc. and he stated that it sound like my gall bladder and we did the ultrasound.. negative and a hida test? (hope thats right term) and it too was negative. I did however experience some symptoms during the test so my Doc wants to remove it anyway.

I have been all over the internet trying to diagnose myself. I have noticed that the last few times I purged it was hours after the meal and my food was not really digested. So I started wondering if I could have developed gastroparesis or something else? I hate hate hate to think I will be removing my gall bladder when there is the possibility that something else is going on. My Doc hasnt dealt with Bulimics much and didnt really think that with the infrequency of my purging that I could have caused something else.

I am also posting this in the gall bladder portion of the forum just incase the symptoms I am describing may be somthing else, even if it isnt related to the bulimia.

I appreciate a quick response as they are trying to scedule surgery for Tuesday
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
from the sounds of it it can very well be gallbladder related. i dont think that has to do with being bulimic at all, sudden weight gain or loss though i beleive can cause gallbladder problems but most bulimic stay within a certain weight rance im nto sure what your story is, always good to go for a 2nd opinion, maybe ask for an endoscopy to be done to check for stomach ulcers, my dr told me that stomach ulcers and gallbladder probs the pain is very very similar, so get that checked out as well
|

replied October 24th, 2012
My oldest sister has been bulumic for almost the same amout of years. She recently had her appendix removed and is now having problems with her gallbladder. Im not sure if its related I was searching for help for her. She doesnt look good at all bulimia seems to be making her look old and tired and now suddenly health problems I hate what this had done to her Sad
|

replied June 4th, 2007
Thanks for your reply. No, I havent had any weight loss or gain. I have been the same weight for several years.
|

replied May 25th, 2010
I feel your pain, frustration, irritation. At 39 every doctor and family member asks me "Is it because of your eating disorder?" They cooked my uterus, they took out an ovary, my appendix ruptured and a year ago they took out my gall bladder and I'm still sick...and I havne't thrown up in so long...why do they blame that? It's hard. You need to keep searching for the right doctor. It took me a few years. And you need to find a support system and a friend who will actually believe you. If you can't find one...write me back...I'll listen. I know what it feels like.
|

replied February 19th, 2012
Gallbladder
I struggled with bulimia and anorexia 5-8 grade and had my gallbladder removed when I was 13. I don't know if my gallbladder problems were the result of my bulimia, but I know that the problems started after my eating disorder was at its peak.
|