Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

My Period Won't Stop (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Mad
I am a 28 year old married woman with 2 young children. I am overweight and that has affected my periods, either they will be more freqeunt or they will just not show up, but this time is different. I am bleeding, what feels like a lot, but prolly not. Some clots, some of them have been quite large, but this has been going on for almost 4 weeks straight, no slowing down, no stopping. I am not on any form of birth control and in March and April I had normal 7 day periods, this is the first time that it has ever done this and I am frustrated, and so is my husband. To make matters even worse I do not have health insurance. I had a miscarriage in November 2004 and in March 2005 I was still having cycle problems the doc at the time gave me a presciption for 10 days provera to take if it didn't start on its own, it did, so I never took it, still have it wondering if I should try that or if that would make it worse? Thanks for your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2007
Supporter
Hi
I would not take anyhting unless you have first seen a Dr or nurse practioner. Can you not go to a health clinic in your area? Here's its abased on your income and insurance or not, you could literally bleed to death............You are probably drained of energy and having to play wife and Mommy can really get you down. You do need to have this matter looked into, because you may end up needing something other than pills. My step-daughter ended up having to go to the hospital and have a DNC, just to get herself straightened out and she was only 26. Not trying to fighten you, just want you to know, insurance should not be a factor when it comes to your health. Ther are ways of paying for things, but you need to take care of you, because you have others depending on you! Hope all goes well!
|

replied June 2nd, 2007
Thank you for that encouragement, I have not checked into any clinics or anything yet, I have gone to the med center for a couple of things before and they will bill me for the services and I can make payments, but I don't think they can provide me with the kind of care that I need this time around. I am a little tired, but no more than normal its seems, to me the most frustrating thing its just constantly feeling not clean and not being able to have sex with my husband, we both miss it very much!. It just strikes me as odd, because in every other way I really do feel fine, except for the bleeding.
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2007
Supporter
Hi
Hey Sweetie, Please find a free clinic or health dept. They have nurses there that can refer you , if need be go to the ER. Its a crying shame people who do not have insurance or can't afford it, have ot sit in the wings and suffer. I rainse my daughter alone and we went years without insurance.....You need ot tell them you ahve been bellding for oever a month. At least take a multivitamin to replace the iron you are loosing! Hope you get over this soon!
|

replied June 5th, 2007
Same Problem
I am going through the same problem with constant bleeding. Here's my story. I'm 5'3,23 yrs old, and weight about 240. My periods have been irregular for the past 3 years or so. Earlier last year, my dr. prescribed Provera as well. I took it and it started. Then, from November 2006-May 8,2007, I did not have a period. Not one drop! So from May 9 to May 18, I was on my menstrual. Then, on May 26, it started again. Today is June 5 and I am still bleeding. Oh yeah my husband has been pretty upset about this. Evil or Very Mad I am going to the dr on Friday to see what's going on. Thanks for the info, Fairy Godmother. I hope you can find help for yourself, Kelli T.
|

replied June 11th, 2007
Hello
Well same thing here, however I know what my problem is. I have "Graves Disease". In all of your blood test's make sure that your thyroid is very carefully checked. I went undiagnosed for years because "graves" is the type of thyroid disease that litterally flips back and forth where one day it can show hypothyroid and the next hyperthyroid and will also show as normal. I have had a dozen Dr's in my lifetime tell me that my problems are in my head and now I am 29 and come to find out that I have had this problem since atleast 6th grade. ok - so long and short of it anytype of thyroid disorder can mess with your entire system. It is June 11th now and our little issue is still going on strong since April 28th. I have gotten over the freaking out stage but only because I know the root of the problem. This might not be your problem but it's worth checking out.
|

replied June 13th, 2007
Thanks For the Info
Well I went to the doctor this past Friday and told her what's going on. She says that since I am young and I already had my thyroid checked out early last year, she put me on birth control(NuvaRing). My period stopped the same day I put it on. Hallelujah! So hopefully this will regulate me. My husband wants to have a child soon but I want to make sure my cycle is ok first. Very Happy
|

replied October 11th, 2008
Here's my problem -
I'm 36 & my period won't stop either. I was normal up until Sept of 2000. In Sept 2000 I had one for 3 weeks, but it wasn't heavy, it was back & forth & I could go a day & do nothing. The next several months were somewhat normal until Mon, April 30, 2001 - that week started out as a kidney stone, I was on my period that week, in & out of the doctor's office, went to community hospital on Wed, they did a MRI & told me that didn't see a stone in my kidney, but it could've moved or been so small that it didn't show up. Thursday night I tossed & turned from my stomach hurting like cramps 10 times over. My mom took me back to the family doctor first thing Friday morning & they asked me what I found out at the hospital, told them not much, so thay called the hospital & they said "oh by the way we found a mass on her ovary", so he immediately sent me to a OBGYN for tests. He did a sonagram & I could see the mass, it was an ovarian cyst the size of a softball or really big grapefruit almost 11 cm. He put me on birth control but it was too late for it to work, I had emergency surgery in the wee hours of the morning on Sunday, May 6, 2001 for the mto remove the cyst & unfortunately my right ovary. I was on the pill for about 18 months, but then lost my job & that was one expense I did without. My periods stayed normal until about October of 2005. Somewhere around then I would have a period for 12-14 days, then I'd be free of it for 2-3 weeks, then I'd have a normal one, then have one for 15-20 days, this weird pattern has been going on for 3 years now. I could go 3 months & be normal, then go 3 months & it be abck & forth. I've been in & out of work up until Feb of this year, so I do not have good insurance & the problem here with the health dept is I would have to take off a day of work which I can't afford to do because I am through a temp service, so if I miss a day then they will just get someone else. Plus around here hard working americans can't get freebies, it goes to all the non working (sit on your butt all day, have 5 kids, & illegals) that can sit at the health dept all day & wait to be seen. It is very frustrating as the others have said because you don't feel clean & you're spending a fortune on tampons, pads, feminine wipes, & toilet paper. It's also frustrating with the husband too, because when he wants sex I'm bleeding, when I have a window of opportunity he's either asleep, working, or tired. Thought we might've been able to tonight because I haven't bled since Thursday night, but about an hour ago, it struck again, that's why I'm on here, because I had a melt down, balled my eyes out for almost an hour. Sometimes it does have an odor & I do everything I can to take care of that, but one job I had (left one job to take this one because I was told it would be permanent) they fired me because of it, even after I told the manager about my problems, but that I was waiting to get their good health insurance to go to the doctor. Thought I might be going through menopause. I know this is long & drawn out, but I just needed some advice on what this might posiibly be, before I see about a doctor.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
ebc...i bet you're anemic. you really need to get to a doc and have them do a detailed iron test on you. this doesn't cost too much...hopefully they can do it for you either cheap or free. the regular "iron test" sucks so have them do the detailed one on you. i bet you a dollar with you bleeding like you have for as long as you have, you're anemic. i had the same problem. i'm a few years younger than you, but that was my problem too. it's a real easy problem to solve, you just start taking an iron supplement (that's inexpensive).

good luck sweetie. i'm so sorry you're feeling so bad. i'll say some prayers for you...hopefully that will help you. just know that ppl on this site are here for you...if we can do anything, let us know.
jasmine
|

Hey Jazzy77,
Thanks for your reply. Of all the things that have crossed my mind (ovarian cancer, uteran cancer, menopause, another cyst, etc), that wasn't one of them. I did have problems with low iron when I was in high schook & college, but my period was normal then. I talked with 2 of my friends tonight & got some more girl advice & info on some local doctors. I forgot to mention in previous post that the last few days I have had a couple of times where I didn't feel quite right almost lightheaded & I know that is a sign of low iron. I'll go ahead & pick up some iron supplements tomorrow cause I'm sure it will be a few weeks before I can in to see a doctor. Maybe that will go ahead & help, it can't hurt. Thanks again, I feel a little bit better about it now.
|

User Profile
replied October 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Wait, isn't that backwards?

You're anemic because you've been bleeding so much, not your bleeding so much because you're anemic. You'd of course be put on iron supplements to stop/prevent iron deficencies, but that's not the cause of your heavy bleeding.

There are a lot of possibilities for heavy/long menstruation. It could be as simple as a hormonal issue that could be solved with birth control pills, but it's really something that needs to be talked over with a doctor just to make sure.

Here is a good source of information about heavy menstruation. I wish I was able to narrow it down for you better, but the doctor should be able to help.

Good luck!
|
Users who thank Maddie34 for this post: Jazzy77 

User Profile
Experienced User
ebc...i'm glad you're feeling a little better about it. i hope your problem is as easy to resolve as mine was.

maddie, you're probably right to a certain degree...all i can really say about it is that when you're anemic all your body organs can go out of whack (it can actually kill you if it gets that bad). when all of your body's organs go out of whack, you can bleed uncontrollably which probably worsens the problem, but maybe that's a clear message from God to say "HEY YOU NEED TO GET CHECKED OUT...SOMETHING'S WRONG". hehe. i think this is a little like "which came first the chicken or the egg", and my answer honestly is. i don't know.

hope you get fixed up ebc whatever is wrong. i think that you're on a likely solution though.

jasmine
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah, I get what happens when you're anemic and why. But you need to understand that when anemia is so severe that it's causes heavy bleeding, there would be many other symptoms as well and the bleeding would not be exclusive to her menstrual bleeding-- she'd have things like nose bleeds, unexplained bruises, prolonged bleeding when she gets a cut.... it certainly wouldn't be an on and off kinda thing and she wouldn't have been able to just endure 7 years of it.

EBC, you said birth control helped regulate things right? I don't think that would have helped if it were caused by severe anemia. I think this is a hormonal imbalance that needs to be talk over with a doctor and mostlikely be put back on hormones.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
maddie, not to beg to differ with you (and i'll be glad to go find the exact statistic in my personal case) but in my case, the only symptom i had was uncontrolled bleeding and period related issues. my situation was so bad that my doctor wanted me to get a blood transfusion to get more iron in my blood immediately. i don't recall what the exact measurement was, but my number was a "2" initially. my doctor said it should be 150. after 6 months of treatment i had improved to a 12. i still keep coming up and keep upping my dosage of the iron supplements and have been able to improve without the intervention of a blood transfusion, but, i never had bruising, never had a bloody nose, etc.

when i get a minute, i'll go find out what that measurement was, and you can do some research on that. now i'm not saying that this is what is affecting ebc...i am not a doctor, but it does sound like what i had. oh, incidentally, i did occasionally feel light headed like i was going to pass out. and i was cold a lot of the time. aside from that, nothing really other than the crazy bleeding.

jasmine
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I guess I've just never heard of that before and I'm having trouble finding anything on it, so it seemed weird that an iron supplement would help.

Thanks for the info Jazzy. Smile
|

User Profile
Experienced User
honestly maddie, with respect to what you are saying it seems odd to me too. what your saying is extremely logical. i don't know why in my case, it does make sense. i am going to ask my dr next time i visit her.

i remember her telling me that it is a viscious cycle that involves many organs in my body and it also is the reason why i'm bleeding so heavily. she told me that i would probably have to take iron supplements until i go through menopause (that's like 30 YEARS)...anyway...i will ask her, and document it on here because i think it's worth knowing.

jasmine
|
Users who thank Jazzy77 for this post: Maddie34 

You must see a doctor or nurse practioner for this problem, your life may depend on it.

When I was 19 I had my period for about 3 months straight. I tried to see a gynecologist, but it was difficult to get an appointment quickly in my area. I did go to a clinic in a nearby city, but the doctor never actually talked to me, just tried to refer me to someone else. Anyway, I finally did see a doctor and she diagnosed amenorrhea --that means I was not ovulating, which confused my body --thus the never-ending period. She put me on birth control pills to regulate my periods and I never had any problems after that, but I have been on the pill ever since (quite a few years).

My point, however, is that you really need to see a medical professional and do what they tell you to do. You need to fix this problem, your life, very literally, could depend on it in the end.
|

replied February 9th, 2009
My heavy period won't stop
I have been bleeding for over a month now and my hands and feet are really cold. I'm taking iron supplements a week now but the bleeding hasn't stopped. There's no real pain. When I sit too long occasionally I might feel a little cramp but no real pain . I never thought of taking birth control till I read this. I'm gonna try it to see if it will atleast stop the bleeding.
|

replied February 13th, 2009
Oh dear! SEE A DOCTOR!! you are BLEEDING for crying out loud and your extremities are cold. SEE A DOCTOR! at least call a medical professional and describe your symptoms to them.
|

replied March 26th, 2009
I want to inform you guys of another reason for an abnormal period. I have had problems with mine since I was 12. It's called Polycystic ovarian syndrome. It messes with your insulin levels which in turn messes with your hormones. Not only does is cause irregular periods, months without one and then months with it all the time, it can cause diabetes and weight problems, not to mention infertility. I have been told all my life that my period problems were because I was fat. Literally, I was told that numerous times. I have been to countless doctors who just don't care. My weight problem was caused by the PCOS. Luckily it can be controlled with birth control pills. Make sure when you talk to your doctor you mention this as a possiblity. Especially if you have weight issues. Just wanted to put something else out there for you to think about.
|
12 >>