Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Shakiness Inside And Extreme Weakness

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
I had mono. several months back, recovered and was active and working for a month and a half, and then, all of a sudden, during a massage (I am a massage therapist), my arms started to go tingly and my whole body grew very weak. I feared it was a relapse of mono., and for the past 2 weeks I have not been able to work, the weakness and heavy muscle feeling interchanging with occasional numb/tingly feelings in my arms and hands, and this ongoing shaky feeling throughout my entire body. The shakiness does not seem to be visible to others, but it feels so real inside of me that it prevents me from having the strength to function normally. Sometimes the shakiness becomes so intense that my head and body like to go into strong, visible twitches. I believe I could control these, but I choose to just let them go. This has only happened 3 or 4 times in the past week or so. I have also had several excrutiating headaches, which usually accompany these strong visible twitches. But, the most notable symptoms I'm experiencing are the inner shakiness and great weakness of my muscles. Any ideas?! I need to return to work and my life again!!! Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 30th, 2008
Same problem, shakiness with mono
Hi, I see you posted over a year ago with mononucleosis and shakiness and twitching. I am going through the exact same thing at the present. PLEASE let me know if this will ever go away, I am so tired of being sick. I first became sick in mid May.
|

replied July 30th, 2008
CFIDS
Hello. I am finally coming to the light at the end of the tunnel after a year and a half in the dark with my health. I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome, and am receiving treatment at the Fibromyalgia & Fatigue Center (they have 10 locations nationally). They are EXCELLENT. I have also started Mickel Therapy, and that alone has been a tremendous help. If your doctors have ruled out everything else and your bloodwork is coming back as 'normal,' I highly recommend the clinic and/or the therapy. I have tried everything else, and these are the only that are bringing me to full recovery... Hope this helps!
|

replied July 30th, 2008
Happy for you
Thank you for your reply. I am so glad you are finally getting the help you need. I was definitely diagnosed with mononucleosis through a monospot test. I just hope this shaky, twitching business goes away SOON.
|

replied July 30th, 2008
If your symptoms persist for 6 months or more since the onset of your mono., I would strongly recommend looking into CFIDS treatment. Without treatment, many people never get better... Chronic fatigue is just another name for a group of disorders like Post-Viral Syndrome.
|

replied July 30th, 2008
CFS
Yes, if it persists that long I will seek further treatment. I have heard others say that their mono lead to CFS or fibromyalgia.

Best wishes too you and thanks for the reply.
|

replied September 2nd, 2008
Oh, Please tell me no...
I want to ignore all of the above to avoid the potential outcome in my own case. I was first dxd in April, symtpoms started March and again told I had a flare up in August. I have read in much of the literature that the above is true in regards to CFS and Fibromyalgia but I want to deny it because I feel the general public still wants to deny the existence of these syndromes. Anyway, I think the above is good advice. I would also state that after initial infection I'm not sure a monospot test is accurate to diagnose a flare up which would now be an Eppstein Barr. The reason is you will now always have antibodies in your system from the initial infection so they must do more specific tests if they believe you are having a flare up. Otherwise they are unable to distinguish between active and past infection. Maybe someone else can confirm this but I believe from reading the information on the EBV Titers testing the only way you can prove it is a flare up and not just the antibodies in your system which will always be there is to do what is called and EBNA (Eppstein Barr Nuclear Antigen). Before accepting that you do have mono again, be sure they did perform the proper tests. Also, monospot tests can be positive in other conditions as well -- Lupus, Leukemia, Lymphoma, HIV, etc. I am not trying to scare you. I just feel it's good for the docs to be thorough.
|

replied May 1st, 2009
Hi.

I suffered from the same symptoms for long time. You need to have a good nutrition including B vitamines to boost your immune system and help fight the virus.
|

replied October 10th, 2012
Did any of you got better?
|