Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Muscle Ache When I Drink Wine Coolers (Page 1)

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
Does anyone know why my shoulder muscles and neck muscles hurt as if someone beat me up when I drink 2 or 3 wine coolers? I quit drinking them, but, I need to know an answer as to why it does it to me. It also makes my upper arm muscles hurt. Never my lower body. Hmmm.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Tylanas
|
Users who thank lascano1960 for this post: cpeters33 

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2007
Don't know if this answers your question but I did find this from [spam removed]

Symptoms include painless weakness of the limb muscles closest to the trunk and the girdle muscles, including the thighs, hips, shoulders, and upper arms. This weakness develops gradually, over weeks or months, without symptoms of acute muscle injury. Muscle atrophy, or decreased bulk, may be striking. The nerves of the extremities may also begin to break down, a condition known as alcoholic peripheral neuropathy, which can add to the person's difficulty in moving.

The way in which alcohol destroys muscle tissue is still not well understood. Proposed mechanisms include muscle membrane changes affecting the transport of calcium, potassium, or other minerals; impaired muscle energy metabolism; and impaired protein synthesis. Alcohol is metabolized or broken down primarily by the liver, with a series of chemical reactions in which ethanol is converted to acetate. Acetate is metabolized by skeletal muscle, and alcohol-related changes in liver function may affect skeletal muscle metabolism, decreasing the amount of blood sugar available to muscles during prolonged activity. Because not enough sugar is available to supply needed energy, muscle protein may be broken down as an alternate energy source. However, toxic effects on muscle may be a direct result of alcohol itself rather than of its breakdown products.

Although alcoholic peripheral neuropathy may contribute to muscle weakness and atrophy by injuring the motor nerves controlling muscle movement, alcoholic neuropathy more commonly affects sensory fibers. Injury to these fibers can cause tingling or burning pain in the feet, which may be severe enough to interfere with walking. As the condition worsens, pain decreases but numbness increases.
|

replied March 15th, 2012
Is this reversible if you stop drinking alcohol
|

replied March 15th, 2012
alcohol and muscle soreness
Is this reversible if you stop drinking alcohol
|

replied October 15th, 2007
Me Too
I have the same symptoms - I would love to know the answer.
|

User Profile
replied October 15th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
allergy to it perhaps?
|

replied October 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Muscle Ache When I Drink Wine Coolers
lascano1960 wrote:
Does anyone know why my shoulder muscles and neck muscles hurt as if someone beat me up when I drink 2 or 3 wine coolers? I quit drinking them, but, I need to know an answer as to why it does it to me. It also makes my upper arm muscles hurt. Never my lower body. Hmmm.

I get that too when I drink alcohol! For me it's mixed vodka as that's what I like the best, but your shoulder and neck symptoms are identical to mine. It feels like you did a huge workout, right? I don't drink anymore for the same exact reason.
|

Especially eHealthy
serratia wrote:

Symptoms include painless weakness of the limb muscles closest to the trunk and the girdle muscles, including the thighs, hips, shoulders, and upper arms. This weakness develops gradually, over weeks or months, without symptoms of acute muscle injury. Muscle atrophy, or decreased bulk, may be striking. The nerves of the extremities may also begin to break down, a condition known as alcoholic peripheral neuropathy, which can add to the person's difficulty in moving.

That's not what we have. What happens to us us instantaneous (nearly) pain in only the neck, shoulders and upper arms, and ONLY when actually consuming the alcohol. There is no loss of movement or feeling, just an addition of pain. For me, it goes away within the hour as the alcohol is taken care of by the body.
|

replied November 15th, 2011
Yes, that is exactly how it is with me. went to doctor and she put me on prescription prilosec, but that didnt work. pepto stops the pain in 5 minutes, alka seltzer works immediately, but makes me throw up. It started happening to me in severe cases right around the time i started taking high blood pressure medicine every day. And beer does not affect me at all, neither does tequila shots. Those are the only two things that dont cause it to happen to me
|

Especially eHealthy
I posted something on this almost a year ago, and the best explanation I got was this:

Alcohol causes your muscles to relax. Many people have tense muscles in the neck and shoulder region. When these muscles are affected by alcohol, it can cause soreness as they stretch out and relax.
|

replied November 4th, 2011
I totally agree bc this happens to me often as I just had it happen tonight so I found this post....b4 I googled it I did think it was about being so tense and my muscles relaxing so bravo to u for easing my mind lol thanks Smile
|

That makes sense, but its not a soreness, its an excrutiating pain that also causes severe sweating.
|

replied December 6th, 2011
I have this! It is severe pain - even to the tough, in the neck, shoulders and a little in the chest. I also get the severe sweating and I have a hard time sleeping the next evening - it's like the worst handover of my life. So much so, I don't want to drink anymore. I feel like it's a metabolism issue.
|

replied November 19th, 2007
Hi. I always get a achy neck and shoulders when I drink alcohol - funny how it seems to pass after my 4th glass though Wink

I agree that I think it is to do with tension. I get a lot of tension headaches too. Alcohol relaxes your muscles and causes it to become more painful if you already have tension.

You could try massages to relax the muscles. I went to the doctors but the only thing they offered me was anti depressants as they are good for tension but I didn't want to try them. I'd be interested to know of any alternate remedies if you have any?

Thanks
|

pepto works best for me. takes five minutes then gone. alks seltzer works quicker but makes me throw up
|

replied November 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Sorry I missed this post! eHealth stopped notifying of new replies at one point haha.

Eh, massage is all I can advise. I'm not going to take something unnatural just so I can drink a mind-altering drug :/
|

replied November 26th, 2007
Me Too!
I get almost the exact same thing, except I get achiness in my upper arms and thighs. I was worried something was really wrong, so I was checking online and found your post. Glad I'm not the only one.

The only information I've been able to find is about chronic alcohol abuse, not the effect of just one or 2 drinks. I've found some references to AIMD (seems to be more for chronic use) and Hypokalemic periodic paralysis (http://pennhealth.com/ency/article/000312 .htm). I'm planning to mention it to my doc on my next visit and see if he has any ideas.
|

replied December 29th, 2007
Muscle Ache When Drinking Wine Coolers
I was interested in the comments about muscle pain when drinking wine coolers. I seldom drink alcohol in any form but one evening a friend brought wine coolers and I experienced unusual muscle pain. I didn.t understand the connection and on another occasion tried drinking these again. The same thing happened. I was interested to see that this has happened to someone else. It seemed very stange.
|

replied December 29th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Muscle Ache When Drinking Wine Coolers
janefrances wrote:
I was interested in the comments about muscle pain when drinking wine coolers. I seldom drink alcohol in any form but one evening a friend brought wine coolers and I experienced unusual muscle pain. I didn.t understand the connection and on another occasion tried drinking these again. The same thing happened. I was interested to see that this has happened to someone else. It seemed very stange.

It seems to happen with alcohol in general for me. I had a daqurie the other night and same thing, shoulder pain.
|

replied February 23rd, 2008
Alcohol Pains
I hurt AFTER I drink alcohol- it doesn't matter if I have ONE drink or 7. I have had a margarita during lunch and feel like crap a few hours later- it actually feels like I have been beaten or something! Its the worst when I drink at night- when I wake up I feel like I have been hit by a car! And NO I am not hungover Smile Even if I have a glass of wine with dinner and go to sleep- I wake up with horrible muscle aches. I looked up allergies to alcohol and the only symptoms I have seen are red faces, hot faces, itchy...that kind of thing. So what the heck could this be? Anyone have any ideas?????
|

replied February 24th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
That's a lot different from what I get. I'm not sure what's causing your problems, but it seems like for the lot of us, alcohol is just a No!!
|

replied May 18th, 2008
wine coolers
I am so so excited to know that I am not the only one this happens to. I couldn't explain it to others, they didn't understand. wine coolers and margaritas are the only alcohal that makes me feel this way. my neck and back hurt so bad I can't move. once I drink a couple more it finally goes away.
|

replied July 18th, 2008
maybe you drink too much Very Happy
maybe you can try doing what i do. when i get the usual hangover, i just whip off a nice warm bath with some aromatic bath salts to help me relax and get rid of the muscle ache associated with it.
|

replied May 16th, 2009
muscle aches and drinking alcohol...
I agree, I am thrilled others have this...I thought I was nuts. It hurts so much when I start to drink, I use to have to keep drinking to lessen the pain. I agree that it seems to be muscles relaxing and we are so tense it is excruciating. I just don't bother drinking anymore.
|

replied May 22nd, 2009
It's weird, I get the same thing, but only with drinks like wine coolers or twisted teas. But if I drink beer it doesn't have that effect.
|

replied June 6th, 2009
help
my lower back hurts when i drink beer
|

replied June 9th, 2009
i've been having this problem for years. i don't think it's the alcohol, but what it is mixed with. for me, it's usually a vodka collins or some other sweet mixed drink. it's only when it's something very sweet. it's an intense upper body pain that goes away in about an hour. it takes less than one drink to feel it. glad that i'm not the only one Smile
|