Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Spinel Cord Stimulater

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
i am 22 years old and hurt my back while working turned out to have a herniated disc. severe lower back pain and left leg pain, Had a corizone injection, didnt help, went thru physcial therapy didnt help. Had back surgery at the L5 S1 disc. didnt work. classified with failed back surgery syndrome. Had more physcial therapy, acupunturce, another cortizone shot, massage therapy, pool therapy, tens unit no relief. Wondering if anyone has had the spinal cord simulator
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 11th, 2007
Re: Spinel Cord Stimulater
matt500 wrote:
i am 22 years old and hurt my back while working turned out to have a herniated disc. severe lower back pain and left leg pain, Had a corizone injection, didnt help, went thru physcial therapy didnt help. Had back surgery at the L5 S1 disc. didnt work. classified with failed back surgery syndrome. Had more physcial therapy, acupunturce, another cortizone stuff, massage therapy, pool therapy, tens unit no relief. Wondering if anyone has had the spinal cord simulator

I wish you well man. The Docs are leaning towards that for me as well. I don't like the idea at all. But I might not have a choice.
|

replied October 25th, 2007
Hi Matt500,
I have had 6 back ops and the last one was a spinal stim. implant in 1999. My experience might be different from others. I have a vibration down my leg from minor nerve damage possibly from surgery. Anyway The stimultor gives you a vibration to change the pain sensation. In my case it didn't help my pain and now I have more mid back pain because of a plastic anchor placed in my mid back to keep the stimulator leads in place. I need another op just to take the battery pack and leads out of my back. Every case is different. Some people get fantastic relief from these spinal stimulators so the more input you get from people the better.
Take care and I hope you make a better decision than I did.
Sandy
|

replied November 6th, 2009
spineal stimulator infections
my husband nearly died from infection after having stimulator in his back 2 months. still in hospital been there 6 wks. maybe out in 2 more.legs and kidneys are paralyzed. family called in twice.whatrecourse do we have?
|

replied November 8th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Re: spineal stimulator infections
poppajoe wrote:
my husband nearly died from infection after having stimulator in his back 2 months. still in hospital been there 6 wks. maybe out in 2 more.legs and kidneys are paralyzed. family called in twice.whatrecourse do we have?

I'm so sorry to hear about these problems and complications that you husband has suffered. I've never heard of any of it happening from having a SCS implanted, but that doesn't mean it can't or doesn't happen.

You need to check with a malpractice attorney as to what kind of recourse you may or may not have. There are so many factors that would/could determine that.

Good luck and my prayers are with you, your husband and your family.

Fran
|

replied November 8th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Spinel Cord Stimulater
matt500 wrote:
i am 22 years old and hurt my back while working turned out to have a herniated disc. severe lower back pain and left leg pain, Had a corizone injection, didnt help, went thru physcial therapy didnt help. Had back surgery at the L5 S1 disc. didnt work. classified with failed back surgery syndrome. Had more physcial therapy, acupunturce, another cortizone shot, massage therapy, pool therapy, tens unit no relief. Wondering if anyone has had the spinal cord simulator

Before you proceed with having an SCS implanted, you should get several more opinions as to whether you really have failed back surgery syndrome.

Even though that is a real diagnosis, many doctors label a patient with this diagnosis, because they don't know what is wrong and don't have the ability to determine what is going on.

I have known spine patients who where diagnosed as failed spinal surgery syndrome and with second opinions and a correct diagnosis, they had the appropriate surgery and went on to be fine.

Good luck

Fran
|

replied March 2nd, 2010
Pain stimulater
I just returned from an appointment my friend had to remove a back stimulater yesterday March 1. Her doctor said it needed to be removed in order for him to help her with her pain so he personaly made the appointment. Appantly my friend had this device put in to alleviate her pain in her back that had been broken in a car accident. She was afraid she would become dependent on drugs. This device sounded like it was the ticket to freedom from that possibility. So the surgury was done last year.. it worked two weeks out of the year and after many replacements and the clinics slow response to maintain the device she decided it was time to have it removed..She was in severe pain.
When she arrived at the clinic where the surgury was to take place she was told she was not on the list and instructed to go down hall to wait for another doctor.
Apparantly the clinic did not think she needed to remove the device. They thought she was exagerating the "no maintentance" and they knew better.. finally, she convinced them, after all it said in her contract "u can have removed at any time"?
But the most interesting was the doctor who performs the surgury came in (obviously not happy camper) and told my friend if she removed it she would become a druggy. I personally found his bedside manner atrocious. Whoa.. He stomped out while saying that he wouldnt do the surgury someone else could..
My friend is still waiting for surgery and in pain.

So... my thoughts on this are . . . in a perfect world this device would be awsome. You would have surgery, the stimulater would be monitored for ultimate performance, batteries would be replaced, doctors would have great bedside manners, and u would not be in pain. but..

It is not a perfect world. I think this device does work. I think if everyone worked together and performed their tasks and communicated with each other the goals they set for this device would be awsome. If u say this clinic exists, fine.. then how about i sell u waterfront property in Arizona!

ok im done ranting Smile
|

replied March 2nd, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
boy thats terrible. i sure wouldnt want to be associated with that clinic. stimulators work for some and not others.
i think your friend is lucky that surgeon isnt going to take it out. i wouldnt want him cutting my toe nail!!!.......pete
|

replied March 2nd, 2010
lol
lol pete Smile I think you are right.
|