Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

How fast does cancer spread ?

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
How fast does cancer spread and can it be detected by ultrasound?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
There is no certain amount of time that it takes for cancer to spread. In some people, cancer might spread in a matter of weeks. In other people, they might have a lump for years that never spreads.

Women are supposed to get checked for cervical cancer every year once they turn 18 or become sexually active, whatever happens first. That is what pap smears check for. Cervical cancer is usually one of the easier cancers to find and treat.

Ovarian cancer is not quite as easy to detect. Scientists are currently studying a transvaginal ultrasound that they hope will help to detect ovarian cancer earlier.
|

replied May 28th, 2007
So is it possible if you are not sexually active to get this?
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Cervical cancer is generally caused by HPV, which is sexually transmitted. Ovarian cancer is not related to STDs. All women are supposed to get checked for cervical cancer by the time they turn 18, even if they are not sexually active.
|

replied May 28th, 2007
ok, thanks . I think im more worried about overian then. Is there any way of telling? I had an ultrasound (not for that specifically but my lower abdomen)
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Ovarian cancer is a little bit difficult to detect early. Many women often do not know they have it until they have had it for some time and develop symptoms. There are a few ways that doctors can detect ovarian cancer. It would be kind of long for me to type it all out, but I find a link that does a nice job of listing them all.

About ovarian cancer symptoms and detection: http://www.medicinenet.com/ovarian_cancer/ page3.htm.

Ovarian cancer is usually seen in women over 50 years old who have a history of ovarian cancer in their family.
|

replied May 28th, 2007
the link doesnt work. I under 17 and have a list of symptom but the doctor cant find what the problem is.
|

replied May 30th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
This Site Might Help
Hi
I thought I would add that this site might help. Good luck.
http://www.medhelp.org/
|

replied March 7th, 2009
CANCER THAT WAS NOT DETECTED
My sister just had a baby in nov. and started having symtoms such as bloating, vomiting, backache, and stomach pain in the mid part of jan. she went to the er three times the first time they told her she had a uti and she needed to make an appt. with a gi doc. the second time they told her that it look like her iud was dislarge and that she should have it removed. by the third time they kept her and said they suspected cancer because of the fluid that was building up in her stomach. maybe (ovarian) they kept her in the hospital for 3 more weeks before they started to do any of the procedures that would confirm the diagnosis. when we started talking about transfering her, they jump right on the topic of surgery and schedule her appt. for that next week. we thought they were just going to do a biopsy she ended up with staples all the way down her stomach. they said that her intestines look like they were glued together and they were going to start her on chemo and dialilsis(not sure of spelling). then a few days later they said the type of cancer she had was rare and it had spreaded through out her body and they couldn't do anything for her. the next week she passed away mar.5... i want to know what type of cancer could it really have been and why wasn't it detected by the obgyn or the other two er that she went to. she was only 30 years old
|

replied March 7th, 2009
Experienced User
Chanellew - Wow that's a horrible story I'm so sorry for your loss. They should have been able to tell you more information. In cases like this you have to demand information almost to the point of being a pain in the a$*. You may want to have a lawyer look at your case. It seems like they took forever to make an type of diagnosis. If she was in the hospital for that long you would think they could come up with something useful... Again I'm so sorry for your loss...
|

replied March 8th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
You should get her medical records. Her cancer will be listed in there, as will all the procedures she went through.
|

replied March 15th, 2009
Chanellew
That sounds an awful lot like what my close friend had - Appendiceal Cancer (Cancer of the Appendix)). Look it up - it has the characteristic you describe (sticky). I almost thought someone was talking about her, until I read the date and age. She died on March 2nd, and was 36. 8 months to the day after diagnosis.

It is a rare form of colon cancer, and the MD Anderson clinic in TX who confirmed the dx by the hospital she was first in, said that they were impressed that the docs diagnosed.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your sister.
|

replied March 16th, 2009
curiousity
I was about 6 months late on getting my pap, I have a hx of hpv(had leep done 5 yrs ago). A few months ago I had a night I just bleed, and then that was it, never did anything like it, then there has been some on/off yellowish vag discharge, then this month I had about 4 days of rusty looking spotting before I started my period. I did go get my Pap, a week ago actually, does anyone have any ideas on this, should I worry?
|

replied March 21st, 2009
My mother had this "sticky" stuff, the DR described it as gum sticking to her organs, they were inhesions(not sure of spelling).She had three surgeries through a coarse of about 10 years till they finely gave her a hysterectomy,she has been fine since that.I am so sorry to hear of your sister,I hope you get to the bottom of all this.
|

replied November 12th, 2009
Hi
I am 30 and going thru this exactly like the post about sister. I had my son last November. Now I am having all these symptoms and ER told me it's my gallbladder even tho it looked fine on ultrasound. I didn't return to work after my babys birth so lost my insurance, and now that I'm unwell my husband has just now decided to try to add me to his insurance. I am scared to death (and even more so now) and no one will help me. I have messed up periods that come too early or too late. They aren't really heavy but very liquidy/runny. Pelvic and rt abdominal pain. Pain in shoulders. Pain in rt leg. Occasional low grade fever. No appetite. Nausea. low back pain. Very frequent urination. No energy. Very depressed and have lost 20lbs in the past 2 months. I don't know what to do with myself. I can barely take care of my children (4 and almost 1) it hurts to pick them up or hold them. I'm afraid I'm going to just die one day.
|

replied December 8th, 2009
Goldiebird.
Goldiebird,

Make an apt at a doc near you, take a list of all your problems and tell them you want/need help. Tell them about your fear that you will just die one day before you get help and that it is affecting your life with your children and your family. Explain that you have a fear you might have cancer and that you know your body better then anyone and your body is telling you something is wrong. Tell them you will keep coming back until they find out what is wrong with you that you have two small children and need to be able to care and be there for them. Don't let them put you off with statements like don't worry its nothing you need to worry about. Be strong and tough and stand up for yourself, its the only way to get things done these days with doctors and hospitals is to fight for yourself and your health. My partner died on Oct 15, 2006 because we were not tough enough with the docs when they told her it was nothing to worry about. It was and when they finally got around to finding it, she died 3 months to the day later with stage 4 ovarian cancer because we were not pro-active and pushed for more tests sooner. I wish you all the luck darlin. Pick up the phone and call today... YOU, your husband and your babies deserve to know what is going on and hopefully its nothing but why take a chance... PUSH for what is your right to good health. The earlier you find out what is going on the better chance you have.
|

replied February 26th, 2011
Ovarain cancer or Endo?
My wife had her Ultrasound and (Vigina Ultrasound which was not requested by the doctor). This made us worry especially when we saw big black circles on the ultrasound screen on the right ovary. The nurse refused to say anything and mentioned that the doctor will have to see it first and then write his report. My wife has been not feeling well for the past two months...very tired with long sleeping hours...with stomache problems and abdomenal pain. her last two periods were too short and painful but she used to feel pain since she was 15. She have nausea and she can't drive the car. she delivered our daughter 4 years ago and she is now 30 years old. Everyone is saying that her skin is getting whiter these days...the white color that no one likes..more of white and blue than white and red...
We do have insurance but tests are taking too long ( 10 days) which is unbelievable....I am really worried that she has ovarian cancer..or endometriosis...can someone guide me from what I saw on the ultrasound screen..the big black circles...
|

replied November 16th, 2011
Black circles on an ultrasound can also indicate cysts, most of which are harmless.
|

replied March 8th, 2011
The big black circles are eggs in phase waiting to mature and ovulate- don't worry about those. I have seent hose when I was going through fertility treatments.
|