Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

My Mom Had a Stoke 10 Days Ago Memory Loss

Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
my mom just had a big stroke to her left side of te brain she lost her speech and eating functions and her right side is parilized i want to know if she will ever recover her memory she doesnt know me or her granddaughter is there any chance shell recover she is only 57 olease help me im really stressed out
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rjb71
|

replied May 26th, 2007
MY MOM HAD A MINOR STROKE A FEW DAYS AGO. HER SPEACH WAS AFFECTED AND SHE REALLY COULD NOT MOVE. IT WAS HER RIGHT SIDE THAT WAS THE MAIN PROBLEM. SHE CAN MOVE NOW AND HER SPEACH IS BETTER BUT NOT 100%. I SPOKE TO A NEUROLOGIST AND HE SAID THAT IT CAN TAKE TIME TO RECOVER. THE PROCESS CAN BE SLOW. HE ALSO SAID THAT THE SPEACH CAN TAKE A FEW MONTHS TO GET BACK TO 90%. I AM REALLY SCARED NOW TO CAUSE MY MOM IS AN ALCOHOLIC AND SHE WENT TO MY AUNTS HOUSE AND I KNOW SHE WILL LET HER DRINK AND SMOKE. WHEN SHE HAD THE STROKE THE DR DID NOT KNOW IF SHE WOULD BE PARALYZED. I THOUGHT I LOST HER. I KNOW THE STRESS AND FEAR. IF YOU NEED TO TALK I AM HERE FOR YOU.MY MOM IS ONLY 57 ALSO.
|

replied May 27th, 2007
27ROSES wrote:
MY MOM HAD A MINOR STROKE A FEW DAYS AGO. HER SPEACH WAS AFFECTED AND SHE REALLY COULD NOT MOVE. IT WAS HER RIGHT SIDE THAT WAS THE MAIN PROBLEM. SHE CAN MOVE NOW AND HER SPEACH IS BETTER BUT NOT 100%. I SPOKE TO A NEUROLOGIST AND HE SAID THAT IT CAN TAKE TIME TO RECOVER. THE PROCESS CAN BE SLOW. HE ALSO SAID THAT THE SPEACH CAN TAKE A FEW MONTHS TO GET BACK TO 90%. I AM REALLY SCARED NOW TO CAUSE MY MOM IS AN ALCOHOLIC AND SHE WENT TO MY AUNTS HOUSE AND I KNOW SHE WILL LET HER DRINK AND SMOKE. WHEN SHE HAD THE STROKE THE DR DID NOT KNOW IF SHE WOULD BE PARALYZED. I THOUGHT I LOST HER. I KNOW THE STRESS AND FEAR. IF YOU NEED TO TALK I AM HERE FOR YOU.MY MOM IS ONLY 57 ALSO.
THANKS FOR REPLYING I REALLY OPE MY MOM CAN RECOVER SHE IS IN THE HOSPITAL SINCE LAST FRIDAY AND SHE HAS NOT SAID A WORD IM SCARED BECAUSE SHE DOESNT EVEN KNOW WHO I M IM WORRIED THAT ALL THE YEARS OF MEMRIES ARE GONE.ONCE AGAIN THANKS
|

replied May 27th, 2007
Hi. my mom went in last friday also. i would see if there is a test they can do to see if there is any more info on what the stroke may have caused. my mom had a test after the stroke called (spelling?) corroted ultrasound. she went in and found 3 clots and a few days ago she had the stroke. i dont know if this test is given to everyone who had a stroke. i would maybe ask the dr what affects he thinks is going to be the outcome from the stroke and how long till she starts to improve. i was told that it can be a slow process. i also get scared that my mom will do more damage to her because i know she will smoke and drink. if you need to talk im here. ill say a prayer for her.
|

replied August 2nd, 2007
Stroke Prognosis
I'm needing some information/advice on strokes.
My Grandmother, who is 81, had a stroke at the beginning of July. She is now in a nursing home where she has been for a week. She is receiving occupational and physical therapy but they don't have a speech therapist yet.
She is paralyzed on her right side and has a feeding tube in her stomach.
She gets frustrated when we don't understand what she's trying to say (she can only moan) but does seem to understand when we talk to her or ask questions; she responds by shaking her head yes or no. This week was the first time I saw any kind of facial expression (she was trying to smile when I visited with my children).
I'm wondering how good her prognosis is and what can be done to help with speech until she starts therapy.
|

replied August 2nd, 2007
WHEN MY MOM HAD A STROKE, ONE OF THE DR'S SAID THAT RECOVERY COULD TAKE TIME AND BE A SLOW PROCESS. SHE ALSO HAD SOME TESTING DONE TO SEE IF THERE WAS ANY OTHER DAMAGE TO HER AFTER THE STROKE. THERAPY HELPED HER AS WELL. I WOULD TALK TO HER DR AND ASK HOW HER PROGRESS IS SIENCE THE STROKE.
|

replied May 13th, 2009
My 21 year old had a stroke two months ago. What a shock. Her symptons were about the same. loss of right side of body. loss of speech and facial muscles on right side. They started working with her the day after her stroke for her facial muscles and speech. Her speech is 95% better now. They stressed to us how important it is to get started with therapies right away. She had therapy everyday when she was in ICU then she went onto in patient rebah where she had 6 days a week for three weeks. She is now in out patient therapy 3 times a week. She has speech, occupational and physical. They told us to give recovery time one year.
|

replied September 1st, 2010
WHAT DO I DO ABOUT THIS ?
My mother had a stoke a couple of week and she lose her right side and now she have a feed tube in her stomach and now i dont understand what to do so i think she need some love and support i though she was mad at me but that the stoke can i get some answer from some out their
|

replied September 9th, 2010
My great grandma just had a stroke. I would say to just really pray for your mother.I know that it reeeeally helps when you sit with her and just read the Bible out loud. You should seriosly do this. Because the Bible and Jesus touches the inner soul like nothing else. And it would do much good for her. God bless you to go through all of this!!
|

replied October 20th, 2010
I've been reading some studies recently correlating the number of circulating stem cells one has in their body with various health conditions including stroke prevention and recovery. Some suggest that there are any of a number of dietary and lifestyle factors which directly impact the number of stem cells circulating doing their thing. I've actually also heard some positive reports about natural supplement like healingstemcells [dot] com. Hope that helps.
|

replied November 14th, 2010
My mother had a stroke at age 42, 17 years ago. I was 11 at the time. What I can tell you is that a 2nd opinion is important as my mother was told she would never walk again and yet was able to walk 100m without support within a year. Her stroke was very severe and she was close to death and in a coma for 6 months. We only knew she could hear us becuase she was able to squeeze her hand in response to questions. Try not gauge recovery time on anything but progress where you are, as the brain is a complicated piece of machinery. Take hope in the fact that support can produce wonderful effects and make sure you read up on strokes and how best to work through problems together. It will not be easy but people can accomplish increadible things when they have hope.
all the best to you all
|

replied September 13th, 2012
help with my mum
my Mum had her first three mini stroke at 38 and I will 10 at the time. She has a another one three weeks ago and is now home. She had physio, spreech and occupaional therpy everyday at the hospital. She pushed herself and she final got home after three weeks. She is home now, but she has seemed to stop progressing. She has help three times a day, but the physio etc has stopped. I have contacted the doctors to start this up again, I just dont want her to go backward. Her memory isnt as good as it was and I think it is because she isnt be challenged and is bored.

She went out today across to her friends, but I am scare for her. I am getting stressed and I find it so hard to be patient with her. I just want her to get better. How do I help her and stay calm
|
Quick Reply