Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Upper Eyelid Swollen : what causes swelling ? allergies ?

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
User Profile
WHAT COULD BE CAUSING MY UPPER EYELIDS TO SWELL UP OVERNIGHT? SOME MORNINGS, THE LEFT EYE ESPECIALLY, IS SO PUFFED UP IT ACTUALLY TOUCHES THE LASHES. IT IS ALWAYS WORSE IN THE SPRING AND SUMMER MONTHS, SO I ORIGINALLY SAW AN ALLERGIST ABOUT IT ASSUMING IT COULD BE AN ALLERGIC REACTION TO SOMETHING. I HAD JUST BOUGHT A NEW MATTRESS SET AND WAS HOPING I WASN'T ALLERGIC TO IT. SHE FELT IT WAS NOT AN ALLERGY, BUT SOMETHING CALLED ANGIO ADEMA. SHE SUGGESTED TO AVOID USING ASPIRIN AND IBUPROFEN, AND USE COLD COMPRESSES. THOSE SUGGESTIONS HELPED SOME, BUT I WASN'T CONVINCED THAT WAS THE CORRECT DIAGNOSIS. SO, I WENT TO SEE AN OPTHAMALOGIST. HE FOUND THAT I HAD MODERATE TO SEVERE DRY EYE. HE CLOSED MY LOWER TEAR DUCTS WHICH SOLVED THAT PROBLEM, BUT NOT THE SWELLING ISSUE. IT IS REALLY DRIVING ME NUTS. I CAN'T WHERE EYE MAKE-UP SOME DAYS AND THE PUFFINESS MAKES ME LOOK WEIRD. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S JUST OLD AGE BECAUSE IT COMES AND GOES. SOME DAYS I LOOK NORMAL. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorAnswer
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2007
General Q&A Answer A2843
According to the symptoms you've mentioned (swelling of the eyelids, especially in the spring and summer), you might be experiencing angio-edema. Angio-edema is characterized by rapid swelling of the skin, mucosa and submucosal issues. Most commonly, the skin of the face (as well as other parts of the body), swells up over a period of minutes to several hours. Sometimes angio-edema is linked to a recent exposure to allergens, but in other cases its cause is idiopathic (unknown). You can request routine blood tests, and check the mast cell tryptase levels and complement levels in the blood in order to come to a more precise diagnosis of the condition. You can request these examinations at your primary care physician's office.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.