Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Complications during Pregnancy Forum

Gastroschisis

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
im 24 weeks and my baby has gastroschisis has anybody gone through this or no of anyone please let me know wat happened im really scared
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 4th, 2007
Hi I have not heard of this condition, my baby has a Diaphramic Hernia and is due in August and I am very scared, look at this website and see if it helps you. Good luck and best wishes,

Jenny

http://www.geeps.co.uk/geeps.htm
|

replied September 3rd, 2009
i am 23 weeks pregnant and i also dicovered a few weeks ago that we have gastroschisis. i've looked into it a lot and yes, it worries me and i am scared, but it is definately fixable. your baby will be ok. you will just have a long couple of weeks when he/she is born.
good luck
|

replied November 6th, 2009
Gastroschisis
Hi, I have gastroschisis and I am 24 years old. I was born in 1985 with a bad case and then they were able to not only save me but to help me to have a normal childhood. I have not had any problems growing up, just slight scar tissue discomfort! So be positive because I'm sure everything will turn out just fine...he or she might just want a belly button at some point in their life.
|

replied December 27th, 2011
were you able to get pregnant yourself? Any issues?
|

replied October 23rd, 2010
My wife and I are 4 1/2 months into pregnancy, and just discovered our baby has Gastroschisis. We are concerned as you all are too. My wife is now scared that if we have sex, we might damage the intestines that are outside.Do any of you know if this is a possibility or not?
|

replied November 8th, 2010
I would worry, read my story.
at 18 wks. my baby boy was diagnose with gastroschisis. At 24 weeks we ran into complications. The baby's intestines are dialated and some have been already pronounced dead. Im sorry but yes! BE WORRIED. Initially dr.s said is not a big deal to have a baby with this type of birth defect so we thought nothing of it. Now im 28 wks. and my baby may not live or if he lives he would have to have multiple surgeries including transplants, tube feedings, colonocopy bag etc. with no real warranty he could ever live a normal life.
|

replied December 27th, 2011
I was born with Gastroschisis in 1984, was in hospital for a months, and return surgery at age 9... other than that I am pretty healthy. My husband and I are now trying to get pregnant, and recently had an etopic pregnancy with the removal of my left tube, because there was so much scar tissue from the gastroschisis surgery as a baby... I have concerns that if I do become pregnant will my scar (and internal scar tissue) be able to hold my pregnancy to full term?? Any other ladies out there born with Gastroschisis and able to have children?? Please help!
|

replied February 11th, 2012
Im 23 and was born with this. The doctors gave me 6 months most but recovered from surgery and turned out to prove them wrong. I was out in 6weeks and I am pregnant withmy third child. Yes be worried but also remember it could go one way or the other. Don't over worry. I have not had any further complications apart from constipation. And until I fell pregnant with my first i thought it was normal to have bowl movement only when I had my period.
|

replied September 28th, 2013
Gastroschisis
I'm almost 31, pregnant on my second baby. I was born with gastroschisis in 1982, when it was very unknown and hard to treat, I also had a ruptured stomach. The ultrasounds didn't pick up on it, so I was born a month early via c section. I was left to one side while they rushed to clean my mother. One doctor had the heart to wrap me in clingfilm and phone the hospital in Cardiff.
Like most born then I have a large scar that covers the length of my stomach. It hurts a bit during pregnancy, as scar tissue can't stretch.
On a personal note I've been self conscious about the scar but most people are just interested to hear about it. I've had no problems with it over the years, plus the scar is minimal for baby's born today!
|