I just want to know what kind of treatment im likely to need after 3 'weak positive' blood test results?
Will i need treatment everyday or just while im trying to conceive and pregnant? Or just while pregnant? Also i have the laparoscopy coming up should i be administered anything to prevent blood clots due to the surgery and recovery?
What would be the best questions to ask the consultant to make sure im getting the best care?
I know you are busy but im very concerned and im not sleeping because of it which is affecting my fibromyalgia. Any help would be great. I just want to be prepared for my appointment.
There are few blood tests (serological, blood count, sedimentationâ¦) for confirming lupus but they are not a 100% secure confirmation of the condition because other rheumatic diseases can indicate the same laboratory results. At least 4 of these 11 diagnostic criteria have to be present to confirm lupus:
1. Malar rash (rash on cheeks)
2. Discoid lupus (red, scaly patches on skin which cause scarring)
3. Photosensitivity (adverse reaction to sunlight)
4. Mouth or nose ulcers
6. More than 0.5g per day protein in urine, or cellular casts seen in urine under a microscope.
7. Seizures or psychosis
8. Pleuritis (inflammation of the membrane around the lungs) or pericarditis (inflammation of the membrane around the heart)
9. Hemolytic anemia (low red blood cell count), leukopenia (low white blood cell count), lymphopenia (low lymphocyte count) or thrombocytopenia (low platelet count)
10. Antinuclear antibody test (positive ANA), very sensitive (98%) but non specific.
11. Anti-Sm antibody or false positive serological test for syphilis or antiphospholipid antibody positivity, presence of Anti-ss DNA in 70% of patients.
In your case, you mentioned only âpositive blood resultsâ without more detailed information about which blood tests were positive. If lupus is confirmed via further diagnostic procedures, therapy is absolutely necessary. Corticosteroids are used for treating lupus and are not contraindicated with pregnancy. You can consult a rheumatologist to confirm or exclude lupus as a possible diagnosis for these symptoms and your present medical condition.
A laparoscopy is a relatively safe procedure. Surgical trauma during laparoscopy is minimal. To further clarify, hydrosalpinx is a complication and final stage of tubal infection (salpingitis) and is treated surgically. If both tubes are affected, conception will be very difficult. An incompetent cervix is often reason for miscarriage in the second half of the pregnancy.
"Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals.
For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our
medical experts page.
You may also visit our Lupus , for moderated patient to patient support and information.
The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician.
Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.