Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Surgery Forum

Laser Hair Removal On Underarm, Should I?

I'm so tired of shaving and not even considering waxing, my underarm. I'm very shallow about hair on parts of my body. I can shave my arms and legs and don't mind them but its underarms are annoying. I want to wear a tank top and not be concerning about my hair under my arm.

I'm 15 turning 16 and want to get laser hair removal on my underarm.

What is the cons?

What is the pros?

also am im too young?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
The only good thing about it is that it gets rid of some of your hair for some time. It is not a 100% thing. That means you should not expect it to get rid of all of your hair for the rest of your life.

"Although laser hair removal doesn't guarantee permanent hair removal, it does extend the "hair-free" period, which can vary from several months to several years. With multiple treatments, long-term hair removal is possible...

Studies show that for suitable candidates, hair removal lasers can reduce hair counts by 40 percent to 80 percent. Results vary from person to person, however, and some people respond better to treatment than others.

Multiple treatments can prolong the duration of hair loss, but hair regrowth is possible. Also as you age, unwanted hair growth inevitably continues, and you may need repeat treatments in the future....

Laser hair removal is effective only on short, visible hair."
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/laser-hai r-removal/HQ00981

There are a lot of bad things about it, although they are not life threatening.

"You may notice some redness and swelling for the first few hours. Also, stinging may occur for the first 24 to 48 hours. Some people experience a slight crusting of the skin. If crusting occurs, keep the area moist with petroleum jelly (Vaseline).

After treatment:

* Avoid exercise and exertion for the first 24 hours. Perspiration from exertion may increase irritation caused by the laser.
* Avoid exposure to the sun for several weeks after treatment. After this period, make sure you apply sunscreen whenever you're in the sun. Avoid tanning booths — the ultraviolet light damages the skin.
* Don't wax or pluck hairs between treatments.
* Don't pick at or manipulate the skin in treated areas.

Don't rub or scrub the treated area. You may gently wash the area with soap and water.

Side effects from laser hair removal include, but are not limited to:

* Darkening of the skin (hyperpigmentation). This is usually a temporary condition, but in rare instances, is long lasting or permanent.
* Lightening of the skin (hypopigmentation). This is of special concern with people who have darker skin. Laser hair treatment is more successful on fair skin, but darker skin can also be treated.
* Blistering and scarring. These rarely occur.
* Changes in the skin texture. These rarely occur.
* Crusting or scabbing. If this occurs, it's temporary.
* Hair changes. New hair growth may be finer and lighter in color. In some cases, new hair may grow in areas adjacent to the treated areas. This can be successfully treated with additional laser treatments."
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/laser-hai r-removal/HQ00981

I would think that you are too young. These things aren't free, and I don't think most insurance would cover it, since it is just a vanity issue. Also, doctors are not usually willing to do unnecessary procedures on young people. If you really feel the need to remove your underarm hair, you could try something like Nair.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.