Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

My First Endoscopy

Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
Yesterday, I just had my first EGD. I have had problems off and on for many years. I've went to Doctor's for years due to stabbing pains in my stomach. Never found out what it was. Recently, I was having an a problem with vomiting and nassua, but I believe it was because a prescription medication was increased to high. That is why the EGD was originally ordered, I decided to go ahead with it because I use to smoke, drink and have prior problems.
I was told to eat something light 6 hours prior to see if it was still there and it was. There is evidence of reflux (esophagitis) in the esophagus and Mucosal Abnormality (gastritis) in my stomach. A biopsy was taken and I am to start taking Prevacid, Reglan and go on a LOW Fiber Diet.
Has anyone had an experience with this, that they would like to share?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2007
Supporter
Hi
been there done that girlfriend.Was told the stabbing pains are from the gastritis. I ended up having Helicobacter pylori which casuses stomach disorders such as inflammed guts as well as could cause cancer if not taken care of.....................so, I did the 2 week rounds of antibiotics and got rid of this. Had been on prevacid for 6 years and it had stopped working. They want me to come in to swallow a tube to measure the acitidy (producing too much acid in stomach)....ain't gonna happen. Had another Dr. write me a script for Nexium. Have been on protonix. prevacid, zantac you name it..... Will start the nexium tis week to see if this stops all the acid. DOong so much better than last year. I do remember thee nausea and stomach growling as if I were starved......but gosh forbid you eat and get heartburn! SO you see, you AINT" ALONE! HAd that colonoscopy yet? THATs FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
|

replied June 6th, 2007
Endoscopy
hi ya had my first 1. two todays ago.all she told me is that i was very sore inside. ihad loads acid. testing me for ph im awaiting for my results.would she told me if i had cancer that day .all would my doctor tell me
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
Twinkle2006, I am not a physican, but I would think if the Dr found anything suspecious during the endoscopy and did biopsy, he could have this diagnosed immediately thru histology lab in hospital, That would allow him to know if you had any suspecaious spot that was malignant. Does this make sense? Please let me know about this pH test you are having. That was waht my Gastro. Dr. wanted to do next, but I said I was tired of all the test and knew I had overproduction of stomach acid from all the reflux and heartburn....Keep me informed please! Thanks a bunch!
|

replied June 6th, 2007
sorry i mean testing me for helicobacter pylori .she said takes 24 hours to find out. thats all she said yust very sore inside
|

replied June 6th, 2007
i dunno im worried the symtoms ive read on here its like i have them. especially stomach cancer. yust hope its yust acid
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
Thats what my dr told me. Lookedl ike someone had taken a steak knife and chopped. Was inflammed and irritated, but it was caused from the H. Pylori. I am clean now, went back for hte breath test to ensure if had been eradicated! YEAH! Now time ot heal....and it takes time! Laughing
|

replied June 6th, 2007
so do you still suffer from the acid .are you cured
|

replied June 6th, 2007
this h p ive only learned of it when she gave me the leflet. bit scary hen it says it can lead to stomach cancer .ive been a smoker since i was 15 yrs old .im now 38 .so im at high risk
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
Hi, I was a smoker for almost 30 years, been quit 15 years! Hardest thing I ever did in my life! Yes, I still have some heartburn, but its my own fault, cause I love TEXAS PETE and hot stuff! But, nothing like it was last year. I am 75% better after the H. pylori is gone and the healing has begun. WOuld probably heal a lot faster if I didn't love WINE and Capn Morgan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing
|

replied June 7th, 2007
hi ya got my test results from doctor.ive been told ive got mildgastritis.no h p.but wish this acid wouldnt come up and food in me mouth.ive been put on rentidine.cross me fingers it work Very Happy
|