Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Can Anxiety Affect You Digestive System ?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
What could it be?
Anxiety and Stress
Digestive Problems
Others
33%  33%  [ 1 ]
33%  33%  [ 1 ]
33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3
Hey, my name is Elisa, and for almost half a year i've been feeling sick everyday. At first the doctor thought it was something related with the stomach, then the gallblader, and now he thinks its the pancreas. He also thinks it might be because i'm feeling anxious. For almost half a year that there hasn't been a single day that i haven't feel bad or sick, i feel like my stomach's full everytime, even when i'm hours from the digestion. I tend to burp a lot, because i feel a lot of air in the stomach. I feel sick everyday and i can't stand this anymore :/
sometimes i eat things that i know that won't do me any good, and i don't feel sick, and other times i eat healthy food, and i get as sick as i can..
and other times i only feel sick when my digestion fineshes, and other times i get sick even before finishing my meal..
I wonder if ANYONE could help me, anything..
I'd apreciate it VERY much, because no one seems to be able to help me Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 24th, 2007
Experienced User
Have you ruled out any other possible illnesses such as irritable bowel syndrome and acid reflux?

If not, then you should start asking your doctors to try to rule out as many illnesses related to the stomach as possible.

If all results are negative and you still experience this sickness - then it might as well be anxiety. How did you come to think that it's your anxiety possibly causing this? I think you probably know that it does... but just aren't sure.

Even if the anxiety isn't causing any problems - you should still try to minimize it as much as possible.
|

replied May 24th, 2007
Hi,

I think I might have an answer to this.
My husband and my brother had similar symptoms, but the reason were 2 different things.

My brother has the exact same thing every time he has his exams at the university. The closer the D-day gets the worse he gets. Lasted a few days after the exams too. When we consulted a general Physician he said the mind can control the body in so many weired ways and these are things you could never guess. There was nothing wrong with his bowel system or his digestive system, or his stomach, but he would just get sick cos of the tensions and anxiety.
The only solution here is to try and calm yourself if you have anything that big to affect you so bad.

The other possibility is a condition called Reflux Oesophagitis. My husband had this problem which we initially thought was cos of the tension again. We pondered around a loooooooot of other conditions and after the whole month the doc explained it as a side effect of an infection in his lung ( a completely curable one) that was eating up his energy.

I am not trying to scare you with anything. Just to be on the safer side, an X-ray might help (as it did for us).
As Futurelovers suggested, you shud ask your physician to rule out other possible stomach disorders too.

Also try the possibility of food allergies. It may come and go at times...and may be a very simple ingredient in your food.

A full body check-up never hurts!!

Take care.
|

replied May 27th, 2007
Yes
Anxiety and stress are powerful things! They can effect all aspects of your life, including digesting...

If you are having other issues with your digestive tract it could be IBS, as stated earlier...
You may have Irritable Bowel Syndrome if you are experiencing any of these symptoms:

* A recurring change in bowel movements that can alternate between chronic constipation and bouts of diarrhea
* Fatigue
* Headache
* Nausea
* Painful bloating
* Flatulence/gas
* Abdominal discomfort, usually in the lower abdominal area

Diagnosis
Irritable Bowel Syndrome is diagnosed based on these criteria:

* Abdominal pain or discomfort that lasts for at least 12 weeks out of the previous 12 months.
* Pain is relieved by having a bowel movement.
* When the pain starts, there is a change in the frequency of bowel movements or a change in the form of the stool.

GOOD LUCK to you, hopefully you find a remedy that works. Maybe go to a doc, talk to him and take into consideration some alternative forms of treatment as well...
|

replied May 31st, 2007
Thanks!
Thanks to you all, who have replied to my post.

I went to the doctor last week and he told me that what i have is a disorder in what refers to empty the digestive fluids of my body(i don't know the better way to say this), and this is caused by 4 known causes:
1º lack of physical exercice
2º desregulation of hormones (usually related with women)
3º psycological interference in the system
4º fool alergies

the doctor thinks i have all of them, so he told me to exercice and do an alergy test in order to see if this is one of the causes.

well, i just have to exercice and wait for the time to pass!!
thank you all for helping me Smile
|

replied June 15th, 2011
Dog Health and Anxiety
Our staff at VitaHound is interested in how anxiety triggers different ailments in the canine physiology.
|