Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Pressure In Kidney Area

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
Hello.

I'm having some pressure in the area of my right kidney (i.e. around the lower area of my rib cage, kind of towards the back). Like, right in the floating rib area.

It feels as if there were a balloon under my rib cage and every few days somebody tries to inflate it just a little. I went to a doctor and he said he thought it was my liver that was "fatty", which he deduced from some blood tests. I weigh 250lbs and am definitely overweight. But people say I carry it really well, and I have a lot of muscle mass. But I have put on about 15 pounds in the last several months since I took a desk job. But the doctor didn't even feel the area with his hands!

I have a friend who is an echocardiographer. While he doesn't know much about kidneys, per se, he did an ultrasound on me and said he felt fairly certain there was no calcification (i.e. kidney stones).

Until today there was no pain, just pressure. Today it feels every-so-slightly tender if I press on the area with my fingers.

Do you guys have any ideas on this?

Best,
Tom
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Welcome to .eheath!

Are you having any pain or difficulty urinating?
|

replied May 23rd, 2007
No problems urinating. Also, urination is the normal yellow that it always is.

Pain is too strong of a word for what I'm feeling.
At first, it was just pressure.
Just now, I had to jog down the hall, and as my body bounced the area felt...tender. But not painful.
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
You may have a kidney infection. It can cause the area to be sore. Normally, antibiotics are all that is needed. You should call your doctor and tell them about it.
|

replied May 31st, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi
Could be reflux. Before I was diagnosed with PUJ obstruction the Dr. would explain that the pain was from urine backing up in the kidney. It could be from a number of reasons though. Kidney stones, obstruction or infection even. Drink plenty of water but check with your physician if it persists. Hang in there. Let us know what happens. Good luck.
|

replied November 13th, 2012
Lower back pain on the right side
Hey I need a quick answer as fast as possible!!! My girlfriend is lying in bed crying and shaking in pain. The pain is in her lower back on the right side where her kidney is. I need to know if I should alert her mother to go to the hospital or just help her through the night. Can someone help me?
|