Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Burning Like Pain In the Fingertips

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I was diagnosed with lupus in Jan 2004 and for the past 2 weeks I have been experiencing a burning like pain in the fingertips of my left hand. This past weekend it mostly stayed in the thumb. The area where tha pain is is very warm to the touch. This morning about 5:30a the pain got so bad I woke up crying. This has happened before but I don't remember it being this bad. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 6th, 2007
Hey
I experience this in one of my fingers, I dont know of any treatment but I want you to know that you are not alone, if it is a little cold in a room or outside, my fingers and toes are blue and my index finger on my right hand HURTS! but once i warm it up it goes away for the most part. My doctor says that your fingers turning blue is apart of haveing Lupus.
|

replied June 6th, 2007
I Hope This Helps You!
Arthritis is very common in people with lupus. There may be pain, with or without swelling. Stiffness and pain may be particularly evident in the morning. Arthritis may be a problem for only a few days or weeks. Because lupus is a condition that can change over time and is not always predictable, it is a good idea to keep a record of your symptoms, which parts of your body are affected and any situations or activities that seem to trigger your symptoms. Remember to include any diet changes, activities and stress changes this will help predict the things that cause flare ups and provide valuable information for your doctor's treatment.
You may want to try a cool (not cold) compress to ease the pain and stretching and exercise your hands and fingers to increase the blood flow to your finger tips.
|

replied February 20th, 2010
Could be secondary Raynaud's...very painful, fingers turn blue to purple to almost black. Exacerbated by cold in some cases. After several painful episodes that lasted almost a day at a time, I was put on Procardia (dilates vessels). Only rarely does it occur now, and never to the levels pre-medication. Check with your lupus doctor.
|

replied March 9th, 2010
lupus forum
hey i also was suffer for about 5 to 6 month. i seek help from my doctor he prescribe me anti inflamatory drugs, it was a bit relief for some time but the pain shifted on my thumb finger sevre pain and burning and itching.then i apply pain relief ointment i used to massage well, then the pain relief. dear friend if you know how to get rid of this please mention in your quick reply.
|

replied August 23rd, 2011
Hello all:

I know this reply is really late but I just came across this post. I have had lupus for over 11 yrs now and experience burning sensations in my fingers (mostly thumbs & index fingers) as one of the symptoms. My dr advised that when I feel the burn I should dip the area burning in warm water (I was doing cold compresses) and prescribed me norvasc. The medication has really helped me and i'ce been taking it for 10 yrs now. The very sporadic burning feeling is greatly soothed with warm compresses. I hope this helps.
|
Quick Reply