Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Paranoid of death, Hypochondria, and fear of HIV

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
I have always been a little bit paranoid of death, since i was about 5 years old i would imagine the people i love/care about dying and i would convince myself that it would actually happen. I also suffer from anxiety, I am a naturally very nervous person and whenever i am around someone i may care about romantically i feel like i may throw up, sometimes i even do. The latest problem however is my fear that i have HIV. (even though i am at a very low risk) I have felt like this for 5 month so finally about two weeks ago i got tested, it was negative. When i found out it was negative i didnt allow myself to be happy instead i read up on the procedure & convinced myself that the test was done wrong, Yesterday i went back to get tested, negative again, but now i cant shake the feeling that when i was at the docs office the instument i used was infected with HIV, and that i now have it from the docs visit. Deep down, i know its very paranoid but i cant seem to help it. Please help.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2007
Anxiety & Stress Answer A2799
Fear of having a serious disease based on misinterpretation of physical symptoms or normal body functions is called "hypochondriasis". Hypochondria is nonvolitional, meaning that the exact cause of the condition is unknown. A hypochondriac confirms diagnosis when fear and accompanying symptoms persist for more than six months despite reassurance after thorough medical evaluation. Treatment for hypochondria includes establishing a consistent, supportive physician-patient relationship. You can begin this by first consulting a psychiatrist.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.