Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Can't Get Pregnant- Is it Methadone?

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
I've been on methadone for almost 2 years. I've been trying to get pregnant for 2.5 years. I've read on other forums that methadone can make u more fertile. I really don't think that's true-maybe for some but apparently not me. I was wondering, could it be the methadone? (I've been on it for sever lower back pain.) I have a 6year old son, so I know I can get pregnant. I haven't been on B. C. for a long time now. Please, if anyone has some info on this let me know.
thanks Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper babydollmethadoner
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I think you need to discuss with your doctor about becoming pregnant. I am fairly certian that you will not be able to continue the methadone once you become pregnant. You will need to discuss going off of the medication before you become pregnant.

Good luck!
|

replied May 14th, 2012
Thats absolutly wrong hun I am now 10 weeks preg and know if Im even a lil late taking my methadone I start having cramping that feels like contractions! Its def not safe to discontinue methadone while pregnant it can and most likely will cause a miscarrige! I have been on methadone for 6years and I have been preg 3 times however 2 of them ending in miscarrige not due to methadone just to clear that up its due to hormones imbalance , So i am pretty sure it doesnt make you infertile I was told 12years ago id never have a baby how ever I know have an 11yr old and now preg again and 10 weeks and counting! Yes I am very worried about my child detoxing and withdrawling when I have it however I really dont have many options!!!!! ANyways Id say you should discuss getting preg on methadone or fertility issues and please dont stop taking any medications suddenly without checking with your dr. you are obviosly on it for a good reason!Good luck to you all!!!
|

replied October 17th, 2012
they will not detox a pregnant women off of methadone. infact pregnant women trying to get on methadone have priority (at least if its because of a drug addiction).
|

replied August 2nd, 2008
pregnancy and methadone
listen, i have a beautiful 10 year old daughter who was not conceived while on methadone, but i had to go on it when i was 3 months pregnant. Dont listen to people replying to your question who know nothing about the subject. Methadone is one of the safest prescription drugs to be on during pregnancy(of course no meds. is safest, but if need be its safe) My daughter was born 8lbs on her due date, she was even talking by 11 months old. and she still after 10 years has no learning disabilities, no deformaties, and is actually in advanced classes for her age. I am also trying to have another child, its not easy, but if you just follow your monthly cycles, calculate your most fertile days, and when u ovulate, and you will get pregnant. Just give it a little more time than a woman not on methadone. Im using a website now to help me track my cycle, you should try it. mymonthlycycles.com. And good luck, I will put you in my prayers..
|

replied July 18th, 2009
Methadone and pregnancy
Methadone, while not as safe as no drugs, is one of the safest to be on as above post said. If anyone is addicted to vicodan, oxycontin, mscontin, heroin, and any other opiate where they are experiencing withdrawal symptoms if dose is stopped/decreased and gets pregnant they need to go on methadone if they wish ti keep, and have, a healhy baby. The withdrawals symptoms can xause miscarriage and make you lose the pregnancy. Also methadone does NOT contain acetominaphin (tylenol) like almost all the other opiates. Tylenol can be a very harful drug on the liver,kidneys, heart and other organs. Definately not safe for pregnancy. So please get yourself on methadone- Do NOT beat yourself over the fact- Pride yourself in making a very smart decision for the welfare of your child.Oh and CONGRATS!!!
|

replied September 6th, 2009
The first post is 100% incorrect. As a matter of fact once you become pregnant you CANNOT stop taking methadone. I missed 1 dose of my methadone in my first trimester and I miscarried five days after. I really hope that no one reads that and takes it seriously. An opiate dependant pregnant woman = an opiate dependant fetus. Fetus cannot handle the detox, the effect of the drug, however, has no after effects when monitered by a physician.
|

replied June 18th, 2010
Methadone and babies
Thats right, first post is WRONG WRONG WRONG. NEVER go off Methadone while pregnant. It is safer than most precriptions you could be on while pregnant BUT there is one thing that would make it bad while pregnant....going off it. If your body is sick and going threw withdrawl so is the fetus, causing a most propible miscarrage. Now it may sound bad.....methadone and pregnancy...... in acuality its not. Mostly its just uneducated people putting misconseptions steriotypes out there and judgments upon these pregnant women. Also not that one is worse than the other (heroin or prescription addicts)but alot of the time methadone is treating doctor brought on addictions. Methadone was given after a doctor pushed oxy's or other pain meds for pain before knowing what the real effect could be to the body.....physical addiction and no way out. Please if you are on methadone maintain your dose and/or speak with a educated methadone treatment facility in option regarding dosing while pregnacy.
|
Users who thank ten77 for this post: toocuteforyou 

replied June 18th, 2010
Methadone and babies
Thats right, first post is WRONG WRONG WRONG. NEVER go off methadone while pregnant. It is safer than most precriptions you could be on while pregnant BUT there is one thing that would make it bad while pregnant....going off it. If your body is sick and going threw withdrawl so is the fetus, causing a most propible miscarrage. Now it may sound bad.....methadone and pregnancy...... in acuality its not. Mostly its just uneducated people putting misconseptions steriotypes out there and judgments upon these pregnant women. Also not that one is worse than the other (heroin or prescription addicts)but alot of the time methadone is treating doctor brought on addictions. Methadone was given after a doctor pushed oxy's or other pain meds for pain before knowing what the real effect could be to the body.....physical addiction and no way out. Please if you are on methadone maintain your dose and/or speak with a educated methadone treatment facility in option regarding dosing while pregnacy.
|

replied September 26th, 2010
I dont know if trying to get pregnant while taking methadone is the best idea. I do know that it likely will not harm your baby, but once the child is born, it will go through terrible withdrawals, and wont be able to come home for a few weeks as a result. Also, I think, you wont be able to adjust your dose up or down while pregnant, for the babies sake. This means that even if it stops working the way it should, you will just have to grin and bare it...The best thing for you to do, would be to write down ALL your qyestions, no matter how small...and discuss them with a doctor who is licensed and trained to prescribe methadone. That way, they can give you 100% correct info, and they will be less likely to be biased or look down on you. As many professionals in the medical field are misinformed and needlessly judgemental of methadone patients, regardless of the reason for prescribing it. Best wishes, I hope you get your little miracle soon!
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
grin and bare???
you should really not comment on things you have no idea about. I know that the child does not go through withdrawal and I also know you have to adjust your dose by increasing if you start to feel sick because withdrawing can cause you to miscarry. so grin and bare is the dumbest thing you could say.
|

grin and bare???
you should really not comment on things you have no idea about. I know that the child does not go through withdrawal and I also know you have to adjust your dose by increasing if you start to feel sick because withdrawing can cause you to miscarry. so grin and bare is the dumbest thing you could say.
|

grin and bare???
|

replied October 20th, 2010
Methadone can cause infertility. It stopped my periods for 7 years until I stopped taking it. No one warned me about this either.
|

replied November 1st, 2010
mine is a similar problem but it is my fiancee on methadone we have been trying for a year with no baby any helpful suggestions
|

replied November 16th, 2010
pregnant whilst using methadone
i have just found out that i am pregnant....i am freaking out as i am methadone dependant.....i have my mother in one ear telling me i need to be off the meth before the baby is born and then others telling me i can't come off it as it will cause a miscarriage....please someone give me some solid info that is going to help me...
|

replied November 23rd, 2010
methadone and pregnancy
I have seen many people in line at the clinic who are pregnant.. there are even special clinics just for pregnant women! I read that in the third trimester they might up your dose because u h ave almost twice as much blood-- they detox the baby after birth- not as bad as u think or as it sounds- otherwise clinics wouldnt let u do it. I want to get pregnant really bad.. my periods have been a little irregular since I started methadone- and they were like clockwork before... I am getting ovulation strips and having my husbands sperm count tested...
|

replied December 29th, 2011
HUSBAND ON METHADONE CAN WE STILL HAVE A BABY???????????????????
PLEASE ANYONE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! my husband is a recovering addict from herion and has been clean 3 yrs in jan. he is on methadone and has NO sexual need what so ever and we want a baby. 1st question.....does it cause infertility in men? 2nd question.....how can we get his sexual need back? 3rd question.....will it take long? please answer if u have anything.
|

replied December 29th, 2011
HUSBAND ON METHADONE CAN WE STILL HAVE A BABY???????????????????
PLEASE ANYONE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! my husband is a recovering addict from herion and has been clean 3 yrs in jan. he is on methadone and has NO sexual drive what so ever and we want a baby. 1st question.....does it cause infertility in men? 2nd question.....how can we get his sexual drive back? 3rd question.....will it take long? please answer if u have anything. getting off methadone is not an option for him.
|

replied January 25th, 2012
can u have probs getting pregnant on methadone
Have sex with him at night when the methadone is wore off a little...i have the same question can u get pregnant on methadone?,? No one is answering the question she asked there just saying to not detox while on it
|

replied March 1st, 2012
I also have the same question.. My fiance has been on for a year and has dropped his dose from 95mg to 35mg.. I already have 2 kids and i desperately want to have one with him. We have come a long way in our relationship from dealing with his addiction to oxy's after he fractured 2 vertabrae falling off the roof, to the withdrawls, to bringing our business in a very great place and buying a house.. But no one has actually said "Yes, i got pregnant on methadone.." or "Yes my bf/fiance/husband got me pregnant while he was on methadone.." can't anybody just give a straight answer.

Congradulations on your little bundle of joy by the way..
|

replied October 17th, 2012
YES people get pregnant on methadone all the time. I have a friend that has been trying to get off of methadone but she can't because she keeps getting pregnant and they will not detox a pregnant women. Unfortunetly though, for most people, methadone kills any sex drive. For some men, if they do manage to get it going, it can be difficult to finish, if you know what I mean. But if they can, there is no reason why you wouldn't get pregnant.
|

replied March 17th, 2013
hi lil_sweettie88 yes you can get pregnant while you are on methadone i have been on methadone for the past 14 years as i had a drug addiction im am 5years clean from drugs now but still on my methadone script for now and i have got 2 healty girls they are nearly 10 and 11 and they have no problems what so ever they were both born over 8 pound and even now they are doing great at school hope this has helped you with your question good luck :}
|

replied April 5th, 2013
At 31 weeks, after a very emotional tour of the NICU, I made the decision to wean off of methadone. I talked to my high risk OBGYN and we coordinated with the clinic I was at and we came up with a plan. I went down 5mg a week, I was at 45mg, and was to be seen at my OB's office twice a week. I had an ultrasound, non-stress test, and doctors visit on day one of the week and a non-stress test on day two. We managed to get me down to 15mg by the time I was induced. My now 10 month old son was able to come home with me 3 days later, he showed no signs of withdrawal. He was 8lbs at birth, as healthy as a baby can be. He has been developmentally advanced and still is. My point is this, doctor's will tell you that you cannot be weaned off methadone while pregnant, I am proof that it can be done with the proper monitoring. I know that is way off subject of the original forum question, I thought that I should give a different perspective.
|