Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Q and A Forum

Does baby develop sleeping patterns in the womb ?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
that the baby developes it's sleeping pattern while still in the womb. Brianna is up and active everynight at 11 on clockwork and at 4 am.. i know they say that because your not standing anymore the baby is more active without that swaying motion but is this how shes going to be when she comes out? Id actually be thrilled if she was so im crossing my fingers..
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 18th, 2007
Supporter
I've been told by my midwife that it's true, from about week 32 i think it is, you can feel their sleeping pattern and they tend to stcik to it. Obviously it can change once they're born but apparently a majority keep the sleeping pattern they had in the womb
|

replied May 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i've never heard that... but newborns don't really have a sleeping pattern, they sleep constantly (like 21-23 hours a day in the very beginning).
|

replied May 18th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
I'd be so lucky if they kept their sleeping pattern after they're born, but somehow I doubt that'll happen. My baby stops moving around 11 at night and doesn't really wake up until about 5:30 am when the alarm clock goes. Sometimes I don't feel any movement until my fiancee and I start talking in the morning, like on weekends. Usually though, I get movements around 5:30 ish and throughout the day, but I usually don't feel anything at night. I'm sure things will be totally different when the baby comes out and needs to be fed and changed and everything else, but I can always fantasize about a baby with the exact same sleep patterns as me. Razz
|

replied May 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I don't think it's true either. I almost never felt .Jaylon during the night and he has nights that he's up more than during the day. It would be great though
|

User Profile
replied May 18th, 2007
Supporter
I don't think it's true ... but ya never know
Also even though we don't always feel the baby , that doesn't mean she isn't moving ... I've had a few stress tests and so on done at the maternity ward and there is this test they do that measure's fetal movement's I was shocked at how often she was moving and I didn't even feel it!
but if it IS true ... I'm done for she wakes me up out of a dead sleep almost everynight busting around in there! Laughing
|

replied May 22nd, 2007
I'm a human development major currently. It's totally true. However, it probably isn't as regular as most parents would like, nor will it probably continue as they try to adjust to their "real world" lifestyle.
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2007
They sleep more during the day since they are being rocked by you walking, etc. When you lay down, the uterus stretches enough for the baby to stretch out too and wake up. They do have a pattern in the womb, if you record the kicks you will see they are at the same each day. Also, they have a feeding schedule already when born - and like clockwork you will see them wake up hungry every 2 or every 3 hours.
|

User Profile
replied September 14th, 2009
I am not sure if this is true or not but i was told that your baby keeps somewhat the same pattern and schedule as in the womb, that would be nice i feel him all day off and on and then at night it seems to depend on when i lay down he wiggles around for about ten mins and then i don't feel him again until sometimes 5:30 or even closer to 7am.
|