Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Lump In My Throat

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I've had a sensation of a lump in my throat for some time (about more than 3 weeks) that continually bothered me, and I initially thought it'd go away. It didn't and I tried checking later on by putting my finger down my throat to check, and didn't find anything. Well it's still bothering me and today I put my finger down my throat as far as possible, and I felt something like two small bumps just beside each other (like a "UU", which the shape how it feels like as I typed.)

Now I haven't had difficulty swallowing (I even tested this by swallowing pieces of bread) but I dunno what to think.

I'm 24 years old and sometimes my parents have called me a hypochondriac since long ago, so I don't want to rush to judgement. Also, I have had problems with acid reflux for years (in waves, usually before I go and finally take prilosec) I haven't yet talked to the doctor, since I've lapsed in payments to my individual insurance carrier (had to be now Rolling Eyes )

Last edited by DaveofCali on May 18th, 2007 12:07 AM; edited 1 time in total
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I think those are supposed to be there, and you're simply "aware" of them at the moment. You could always have a doc look down your throat and say "yep, those are tonsils and secondry glands".
|

replied May 18th, 2007
Eiri wrote:
I think those are supposed to be there, and you're simply "aware" of them at the moment. You could always have a doc look down your throat and say "yep, those are tonsils and secondry glands".

Well they seem to stick out from the upper esophagus pipe.
|

replied May 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
DaveofCali wrote:
Eiri wrote:

Well they seem to stick out from the upper esophagus pipe.

it is nearly impossible to accuratly describe something over the net. I can say all day long "yes I have those too" but only a doctor can diagnose you or say "those are just cartilage!"
|

replied May 18th, 2007
I'm sorry. I hope your right.
|

replied September 14th, 2011
lump in the throat sensation
I ave had the sensation of a lump in my throat for over a year... I began to get worried as I'm a part time singer, that it was vocal chord nodes, or worse throat cancer... both of these were ruled out once I did plenty of research. Then a couple ppl told me it could be a swollen thryroid gland.. and reaching my late 40's being a female, that was a high likelihood ( and a frequent diagnosis for many women)
However I just felt that was not the cause and started asking friends if they EVER experienced the same sensation of something stuck in thier throat, that was bad one day or week and then seemed to improve...
and this is what I learned.. r u ready ?
Psychological problems, esp long term stress and unresolved anger can cause this sensation !!!!!! When these 2 close friends were told the same thing after being scoped and tested by 3 physicians.. I KNEW that was my problem too.. ONE girl also a singer told me her MD told her there is a muscle near the LARNX ( Adams Apple ) that can tighten over time.. and make it feel this way ... hope that helps someone !!!! WHAT A RELIEF FOR ME~~h
|