Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Nuvaring Left Out- Can I Ovulate?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hello everyone,
I am on the NuvaRing, and I accidentally messed it up. I took it out before my fiance and I had sex, and I went to sleep without realizing I hadn't put it back in. I put it in around 24 hours later. We had sex the next night. Could I have ovulated?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Nuvaring Left Out- Can I Ovulate?
mitbee wrote:
Hello everyone,
I am on the NuvaRing, and I accidentally messed it up. I took it out before my fiance and I had sex, and I went to sleep without realizing I hadn't put it back in. I put it in around 24 hours later. We had sex the next night. Could I have ovulated?

I don't know how possible it is.
|

replied July 22nd, 2007
Nuva Ring
hi, you can take the nuva ring out for up to three hours and be ok. my doctor told me the only time you can ovulate is what would be the fourteenth day of your period, thank god it doesnt last that long hehe, anyways, also you should use protection like a condom for a week and then you will be fine. i have never had a problem with my nuva ring and i have accidentally kept it out for a few days
|

replied July 22nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
The fact that you ovulate fourteen days BEFORE your next period (not fourteen days after the last one) does not apply if you are on birth control. Birth control completely changes how your body works.

Say for example that you had done this oppsie with the ring on day 14 before your next period. You are no more likely to ovulate on that day than you would have been if you'd done the oopsie a week before. Get it? You do not ovulate on the ring, so the 14 day rule doesn't count.
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
If you leave the ring out for more than three hours and have unprotected sex within the week (yes a whole week) then you can get pregnant. It is the same thing as missing birth control pills.

I realize this is an old post so it doesn't really matter anymore, but if this happens you should take the morning after pill.
|

replied September 2nd, 2011
I have enough trouble keeping the ring in! Last week while at work it dropped out into my pantyhose! Anyone have this problem?
|

replied September 2nd, 2011
Community Volunteer
This does happen to some women. If you are sure you placed it correctly, then you should consider using something else. As long as you put it back within 3 hours, it will be fine. If you cannot keep it in, it can be embarrassing if it falls out at the wrong time or in a public place.

It is likely a sign of a weakened pelvic floor muscle. If you are not doing kegel exercises, consider doing it.

Best of luck!
|