Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Fibroid tumors , pelvic fluid , and laparascopy

Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
User Profile
I have fluid in my pelvis area, I've been told that to discover exactly where the fluid is coming from that I would have to have surgery first. Is there any other way to determine where the fluid is coming from? I know I have very large fibroid tumors and several of them. What specialist can I see regarding the fluid in my pelvis areas in the PPO BlueCross BlueShield plan in Atlanta, Georgia?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2007
General Q&A Answer A2752
Fibroid tumors are often found in women in their 30's and 40's; they're usually benign (non-cancerous). Fibroids are solid tumors,i.e they occur as solitary or multiple solid masses that cause no symptoms. Although most of these tumors do not cause symptoms,some women may experience abnormal bleeding, pain during menstruation, and a swollen abdomen. As fibroid tumors grow they may also cause inability to control the bladder, or even constipation. Investigating pelvic fluid depends on the amount of fluid and the local area that is affected. You might request several diagnostic procedures to identify the reason for the fluid collection in the pelvis. For example, you can request a transvaginal ultrasound and CT scan of the pelvis, which are non-invasive procedures. A laparoscopy can also be performed. You can consult a gynecologist for an exact diagnosis and more details. Additionally, you'll have to contact BCBS in order to find a specialist who is in your network.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.