Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Stuffy Nose Only When Sitting?

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
I've had a history of allergies, ranging anywhere from hives to runny nose and itchy eyes.

I usually take Allegra-D (I think it was 90mg twice a day). That ALWAYS helps my hives, but rarely does anything for my nose.

Lately my nose has been stuffy whenever I'm sitting or laying. Its almost fine while standing (maybe a little runny, but atleast I can breathe). Minutes after I sit down, my nose starts to get stuffy. If I stand up, it will clear up after a few minutes.

I bought some NasalCrom Allergy Relief nasal spray and it didn't seem to do much, then I later read online that it usually only helps runny nose.

I've been looking around online and I decided to try a saline nasal wash. That will help for a while and it really makes my nose clear while I'm standing. I just started it last night and I did it again today. I will keep doing it once or twice a day to see if it just needs some time to work effectively.

Has anyone else experienced this before...the stuffy nose only while sitting or laying? Its really annoying and can make it hard to sleep.

Any other suggestions on things to try?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper EricaS1992
|

replied January 21st, 2010
my nose is only stuffy when i sit or lay down
yes i know exactly what your going through this is happening to me now and i cant take it any more i cant sit or lay down with out being so stuffy even my ears are bugging me from this i have not found any thing that helps i take allergy pills but that dont help much please if any one knows why this happens let me know thank you
|

replied February 7th, 2010
This happens to me! When I'm standing up and moving around, my nose and sinuses are fine, but when I'm sitting down -- at the computer, reading, watching TV, eating a meal -- it all solidifies in there and I can't breathe. It's a real problem, as I'm a writer and graphic designer and spend a lot of time at the computer. Sometimes it's so bad I actually gag!
|

replied April 16th, 2011
Nose Chocked with Fluid Whenever I Sits or Sleep
Hi Binnebrook, that is exactly what I have been experiencing of late. It was not so for a period of time after my polyps surgery but now its seems like the blocked started all over again.

I have been delaying the nasal polyp surgery for some time now. Sigh!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Most likely it simply has to do with physiology. When you're seated your nasal pasages contract, you breathe more shallowly so it's easier for blockage to form. It's also possible that your sinuses are more responsive to drops in blood pressure as that's another thing that tends to drop when you sit or lie. I'd bring it up to your doctor next time you're in. It may affect treatment decisions.
|

Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking of a visit to chiropractor, something I've avoided for the past 25 years. Pressure on some nerve in my spine causing the nasal mucosa to back up? If I lie on my side, the uppermost nostril clears out pretty handily, I have to say, though. And I have low-normal blood pressure, something I've always felt was a good thing. Anyway, I'm seeing my doctor in March, and will bring it up with him. Thanks again.
|

replied April 26th, 2010
stuffy nose only while sitting
It has to do with temporary blood redistribution to your legs when you stand up. Sinus pressure and nasal blockage comes from swollen tissue due to viral or allergic inflammation. Swelling is caused by increased blood flow to a local area (your nose). When you stand up your blood temporarily pools in your legs and drains a little bit from your upper body (this is why you sometimes get light headed upon standing up quickly). So when you stand up, the tissue in your nasal cavity drains just enough to get some air through.
|

replied February 8th, 2011
stuffy sinus while sitting
So. What can you "Naturally
do about stuffy sinus. Used Prednisone for 2 weeks a month ago and stuffed up again. Very Frustrating
|

replied November 26th, 2011
Yes, recently I have been experiencing the same problem, it is very annoying and uncomfortable. I have found that Afrin and Sinex are helpful, but only for a few hours and sometimes not at all. If you do use this it will usually wear off during sleep and you will wake up with an extremely stuffy nose.
|

replied February 2nd, 2013
Clogged nose
I have the answer!! It sounds stupid but I saw it on another site looking to cure this same problem. You simply breath in (as much as possible) then exhale like usual. Next you hold your nose so you can't breath and nod your head up and down until you can't hold your breath any longer. Only problem is, is that it doesn't cure the issue permanently. My nose stayed unblocked for about 10 minutes. Hope this helps
|

replied July 4th, 2013
same problem but no solution
I'm having the same problem...as soon as I sit down I'm barely able to breath....but if I stand up it immediately clears. I've been taking antihistamines for few days as we moved houses and it started hay fever
|

replied February 20th, 2014
@Erica1992 - I tried it and it seemed to work! Although I don't think I can handle doing throughout the day. Sad
|