Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

Itchy pimple bumps above pubic area : Herpes ?

Must Read
Learn the basics about sexual health issues, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a sexual health disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for sexual health disorders....
User Profile
About 4 wks ago, i noticed a pimple on the upper part of my pubic area. My first thought was herpes. I expected it to pop and leave a lession. It didn't pop. a few tiny pimples appeared. I'd been breaking out on my face too since i was stressed. i had unprotected sex 9 mths ago. It's been 4 wks of me thinking i have herpes, but only 1 pimple like bump is big enough to really see. The rest are very tiny, and harder to see. A few were around my butt. What make me think its herpes is that it started itching about a week ago. Not unbearable itching. what makes me think it might not be herpes is the fact that it has lasted so long without popping. And I did some reaserch and the pimple i have is raised and looks more like something called Molluscum contagiosum. some sites say M.C. isn't itchy, and some sites says it can be. i have no other symptoms except the itch and bumps, no reddness or pain. can this be herpes? can bumps be very raised and last 4 weeks without changing?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2007
Herpes Answer A2806
A herpes lesion is caused by the Herpes simplex virus (HSV). Typically, herpes-lesion go through an appearance change over time. To be specific, HSV has 4 stages: During the first stage, a red spot appears called an "erythema" that is painful and itches; then a pimple filed with serous liquid appears in the vesicular stage; the pimple occurs in the middle of the erythema; after few days, the pimple pops and an ulceration stays, and finally the ulceration turns into a crust and heals with no scar. The whole evolution of the herpes-lesion lasts about 14 days. Itching and redness is present all the time.
In your case, you state that there is a “pimple” but you are not sure if it is filled with something or not. If it is filled with pus, the skin condition is called a superficial folliculitis. Superficial folliculitis is a bacterial infection. If there is nothing inside the bump, the condition is called papula and could beinfected with the Human papiloma virus (HPV)-wart. Those small bumps you notice could originate from the big one which is typical for warts (auto-spreading). Warts usually do not itch.
Further, Molluscum contaginosum is a skin viral infection caused by the virus Monitor hominis. Here the warts have a hole in the middle. When pressed from the sides, these warts expel some yellowish mass. Molluscum contaginosum can itch if it is secondarily infected with bacterium.
You can visit your primary health provider or a dermatologist for proper diagnosis and treatment.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.