Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Birth Control And Antibiotics, How Long After I Take Them? (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
i'm on Yasmine, I have heard that antibiotics can effect Birth control.

I took a large does of antibiotics to have a dental proceedure, it was a one time dose.

If indeed I need to be concerned about the increased chance of getting pregnant on BC taking antibiotics, how long will these effects last? meaning how soon can I have worry-free sex again!?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cjnizam
|

replied May 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
You need to use BC for 7 full days to regain protection =)
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2007
Experienced User
i actually asked my pharmacist that and he told me that although there are many rumors about birth control being less effective when taken with antibiotics, it is not true. there are very few antibiotics out there that cause birth control to be less effective. make sure you ask your drugist if it interfers with your birth control Smile
|

replied June 16th, 2011
You need a second opinion
I know of at least 3 people who got pregnant due to birth control failure due to antibiotics. Might want to get a second opinion.
|

replied December 26th, 2011
Incorrect Info
There is a warning printed on my bottle of amoxicillin, which is a pretty common antibiotic. You might want to check your source for that info.
|

replied March 10th, 2012
It really depends on what kinda of antibiotic you take. Anything related to amoxicillin or penicillin is likely to effect your birth control, however, an antibiotic such as azithromycin won't affect your birth control.
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2007
Advanced Support Team
There is nothing like being safe...id wait 7 days regardless.
|

replied May 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
.antibiotics can and do mess with the effectiveness of bc. After your dose of antibiotics .i would make sure to use back-up for at least 7 days to ensure protection.
|

replied December 11th, 2009
I had a friend of mine who actually got pregnant due to this exact reason ---> i.e. was on antibiotics and didn't use another form of contraception besides the pill. So from experience... use another form of contraception until 7 days after.
|

replied September 29th, 2010
antibiotics and birth control
But how long does his sperm live in me? We had sex this morning but I learned this afternoon that I have to start antibiotics. Do I need to worry?
|

replied September 30th, 2010
Spermie dudes can hang around for a while--I think up to five days. You should be fine, though. As stated earlier, antibiotics don't USUALLY (I'm not a doctor) interfere with birth control, so I wouldn't think they would invalidate your BC immediately (if at all). It is always a risk, though. If you're worried, you still have time to take Plan B. You have three days after sex to take it. If you're still worried, use condoms. There's some fun ones
|

replied October 3rd, 2010
Please dont believe you are safe after 7 days, I have a daughter who was a 7 day after taking antibotics, I spoke with my family doctor about the time you should wait and she and the other doctor told me at least a month. You body doesn't get rid of the antibotic for at least that she said. Your body needs a month on active birth control pills. BELIEVE ME i have a 3 year old because we only waited 7 DAYS!~
|

replied November 5th, 2010
sperm
sperm does not last 5 days more like 24-48hours I would not worry about it just use another from of protection after starting it.
|

replied December 14th, 2010
I have been in the Medical field for a long time… research shows that antibiotics lessen the strength of BC…research shows it. Another form of contraceptive should be used. At least 7 days depending on the strength of the antibiotic. If the patient is on a heavy heavy dose of antibiotics then it will be longer. It just depends. With that being said under ideal conditions, sperm can reach the ovum in 15-30 minutes. Many people believe that the time interval is much longer and that they can wait to take steps to prevent conception until after intercourse. Sperm from a healthy male can remain viable for 24-72 hours in the female reproductive tract. If the female ovulates after coitus, there is a possibility that fertilization can occur.
|

replied January 30th, 2011
antibiotics/ birth control
I was put on antibiotics the day after we had intercourse. Could the antibiotics cancel the bc out? Just wondering have been on bc for years.
|

replied September 30th, 2011
I really need to figure this out..I had intercourse the day I started taking antibiotics that do affect my bc..I forgot about it is it possible
|

replied April 11th, 2011
unprotected sex during your period after being on antibiotics
I was on antibiotics and i had unprotected sex 2 days after stoping them but it was during the time of my birth control cycle that i was supposed to have my period, should I be worried?
|

replied June 25th, 2011
read the pharmacy information!
Right in the warnings on the birth control it states that certain antibiotics render the BC ineffective. I know Bactrim DS does for sure. use backup for 7 days after completing the antibiotics. also, the information given to you with prescription antibiotic courses will tell you if it renders the BC ineffective.
|

replied September 30th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Antibiotics used for treating TB also make the pill completely ineffective for the whole time you are on them plus a month after you stop taking them.
|

replied December 1st, 2011
Birth Control and Antibiotics
I kind of have a quick question about this too. The thing below is my pill schedule:

T what S S M
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 week 1
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 week 2
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 week 3
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 period

So I was prescribed Bactrim DS for a UTI and I started taking them the 2nd day of week 2. I took them for 5 days (twice a week) so that means I finished them on the 6th day of week 2. I waited 7 full days and had sex with my bf on the 7th day of week 3. I usually get my period early on the 4th day of my period week and I haven't (and it is night time)... Am I over stressing or should I be worried? Sad
|

replied December 1st, 2011
I kind of have a quick question about this too.

So I was prescribed Bactrim DS for a UTI and I started taking them the 2nd day of week 2. I took them for 5 days (twice a week) so that means I finished them on the 6th day of week 2. I waited 7 full days and had sex with my bf on the 7th day of week 3. I usually get my period early on the 4th day of my period week and I haven't (and it is night time)... Am I over stressing or should I be worried? Sad
|

replied January 18th, 2012
My doctor told me in no uncertain terms that you need to wait 1 full month after taking antibiotics to be safe. If you have sex 7 days after, you are in fact most likely to have just ovulated if the antibiotics have affected your BC.
|

replied February 14th, 2012
ok people need to know how both work and both interact before posting arbitrary number of days to wait. here's the watered down basics of it.

your pill contains hormones that essentially prevent you from ovulating and also create a thinner endometrial lining ... which is why the pill is so effective when used properly. it should prevent you from even ovulating, and if it doesn't, there should be a thinner lining for a potentially fertilized ovum to attach to thus increasing the chances of an early embryo being discarded during menstruation rather than bunkering down in the uterus for the long haul.

some (not all) antibiotics interact with your pill via essentially decreasing the active amount of the pill's hormones circulating through you. this means that while the antibiotic is being taken, you're not really covered to the extent you should be via the hormones.

now MOST (not all) women who have been on the pill for years and who have taken it properly the entire time don't actually ovulate at all! which is why it may take a few months of being off the pill to start ovulating again (for those who try to get pregnant right after having been on the pill for years, many can tell you it takes months before you actually conceive). this makes the likelihood of conception smaller but still not 0, as many on this forum have found out the hard way.

when you are first prescribed them, most forms of hormonal birth control tell you to use secondary birth control for the first 3 or so months (because that is how long it MIGHT take for the woman's body to completely respond to the hormones, stop ovulating, and have a thinner lining.)

this being said, and knowing that taking antibiotics may lessen the absorption and circulation of hormones, thus making your body think you're off the pill (basically like taking your inactives the whole time), I would wait 1-3 cycles AFTER you have finished your last dose of antibiotic (most only have a half-life of 18-36 hours) before going about "worry free sex" again.

so just an example: my fiancee travels to Ghana to teach for a month and is on prophylactic anti-malarial tetracycline antibiotics that interfere with her birth control. her last day of antibiotics is in the 2nd week of one of her cycles. we're using condoms until she STARTS AND FINISHES 3 packs of pills starting to count from after she's off the antibiotics.

more than likely we'd be fine abandoning the condoms right when she starts taking the first new pack of pills post-antibiotics, but we're in no mood for a bundle of joy at this stage, so rather safe than sorry = 3 months of condoms after she's off antimalarials ... and it's been 1 already.

hope that helps illuminate the subject a bit better rather than listening to all these 3 day, 7 day, 1 month, etc... replies.
|

replied March 28th, 2012
What if you have an inplant
|
12 >>