Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Nausea Forum

Chronic Nausea (Page 1)

Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
I can only start by saying that I am desperate and life is not worth living at the moment. I have had the nausea for about a year but it is now much worse since I had my gall bladder removed. I have had endoscopies, ultra sounds, blood tests and tried many, many anti-sickness tablets - to no avail.

I wake up with it every day and it is now not leaving me at all. The doctors dont seem to be able to help me and I am absolutely petrified that I am not going to get better. It is affecting my life so badly that I no longer have any interest in anything - the nausea being all-consuming. It also means that I can no longer make plans to see people or go places. Please, please - if anybody can help me in any way I would be eternally grateful.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper aprilinnovember
|

replied February 26th, 2009
Chronic Nausea
Have you found any relief from your problem? My mother has been suffering the same symptoms for 18 months with no solution. There are many forums describing the problem, but remedies are either not found or not reported.
|

replied September 25th, 2012
MYBMOM A WELL, it's so bad she won't get dressed, go out or anything! She constatt?y criies and it depressed..e have been to numerous drs and now have. Another...brain scan next week...all other tests are negative...we too need some answers! I feel for you, my sisters and i take turns staying with her at night, because she's so lonely she says...I cry over this every day for her, i sure do hope you and everyone with this mysterious condition find an answer! God bless! Don't give up please! Find me on facebook, susan theroux souza.....hope to hear from you! Keep the faith!
|

replied September 13th, 2009
Did either of you find a solution?
Did either of you ever find a solution as I am suffering from the same thing and I am desperate to find an answer?
|

replied March 17th, 2010
I don't normally post on these forums, but if my post can help someone, it's worthwhile. I suffered from chronic nausea with no relief whatsoever for many years. I had my gallbladder removed, but still had the symptoms. After four upper endoscopies, countless CT scans, ultrasounds, Xrays, various blood tests, diet restrictions, prescription meds, and a few hospitalizations, I still suffered. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis, but Reglan aggravated my symptoms, making matters much worse. After a dopplar ultrasound of the major blood vessels of the abdomen followed by an arteriogram, it was found that I had an uncommon condition called median arcuate ligament syndrome, in which a ligament in the diaphragm was compressing the major arteries to my stomach every time I exhaled. This was slowing digestion and causing my relentless nausea and pain. The only solution was an open abdominal surgery resulting in about a 1-foot-long incision from sternum to belly button. The doctor gave me a 50/50 shot of the surgery resolving my symptoms. After the operation, he said that he was much more confident that it would be successful--I suppose he saw something in there that didn't show up on tests, or maybe the extent of the compression was more significant than first believed. Either way, two weeks post-op I am symptom-free and loving life.

If you are suffering from severe chronic nausea and tests have ruled out just about everything else, you may want to ask for a dopplar ultrasound of the major blood vessels just to see if that may be the problem. I am glad a doctor finally ordered that test, because if he hadn't I'd still be suffering.
|

replied November 20th, 2012
i have been suffering from chronic nausea for 12 years now. i am only 23 years old so i am past the point of desperation. i am definitely going to ask for the doppler test. nothing else has come back positive and i just need to know why i feel this way day-in and day-out. living life like this is just not living. i also have a fear of vomiting which makes feeling this nausea even more unbearable. thank you for the suggestion.
|

replied June 8th, 2013
Good afternoon, i have been wanting to write to you for a very long time. As I read your post ,it describes my mother and what she has been through. I am desperate at this point to get her the help she needs. Every Doctor she has seen does the same routine tests and she never gets any answers. She was also diagnosed with Gastroparesis, but it goes beyond that. She suffers from Nausea to the point were she feels she better off dead. this has been going on for years . Can you please suggest what kind of Doctor to go to in order to get this condition recognized ??? No body seems to know what it is.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
|

replied June 8th, 2013
Good afternoon, i have been wanting to write to you for a very long time. As I read your post ,it describes my mother and what she has been through. I am desperate at this point to get her the help she needs. Every Doctor she has seen does the same routine tests and she never gets any answers. She was also diagnosed with Gastroparesis, but it goes beyond that. She suffers from Nausea to the point were she feels she better off dead. this has been going on for years . Can you please suggest what kind of Doctor to go to in order to get this condition recognized ??? No body seems to know what it is.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
|

replied June 8th, 2013
|

replied June 8th, 2013
|

replied March 17th, 2010
Starmite - plesed to hear that youhave found relief and thank you for your post. I suffer from chronic nausea and I have already considered medial arcuate ligament syndrome, although I have not been tested for it, but I discounted it as I thought that the most symptom was pain especially after eating. Did you have pain or worse pain after eating?
|

replied March 17th, 2010
I am very sorry that you are experiencing this problem as well. I actually did not have any pain. The nausea got much more severe after meals, but I did not experience pain. I hope this helps!
|

replied March 17th, 2010
Starmite - ok thanks for your answer. It was just that in your original post you said you had "relentless nausea and pain".
|

replied March 17th, 2010
oh goodness, you're right, I did say that. I should not have included pain in my original post, because although I did experience pain on occasion, it was not nearly the severity or frequency with which I experienced nausea, so I really don't think of pain as a main symptom in my case. I'm sorry about that.
|

replied October 8th, 2011
Daughter with Nausea and Dehydration
My Daughter has chronic nausea for many months now. she gets dehydrated as she can not get enough fluids down to keep up with her need. She has complex medcial history and we are gettng no answers..... help.
|

replied October 8th, 2011
Daughter with Nausea and Dehydration
My Daughter has chronic nausea for many months now. She gets dehydrated and has to be hospitalized as she can not get enough fluids down to keep up with her need. She has complex medcial history and we are gettng no answers.....She can not really go anywhere and has not been able to live life for a long time now. Help.
|

replied October 9th, 2011
Jillsplace, what country do you live in and what hospitals have your daughter been treated at? Is she diabetic and has she been tested for gastroparesis and H. Pylori?
|

replied October 24th, 2011
Chronic Nausea
I too suffer from chronic nausea. It has been a nightmare I've lived with for 15 years (I'm now 31). I have undergone many tests and had my gallbladder removed but with no relief and no diagnosis. I've been on every prescription for nausea. Some work better than others, but nothing completely alleviates my symptoms. Often times I am unable to eat for days... I still haven't found out what's causing the problem, but mercifully I have found a treatment that WORKS. Marijuana. I know... It's not quite legal everywhere, the taboo of using a "street drug" etc. I share the same concerns, but when life is no longer worth living... There has to be an answer. This is mine. You dont have to smoke it; it can be vaporized or ingested. If you are suffering, you owe it to yourself to try it. It works remarkably well and quickly. You don't need much and for me, it keeps the nausea at bay for hours, allowing me to be a functional member of society again. Try it.
|

replied October 25th, 2011
Marijuana
Rivermomma - thanks for the suggestion. Can you advise how much you take and how often? Also, how do you vapourize it and what preparation do you need to do to ingest it? Have you tried the medical drugs that are derivatives of marijuana?
|

replied September 20th, 2012

Here are some examples of cannabis products that MAY be available once you've acquired a medical marijuana license. I advise against smoking weed during periods of intense nausea unless you add a lot of crushed ice to your bong water in order to cool down the smoke( works better than filling up the choke with ice cubes, but by all means do both!) My boyfriend has been suffering from cyclic vomiting for the past 2 years and cannabis has been a huge help. It may also help with sleep deprivation and I've noticed that it also enables him to better stomach his food. I wish you guys all the luck in your quest for recovery.
|

replied October 25th, 2011
Chronic Nausea
Idkwia- first it's important to know whether you live in a state where marijuana has been legalized for medical use. If you do, then you may be able to find a dispensary which sells prepared foods, candies and tinctures which contain THC, the active ingredient in marijuana. The amount of THC varies from product to product, as does the effect on each individual user. A little trial and error may be required to find what works best for you.

As for vaporizing, you can purchase a vaporizer at a "smoke shop" or on the Internet. There are several different types of vaporizers on the market, I recommend the volcano. Most expensive, but they have few problems and are a healthy option. I find the best result in alleviating my nausea through this method. I find I don't need much to relieve my sickness (I can smoke a few puffs and the relief is almost instant and lasts for a few hours; it's not enough to make me feel "high" or out of it - this is just my experience). I have a demanding job which requires a great deal of brain power and I would never do anything to compromise my career or my clients' confidence. This is a medication on which I can be totally functional. I was certainly not 100% on my game while struggling with debilitating nausea.

It must be said that, unfortunately, the federal government considers marijuana illegal. And even in states which have passed legislation, it's still no guarantee that you won't lose your job if you test positive. I guess what I'm saying is: everyone needs to weigh the risks and benefits for himself. There are wonderful positives, but for some people, a few drawbacks as well. I hope this is helpful. I am a health conscious person and have done a ton of research on this; if I can answer any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
|

replied December 23rd, 2011
Finding a post like this is nice- Definitely not nice that people are suffering from this condition, but nice to know I'm not alone. I was worried I was just weak for letting this condition make me feel like that- Life just doesn't feel worth living at all sometimes, because I can't stop being nauseous, and am usually unable to eat altogether. Like, maybe I'm just making too big of a deal out of something that should just be considered a mild annoyance? It really does have a huge effect on your ability to live life in any sort of productive, happy way though. I hope you're all able to find relief (always best in the form of a cure).
RiverMomma, I was also glad to see your post. Marijuana is the one thing that's actually helped the problem significantly. I've been on several different pharmaceuticals throughout the years (I started having this issue at age 14. 19 now), that have done practically nothing to help. Unfortunately, the state I'm living in has a pretty expensive MMP, and thanks to this condition, keeping a job has been close to impossible. All of my employers love me and the work I do, but my attendance always gets so bad that they have no choice but to fire me. (I do have the legal registration currently, but it's set up to expire after New Years.)
I'm thankful to all of you for sharing this info. Still trying to find a diagnosis, even after a couple years worth of tests. After they all come back with perfectly normal results, it gets a little depressing. Finding new possibilities is helpful though. Smile
|

replied January 23rd, 2012
Chronic Nausea
For those of you looking for relief and all your tests have come back negative then I would strongly suggest that you get a doctor agree to give you anti-depressants. This has nothing to do with being depressed or it all being in your head it is solely to do with how the brain and the gut interact with each other and how the messaging can become compromised. It is better to start on a low dose but move up through the doses until you respond. I was given Duloxetine by a Professor of Psychiatry who now works solely with people who have functional gut disorders which what chronic idiopathic nausea is.
|

replied February 25th, 2012
Hi idkwia! My daughter has suffered for years with chronic intermittent nausea which is debilitating. After SO many doctors we have decided to go the way of the psychiatrist and have found a doctor at NYU (since we live fairly close to New York City) who deals with this. They call it chronic idiopathic nausea (as you said) and I do believe it is a problem with the way the brain / gut interact. She has had a history of seasonal affective disorder and anxiety in the past, so I am leaning toward the brain / gut connection now. She is a happy, well-adjusted young woman but living on zofran is tough since it makes you constipated (which she is all the time anyway, so it just makes it worse).

How did the duloxetine help you, and I would love to know the psychiatrist who has the expertise in this area. Please help! We just lost our son to brain cancer a year and a half ago, and I hate to see my daughter suffering in her own way for so long!
|

I am in the UK. The Duloxetine has relieved my nausea completely. It is important not to only take low dose; you need to start on low dose and increse until you get the desired result. The full effect takes time and improves as the weeks go by. If one anti-depressant does not work then try another.
I am in the UK.
Good luck to you and your daughter.

PS Zofran had no effect on my nausea.
|

Also, I would like to tell everyone about Zofran if you don't already know about it. It is the only thing that helps my daughter with the nausea. As I said above we are thinking about switching to another anti-depressant but at this point, zofran is a miracle for her.
|

replied March 19th, 2012
Chronic Nausea
I too suffer from chronic nausea. I have Crohn's Disease, but this isn't a typical sympton of Crohn's. I do have GERD and hypermotility of the stomach, which means that my stomach empties very rapidly.
|

replied April 9th, 2012
has anyone tried Axert, a migraine medication for chronic nausea? I have had chronic nausea for about 2 years, it comes in bouts that can last up to 3 months without relenting. every now and then i get a day or so off completly. Ondanzatron for chemotherapy patients helps some, but not completly. it is very expensive. any other ideas?
|

replied April 15th, 2012
nausea weak
I have had nausea nearly my entire life am now 54 yrs and it still comes and go and have had every test blood test every instrument inside outside of me done on me, had my gall bladder out 5 yrs ago seemed to help for about 3 yrs now back with a vengeance; recently diagnosed with mild beginning diabetes and i have no fat on my body am small framed and weigh 123 lbs- just do not know what to do! went to a nutritionist gave me a bunch of nature pills and i feel worse this week than any other - not only that i can barely keep awake it has got so bad i go sleep at work in lunch times and i nap in the car i slump on the couch immediately i get home from work i have lost my appetite, i feel weak constantly, i feel slight off balance and little dizzy when i am stand or sit even it comes and goes and never STOPS!! i am sooooooo tired of feeling this way i just want to wake up one day and feel good... i even wake up during the night feeling nausea or sometimes with a chronic headache too - i have had brain scans, every scan and MRI in my body you can have.........nothing is working!!!!!!
|

replied April 16th, 2012
My name is Angie.I have been sick for over 2 yrs and they cannot figure out what is wrong..I have bouts of severe nausea,belching,acid reflux.Nothing seems to help.Im on 3 different stomach meds.I have had so many test to where it is making me feel like im crazy when they all come back normal.Like i have told all the doctors,i will be fine for weeks and then bam it feels like something just quit working.It is a miserable way to live.I feel sorry for my kids and husband cause i cant eat what they do.I eat the same 4 things everyday..I miss having a some what normal life. I just had back surgery and i think the pain meds are to blame for this latest flare up.It is going on a week of barely eating or drinking,and taking maloxx just to help keep water down.So i now have stopped all pain meds and im just completely miserable..If u ever find any answers to ur problem would u plz let me know..I pray u wiil feel better so soon..Oh sorry about my spelling
|

replied April 16th, 2012
i have gone to a nutritionist physician for the first time this week and for the first time this week i feel normal - she has sent me for blood work which i will do tomorrow, she told me from my past months bloodwork by the other doctor that i am very low on vitamin D so she has put me on 5000 units a day, plus has given me a natural med once a day to lower my blood sugar level and cholesterol as i am very mild on starting diabetes, she is testing me for lupus, silent inflammation any toxins in my body, heart disease, thyroid many tests - once i have those tests i am having blood work for my GI Tract which is more extensive blood work etc.....well i will let you know how it goes - but i am feeling the best i have felt in months so far, and vitamin D is one of the most important ingredients for your body, for hair skin cancer etc.....hope you feel better too ...
|

replied April 17th, 2012
Thank u for replying..i too am having blood work done today..I wish u so much luck and i will have to check into the Vitamin D,i was taking that pre-surgey..
|

replied January 4th, 2013
Finally, an original idea! Thanks! Gonna try this approach. Tired of being sick.
|

replied May 30th, 2012
Chronic Nausea and some natural remedies
Hello everyone, I have been dealing with chronic nausea and stomach pain for almost 2 years now. I have tried quite a few things to ease it, and still have quite a few things to try. I've gotten all the blood work, endoscopies, ultrasounds and whatnots done, and my doctor, finding nothing else wrong, diagnosed it as "functional dyspepsia" largely stress induced. He had suggested the anti-depressant, but I am not one to be fond of prescription drugs...So far what has worked the best for me is acupuncture! It takes several visits but it does something to completely calm your nervous system and I was nausea free for several months...of course, until I was put under a lot of stress again and started consuming all the caffiene and alcohol I wasn't supposed to have...now I am going back to acupuncture as well as a few other things. Medical marijuana works pretty well, but its not something I use during the day. I've started using SeaBands, which are acupressure bands with little plastic balls on them that go on your wrists. They put pressure on the nausea points and within an hour I notice that my nausea has gone. I'm also using a dietary supplement called Iberogast, which I have only found to be mildly effective. I have eliminated all coffee and tea from my diet and I'm cutting back drastically on alcohol and spicy food. Next I am going to try a more plant-based and low-fat diet as I have heard that this will make your body more alkaline, reducing the acidity of the stomach, while low-fat foods are more easily digestible. If that does not work, I will try eliminating gluten. Stress reduction techniques are very important! Yoga, and deep breathing has helped some, but even more helpful has been a change in perspective. I am typically very hard on myself and try to be as productive as possible at all times. Now I have stopped making to-do lists at home and instead of getting mad at myself for not crossing everything off the list, I congratulate myself for getting things accomplished. I figure that if the task is important enough, I will remember it without turning it into a lengthy list and stressing myself out. It's very important to evaluate your sources of stress in life and to admit that you play a role in creating the stress by seeing the situations as stressful versus positive opportunities. Also, I understand how frustrating this is to deal with every day and not have solid answers from doctors, but you have to remember to not freak out, think the worst, etc. That will only get you more worked up and make your nausea worse. I hope everyone gets some relief and works it out! I just want to know that this is not something I'll have to deal with for the rest of my life, but at least these remedies have gradually reduced my symptoms.
|
12 >>