Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

Is It Possible That Vitamins Make Me Tired? (Page 1)

my history.
I am a school teacher and I workout everyday after work.
I have been doing this without problem.
I decided that adding vitamins to my diet and workout would be a benefit.
I went to GNC and bought Mega Men Sport dietary supplement. It comes with 30 vitapacks that have seven pills in each pouch.
I have been taking them for a week now, everyday during my lunch hour around 11:30.
15 minutes after taking them I feel exhausted and rundown. I have never been like this. It's to the point where I do not feel like working out.
Is it possible that vitamins have a reverse effect on some people? I know the simple solution is to just stop taking them, but I also wonder is it something maybe my body will adjust to and in the long run I will feel better.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper TheShelty
|

replied May 25th, 2007
Vitamin Make Me Tired
Yes, Vitamins can most definately make you tired, that do that to me also, and many other people as well. I've tried different vitamins, including the Mega vitamins, and they make me very tired. I am going to stop taking vitamins for a while, to see how I feel, and just eat better. You can get vitamins thru fortified foods, such as cereals, oatmeal, etc....and also fruits and veggies as well. I think maybe vitamins cause an im-balance in our delicate system.
I don't eat any processed foods.
Try not taking them for a while to see how you feel. I mean, if you feel worse, more tired taking them, that's telling you something.
|

replied April 22nd, 2012
tired rom vitamins
I did more searching and this seems to give more answers than questions http://www.virginiahopkinstestkits.com/vit aminsbad.html
|

replied January 21st, 2009
Vitamins make me tired
I have just been getting over a case of food poisoning. In which case, I have not taken any of my Mega Men's Gold for the past couple of days. I felt like I had the energy of my 20's while not on the pep pills. I took one of my vitamins for the first time this morning and I was out like a light. I have been through A&P classes, and have no clue why this happens.
|

replied January 21st, 2009
OMG I'm taking the same exact vitamins and experiencing the same thing, I'm going to stop taking them.
|

replied March 16th, 2009
I am having the exact same effect. I noticed it happens as well when I have taken a fruitdrink with lot's of vitamine C.
|

replied March 25th, 2009
i'm with you
i take my vitamins - multi, iron, c and echinacia every morning at 9:30 and by 11 I can't keep my eyes open. I am goint to switch it to night and see what happens!
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2009
Experienced User
imbalanced is why
We don't necessarily need all that is in a multi vitamin & mineral tab for example magnesium some tablets etc have different forms of magnesium in them, magnesium oxide is only absorbed at a rate of 4% where chelated magnesium in different forms is absorbed much more efficiently depending on the functionability of our digestive systems & other levels of co contributing nutrients. An educational web site that teaches you about the balance of nutrition is ithyroid.com
hope it helps!
|
Users who thank timeisshort for this post: shoppercheryl9 

replied May 1st, 2009
I am a female, I also work out regularly, and I eat pretty well but don't always get my fruits and veggies into my diet. I was feeling just fine, but I thought taking a multi would be more beneficial. I took the Women's Ultra Mega from GNC, which made me feel very relaxed. I have a part-time job for which I need to be very active, and thought the Women's Ultra Mega Active would give me some energy. Wrong! I'm exhausted - can barely lift my usual weight at the gym, or do my 45 mins of cardio, tired while at work, and at my part-time job...no energy to be found. Can't find anything else online about this topic except this website. Maybe I don't need all those vitamins, but which ones specifically? I'm thinking the B's, but who can say? I stopped taking them and I feel like a million bucks.
|

replied May 2nd, 2009
What causes this?
I am so glad that I am not the only one feeling this way. I have a very active lifestyle and just a week agao started taking the GNC Mens Sport Vitamin. I thought I was nuts thinking that the vitamins made me tired. Like the earlier post, I feel exhausted about 15 minutes after taking the vitamins. Has anyone tried to take them right before bedtime to see if that makes it any easier?
|

replied June 28th, 2009
Hi,

No, l have not tried to take them before bedtime but maybe l'll try taking them in the early hours of the evening. But than again, not taking them at all makes me feel like the earlier post, a million bucks. I have untold energy don't matter how tired l am. I think my body is telling me that l don't need them. I am going for a blood test soon and if l am not low in anything, than l'm not going to take them anymore. Found even l can not do the simpliest of things anymore.
|

replied July 13th, 2009
I'm so glad I found this post, I thought I was going nuts! I recently changed my diet to very healthy, at least 3 veggies, one fruit and lean protein at each meal. I have super energy...UNTIL I take my vitamins, and then I am dead tired. I take them at night, and can barely get up or function the next day. The nights I skip them, I am back to energetic the next day! Some of them I need to take for a medical condition, but I am going to try removing those that are not for anything specific, and see if I can avoid the "vitamin fatigue"!
|

replied July 31st, 2009
does a high concentration of vitamin C cause lethargy
i have been very lethargic in the past 3 years; which i put to post-pregnancy and/or hormonal imbalance... i work out regularly; strength train, cardio, yoga and never thought vitamins could cause tiredness! i have slowly decreased the amount of vitamins over the past 3 years; owing to side effects. evening of primrose oil caused acne breakouts and increased appetite; multi-vitamins with high B concentration caused insomnia; etc. i stop all vitamins but vitamin C; but the lethargy continued... however, for the past week, i have not taken any; and though i do not feel energetic; i feel somewhat better; less tired!! i have been pulling my hair out trying to correct my lethargy; i eat healthily; work out regularly; and currently (apart from last week) take only vitamin C. i am thinking of drinking fresh orange/apple juices in place of synthetic vit C? if anyone knows for fact that vitamin C (1000mg) can cause tiredness or general unwell being, please do advise
|

replied January 13th, 2013
Avoid D-ascorbic acid
Yes! and No! It depends. Depends on what type of "VIT C" you are taking. Whether it is Vit c or "VIT C". There is a big difference. Let me explain. The vast majority of the "VIT C" out there on the market (some sources say over 90%) is not really Vit C at all. You have to be careful about what you are taking because the fake kind of Vitamin C can make you very sick, worsen your symptoms and can actually kill you if taken in very high doses. Be careful. The real stuff. Real Vitamin C will make you very healthy, clear up all your symptoms, and can never, ever harm you even at ridiculously high doses (even as high as 300 grams by IV daily).

Vit C is ascorbic acid. Right? Well, what most people don't know is that there are two very distinctly different forms of ascorbic acid. There is L-ascorbic acid and D-ascorbic acid. L-ascorbic acid is exactly the same (read EXACTLY) as the ascorbic acid found in nature, in fruits and veggies, and that other animals naturally produce within their bodies (humans are one of the few species on the planet that don't produce their own Vit C. Go figure). L-ascorbic acid has all the same vitamin activity within the human body that natural Vit c has. Now, D-ascorbic acid is very different. The exact opposite actually. If you were to look at a sample of D-ascorbic acid under a microscope and compare it to a sample of L-ascorbic acid under a microscope you would find one remarkable difference. They are the exact mirror image of each other. The same shape, but in exactly the opposite direction. Now, it's interesting that D-ascorbic acid has none of the Vit C activity that L-ascorbic acid and natural Vit C has. It will actually make you sick, give you a sore throat, lower your immune system, and make you feel very weak. The exact opposite of real Vit C, which is L-ascorbic acid. And the mirror image D-ascorbic acid accounts for approximately 90% of the "VIT C" out there. It is mostly produced in china. It is in all of the "fortified" foods including the "fortified" cereals you feed to your children. It is also in the vast majority of "Vitamin" supplements. Including most if not all of the generic Multivitamins and all of the generic "VIT C" pills you buy off the shelf. This is one reason, among many, that processed foods and generic "Vitamins" make people tired and sick.

So, you are now probably wondering "what do I do about this?" Stop taking generic D-ascorbic acid and start taking L-ascorbic acid. You will notice that the difference is remarkable. You can find L-ascorbic acid at most health food stores. You will not find it at any pharmacies, grocery stores, GNC's or big box stores. It is out there if you know where to look though. You just have to be very, very picky and know what you are looking for. What you should be taking is Vitamin C Crystals. It should say "100%" on the bottle (Don't take anything that is not 100%, when Vit C is synthesized it produces very toxic byproducts and you want those to be 100% gone). It should also say "Pharmaceutical Grade (USP)", This means it meets the standards of the The United States Pharmacopeial Convention.

From their website "The United States Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USPs drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are developed and relied upon in more than 140 countries."

It should also say L-ascorbic acid on the bottle. If it does, you know you are safe. If it doesn't, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not L-ascorbic acid but you are going to have to contact the manufacturer to find out. If they "Don't Know" then it is definitely D-ascorbic acid. Run in the other direction. I know from personal experience. Also, don't take any "VIT C" product ordered off the internet that arrives in a clear plastic zip lock bag. Run away from it and get your money back. I guarantee you it will make you sick.

Stay away from any mineral ascorbates. They are the salt form of ascorbic acid. Such as calcium ascobate, magnesium ascorbate, potassium ascorbate etc. These shouldn't be taken in high doses because you will be mega-dosing your body on that mineral. Something you don't want to be doing on a daily basis. It also makes your body have to do more work. It will have to separate the ascorbic acid from the mineral before it can use it which uses up energy unnecessarily. Another reason I don't use mineral ascorbates is because that is not how Vit C is found in nature and that is not how animals produce it in their bodies.

So, "How do I take this Pharmaceutical Grade L-ascorbic acid?" You can take it orally, intramuscular, or intravenously (yes, it's safe enough to take straight to the vein). You probably don't have the resources or the experience to take it via the latter two ways so lets go over how to take it orally. It's very simple. I just take it like a shot. I put some water in my mouth. Tilt my head up. Pour the Vit C crystals down to the back of my throat and swallow. I find that I can often skip my tongue that way. If you get the powder on your tongue you will find it has a very strong bitter taste. Some people like to dissolve it in water and drink it. That is fine but take note that Vit C spoils very quickly in water (less than 24 hours). So don't plan on mixing up a big gallon of it and storing it in the fridge. By tomorrow it will be useless. Prep it fresh every time you take it. It can also be mixed in with juices or foods but again, prep it fresh and don't store it that way. Keep the Vit C away from light and heat, and keep the cap closed whenever you can. Light, heat and oxygen destroy nutrients. Vit C is an antioxidant so if you expose it to too much air you can use up much of its beneficial properties.

How much should you take? Well' as much or as little as you like. I take 5,000 mg about 5 to 6 times daily. A total of about 25 to 30 thousand milligrams. Sometimes I take more. But I also take over 12,000 mg of Niacin (Vit B3, a powerful detoxifier of which a dose of this kind would easily kill the average person) daily, so you probably don't need as much as me. My wife takes much more Vit C than I do. She has a stressful job. Linus Pauling recommended 6,000 to 18,000 mg daily. If you do choose to drink it dissolved in water I highly recommend you brushing your teeth right afterward because the high acidity of ascorbic acid can damage precious tooth enamel.

Ok. Now for a note on scurvy. What I have just described in this post is pretty much directions on how to mega-dose Vit C. Many opponents to mega-dosing Vit C will point out that if you mega-dose on Vit C and then stop cold turkey you will develop scurvy. Well, that is true but also not true. It is also not true that it is not safe. Let me explain. If you stop taking mega-doses of Vit C (20,000+ mg daily) cold turkey you will develop the "symptoms" of scurvy, but not scurvy itself. These "symptoms" will last about 2 days before the body will revert back to its old regimen and then go away. Here's the interesting thing, and why I recommend everyone should mega-dose Vit C. When your body has access to mega-dose amounts of Vit C it turns on functions within your body that were previously laying dormant. Functions that keep your body young and healthy. When the human body is deficient in Vit C ( which every human on the planet is because we are one of the very few species that has lost the ability to create Vit C. It is interesting to note that the human race is one of only 3 mammals on the planet that doesn't produce Vit C and must obtain it from the environment. The other two mammals being monkeys and guinea pigs. Every other mammal on the planet makes enough Vit C themselves that they don't need any from the food they eat.) When we are deficient in Vit C, and you are deficient right now unless you are mega-dosing (those little tablets from the store aren't enough and even if they were we have already gone over why you shouldn't take them to begin with) the human body turns off the higher functions which require Vit C to function and focuses all the Vit C it has on keeping running the few functions it needs to have running or else you die. It is reverting Vit C away from the higher, beneficial but not completely necessary, functions in order to keep the absolutely necessary ones running to keep you alive. You have been deficient in Vit C from the day you were born so these higher functions have never turned on. When you mega-dose (I would say about over 20,000 mg daily) these higher functions turn on. Your skin gets nicer, clearer and gets a generally silky feeling to it. Your face looks younger and prettier. Your wrinkles go away. More collagen goes to your face. Your joints work better. You have fewer, if any at all, aches and pains. You have more energy. You sleep better. You have a better attitude. And you are less grouchy, you don't get angry as easy, and have a better attitude about life and feel healthier. What used to upset you doesn't. Now, if you stop Vit C cold turkey, these higher functions will keep running. Which means the body is still putting Vit C towards them. Which means less Vit C towards the vital functions that prevent scurvy and death. Hence, symptoms of scurvy will start to show because less Vit C is being put toward those vital functions because the higher functions are still running. But this only last about 2 days before the body will notice that the mega-dose has stopped and revert back to "survival" mode. Then the scurvy symptoms will stop. It lasts up to two days and thats it. And only if you stop cold turkey. So this scurvy scare that people will use to try to use to get you to stop taking Vit C is ridiculous. Oh. No. Dont take too much Vit C or youll get scurvy. I read about it. That is just ridiculous. The idea that too much Vit C leads to scurvy is simply due to ignorance and misinformation. Ignore those people.

So. In recap:
1. Be picky about your Vit C. All Vit C you take should be:
a. L-ascorbic acid
b. Pharmaceutical Grade
c. 100%
d. use only crystals or powder (they are absorbed better)
2. avoid mineral ascorbates
3. run like hell from any D-ascorbic acid
4. mega-dose at 20,000 mg + if you want the benefits of the higher functions
5. be aware that "fortified" foods and most "mutivitamins" use D-ascorbic acid
|
Users who thank TheShelty for this post: ShabbaMan 

replied August 9th, 2009
Sleepy on Vitamins
I am glad that I found this post. I am not taking GNC vitamins, but, the ones that I am taking still make me sleepy.
|

replied August 9th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
JayGeo and others
My guess is that your body metabolizes vitimins or additives differently, that the process of breaking them down drops your blood pressure enough that you feel weary, kind of like eating a nice thick steak makes you feel a bit lethargic.

If you are taking nothing more than multi-vitamins it would be very unusual for your body not to metabolize them easily. It could be a sign of illness. You should talk to a doctor about this if it proves to be an issue with other brands of vitamins.
|

replied August 16th, 2009
Like everyone else, I'm glad to find that I'm not crazy for having "vitamin fatigue". When I first started taking multivitamins, I felt great -- cut way back on my caffine intake, was more productive, etc. But after a few months is when the fatigue set in to the point of almost passing out some mornings. I also suspect that the metabolization of all those vitamins is what does it. So what I've been trying for the last month or so is switching from a multivitamin to specific vitamins that I need. For example, I actually get plenty of vitamin A, calcuim, and even iron in my regular diet. So I tried taking just a total B complex which really made me pass out. So now I'm focusing on just folic acid and vitamin D and that seems to work for me. I'm also considering getting chewable multivitamins (even if it's the kids kind) and biting off little pieces during the day to avoid that one big mega dose.
|
Users who thank AngelaBabyCat for this post: shoppercheryl9 

replied August 19th, 2009
I too had this experience! I did some looking into it, and like others here have already posted, this seems to be a natural side effect, and from what i read drowsiness seems to have a link to b12 and other high b vitamin doses. i havent tried to the chewable pill, but i read on the above site that a way to control the drowsiness may be to spread out your intake throughout the day instead of a one time 'loading' dose.
hope this helps!
|

replied January 25th, 2012
Feel sleepy on vitamin B-Complex.
I think I know what it is.It's the B complex.It helps to break down Fat and protine in the stomic and i think that it'S doing the same in the intestine.I think it is doing a clensing inside breaking down toxens and med's that may have been stored in the walls of the colen. So now I am feeling the med's and the bad stuff is going back into the systum.That's why we feel like pardin the pun----CRAP. --sorry no spell check...
|

replied January 25th, 2012
Feel sleepy on vitamin B-Complex.
I think I know what it is.It's the B complex.It helps to break down Fat and protine in the stomic and i think that it'S doing the same in the intestine.I think it is doing a clensing inside breaking down toxens and med's that may have been stored in the walls of the colen. So now I am feeling the med's and the bad stuff is going back into the systum.That's why we feel like pardin the pun----CRAP. --sorry no spell check...
|

replied September 3rd, 2009
Wow thank god for this post im taking gnc mega men sport and its making me dead tired gonna stop right now thought i was sick are somthing i had ton of energy before guess if it aint broke dont try to fix it.
|

replied September 16th, 2009
Is there such a thing as taking to much vitamins is bad for you?
|

User Profile
replied September 24th, 2009
I am experiencing the same thing, I'm taking GNC Mega Women, and extra Iron because of severe Anemia. I was wondering if I might be getting TOO MUCH Iron... Although I used to take Mega Women and it really made me feel GREAT... I'm now post menopausal and still Anemic & nothing's helping my tiredness, if not the vitamins + iron might be making me worse... I did research all other Medications I was taking to see if any caused Anemia and SURPRISINGLY ONE DID... I thought I was CRAZY until I found this BLOG... THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR SHARING...
ONE THING THAT MAKES ME FEEL 100% is CARROT/APPLE/CELERY JUICE...
|

replied July 5th, 2012
Are you sure your anemia is to little iron. I have Hemochromatosis, which is too much iron and the symptoms for anemia and iron overload are the same. Tests for TIBC, Iron, Ferritin, Iron Saturation are needed on top of your hemoglobin. If my hemoglobin and hematicrit are in the normal range, I am loading iron. I need to keep my hemoglobin under 12 and hematicrit close to 31/35.
|

replied October 11th, 2009
I like the rest of you seem to be suffering from "Vitamin Fatiuge" so I wrote GNC and below you will see the message I sent to them. If they respond I will gladly share with everyone.I need to get to the bottom of this.

Dear GNC,
I am a 42 year old female and I had gone to my local GNC in Peekskill,NY and bought a few of your products.I had purchased Ultra Mega Womens, 5000mcg B12 subligual, and liqid D3 and since I've started them I am so tired, totally exhausted and usually I have too much energy and require very little sleep. Now I cannot get enough sleep and need a nap.
I was told from blood work that I needed Vitamin B12 and D3 now I figured I should also take a multi as I probably need everything that wasn't tested for as well. Help what is going on??? All my other labs came back normal and just about everything that would cause anything was checked.
What is going on with me and your Ultra Mega??? It seems I am not alone from this forum!!!! If you could please advise it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Thank you in advance
|
Quick Reply