Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Chronic Sore Throat After Singing

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hi Everyone,
I need some serious help. Since elementary school my throat has hurt after singing. I have spent thousands on voice lessons from the top teachers and everytime I vocalize my throat hurts for a few days later. I am getting allergy shots once a week since I have allergies to almost everything on the list from my ent. I sometimes take zyrtec, which really dries out my throat. I have a really hard time getting a sufficient breath in and filling my diaphragm. Does anyone know of groups that meet in Los Angeles to work on this problem or know of a speech therapist who works on helping people with their vocal chord dysfunction? Also, does anyone know of any alternative treatments for postnasal drip and allergies instead of zyrtec? I am getting nosebleeds from it. I appreciate all your help. Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile rooted
|

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2008
Supporter
Maybe your body is telling you something. Do you think that you were born to be a singer or are you pushing yourself to sing?

Honey helps my sore throats.
|

replied February 12th, 2008
born to sing
I do believe in my heart that I was born to sing. I love singing and it is my passion. I do feel it may be emotionally related. Do you know anyone who does energy healing? Thanks, Kelly Smile
|

User Profile
Supporter
Sure ... have you ever heard of Russill Paul? He's an Indian teacher of music and healing through music. You might want to check out his work. I attended a workshop he taught about mantra and healing. It was wonderful! He might be able to guide you or direct you to someone who can help.

Also what exercises are you doing to increase the volume of the diaghram?

Where is Playa Del Ray?
|

voice exercises
I have heard of Russil paul, i will need to check out the site for sure, thanks
as for diaphragm exercises i just do some deep breathing in the morning but that's about it, do you know where i can find some way to help my breath?
thanks again Smile
|

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2008
Supporter
Sure. Would you like me to outline some exercises that can strengthen your diaphragm? They are based on the rhythm of your heart ... and quite easy to learn.
|