Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Excessive Saliva In Mouth Whilst Sleeping

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Help! I have a really embarassing problem, whilst I am sleeping a lot of saliva gathers in my mouth and runs down my mouth and onto my clothes and pillow case making a horrible mess of both.
Is it drooling,or does this condition have another medical terminology?
This condition has been affecting me a for long period of time,
any help to alleviate my condition will be gratefully appreciated.
Embarassed
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper snc
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
Just found your post, I can't believe no one has at least written to say HELLO..... I call this drooling as I have awaken on several occasions and found I "slept with my mouth open again" pillow soaked in one spot. I do know of several other people who have had this happen. As for if this is a medical condition, I can't help on that. Hope you find an answer! Laughing
|

replied June 2nd, 2007
Re: Excessive Saliva In Mouth Whilst Sleeping
Did it begin after a visit to a doctor or is it something new?
Usually every individual produces saliva all the time and by reflex will swallon unconsciosly. This is essential to the function of the oral mucous membrane. Your problem might be that u produce too much saliva due to a certain medication. In this case, u should see the doctor who was prescribing u the medication.
Maybe u should consult an ENT specilist to get ur saliva tested.
Try to remember the first time this phenomennon occurred for the first time and whether there are some correlations to visits to a doctor.
|

replied June 2nd, 2007
Re: Excessive Saliva In Mouth Whilst Sleeping
Did it begin after a visit to a doctor or is it something new?
Usually every individual produces saliva all the time and by reflex will swallon unconsciosly. This is essential to the function of the oral mucous membrane. Your problem might be that u produce too much saliva due to a certain medication. In this case, u should see the doctor who was prescribing u the medication.
Maybe u should consult an ENT specilist to get ur saliva tested.
Try to remember the first time this phenomennon occurred for the first time and whether there are some correlations to visits to a doctor.
|

replied March 20th, 2009
yesss I have heard of that before. What happens is that while sleeping without u noticing u move ur tounge around and since ur sleeping u dun spit out like u would if u were moving ur tounge while awake. I knew some girl that did that. The best thing to do is to sleep w a ���� in ur mouth this way at least someone can benefit from ur drooling problem.
|

replied January 12th, 2010
I have the same problem since childhood. due to excessive saliva I have two dark spots beneath my mouth. please help
|

replied April 28th, 2010
Excessive saliva can often be a very discomforting and embarrassing problem. Read on to know all about the causes and treatment of excessive saliva production.

Are you being avoided by your friends? Do your friends prefer to talk ceaselessly so as to ensure that you don''t contribute to the conversation under any circumstance? Well then, although these signs are not enough to reach a concrete diagnosis, they sure are enough for pointing towards the possibility of you suffering from a condition which leads to the production of excessive saliva. Excessive saliva, also called ptyalism or sialorrhea (yes, there is a medical term for this condition), though not a very grave or serious condition, can often lead to unnervingly embarrassing situations, where you are forced to keep your mouth shut and lie that you''ve just come back from a very influential Vipassana camp, so as to ensure that the person in front of you isn''t forced to take a bath in your oral secretions. So, to help you with this condition, given below are the causes, symptoms and treatment for excessive saliva - all spelled and spit out for your perusal.

Excessive Saliva Causes
As mentioned earlier, excessive saliva in mouth is not a disease in itself, but is merely a symptom or a manifestation of a disease. This condition could be present right from childhood, or could suddenly crop up later in life. Given below are the causes of excessive saliva:

· One of the main causes of excessive saliva is over-functioning of the salivary glands, which leads to the production of more amount of saliva. This may occur if there is a parotid swelling, or a salivary gland tumor.

· Another condition when there may be excessive saliva in the mouth, despite normal functioning of the salivary glands, is if the rate of swallowing is below normal. More often than not, the saliva that is produced, is swallowed on a regular basis, which is done at a subconscious level by the body. However, in some diseases, like swollen palate, swollen tonsils, facial paralysis, Bell''s palsy etc., there may be excessive saliva present due to the inability of the person to regularly swallow the saliva, as the head and neck muscle functioning is impaired. This is the reason why drooling is often seen in patients of facial paralysis and Bell''s palsy.

· There are certain medications that have the side effect of production of excessive saliva. These include medications that are used to treat schizophrenia like clozapine, along with other medications like nitrazepam, risperidone, bethanechol, lithium etc. Also, most cholinergic drugs have an effect of stimulating the glands into producing excessive saliva.

· During the initial stages of pregnancy, some women complain of excessive saliva in mouth. It is said that this mostly occurs due to the change in hormonal levels. It is especially seen in women who feel nauseated very often during pregnancy.

· Other causes of excessive saliva include new dental restorations, new dentures etc.

Excessive Saliva Symptoms
Well, the symptom is quite obvious - excess saliva! You''ll be a walking, talking Sylvester the cat. Your inadvertent mimicry of saying "Suffering succotash!" or "You''re desthpicable!" may not exactly go down well with most people, irrespective of whether they are fans of looney toons or not, hence, in such a condition, you will need to take certain treatment measures to curb this symptom of excessive saliva.

Excessive Saliva Treatment
The treatment for excessive saliva will mostly depend on the severity and the cause of the problem. If the excessive saliva is due to the intake of drugs that are leading to this condition as a side effect, then it is best to temporarily stop the intake of these drugs, decrease their dosage, or switch to other drugs that do not have this side effect. Excessive salivation during pregnancy differs from person to person and is mostly a transitional problem, that is often curbed naturally after the first trimester. In severe cases, one of the remedies for excessive saliva is to make use of certain drugs, like anticholinergic drugs, though its dosage must be controlled, as it can not only lead to dry mouth, may also cause other untoward systemic changes, if not regulated in its dosage. It is often seen that parents fret, when they see their infant drooling. It is important to note here that infants have a tendency to produce excessive saliva naturally, especially when they are teething, so there is actually no need to fret if you see your child drooling excessively, though you can always consult a dentist just to be on the safe side.

Thus, excessive saliva is merely a discomforting and embarrassing symptom that one needs to deal with. So ,instead of getting distressed over this symptom, look on the bright side - you have lesser chances of caries, which translates into lesser visits to the dentist! And although, people with this symptom will always be wondering why they produce excessive saliva, always remember that there are other people around the world, like people suffering from Sjogren''s syndrome symptoms, who will be salivating at the thought of excessive saliva!

HOPE this will help you guys... just read it i want to share it to you
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
excessivesalivation
i dont know were my saliva from...im wondering that it came from my stomach thats
why it produce a bad smell on my moouth,,, thats why im confused everytime it will happen to me,,why is it happening?
|

replied April 18th, 2012
I have this problem as well. I do not have any health issues that may account for the excessive saliva production while I sleep. I read somewhere (http://www.ehow.com/how_7606997_prevent-d rooling-sleeping.html) that I should try sleeping on my back. I did, and it has stopped the excessive saliva. Apparently when you sleep on your back as opposed to on your sides, it enables your body to swallow the saliva that the body naturally creates. Someone also suggested trying Breathe Right Strips which I will be attempting tonight. I hope this helps. It's been a problem for me for many years now, and I'm glad to have some solutions on my hand.
|

replied April 26th, 2013
There are several possible factors to excessive saliva or drooling while asleep.
As we all know, when we eat, our salivary glands secrete...saliva. Here are my experiences and thoughts.
If your eating spicey and or citric foods nearing your
bedtime, this may very well be the cause for the excessive drooling during sleep. In addition to the two types of foods just mentioned, other alkalizing foods may cause the salivary glands to produce excessive saliva. Just the thought alone of lemons... will cause one to salivate.
Try brushing your teeth, tongue and rinsing out your mouth thoroughly before going to bed. Also, drink plenty of water.
|