Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Managing Bipolar After Menopause

Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....
Actually at age 58 I am only now being "diagnosed" with bipolar disorder. When I was going "over the edge" 20 years ago, I joined a spiritula community, the hare krsna "cult" and practiced meditation. As I matured, I became increasingly isolated as I tried to "spearhead" an ashram single-handedly in florida. Additonally, even though meditation can and is beneficial to me, there was the huge affect of the loss of estrogen stimulation post-menopausal. Now I am managed by prozac, depakane, and respiridal which keeps me focused,, along with my meditation. Contrary to what people believe spiritual groups do not discourage the use of medication. It is simply a chemical reality. :d
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 7th, 2004
Bipolar And Menopause
Hello! Now your post describes exactly what i've been through, and it's rough, isn't it! I had a surgical menopause and hrt gave me migraines so that cancelled that out. I'm now 54 and back on meds, depakote and lexapro (so far). Meditation and such is excellent! Sooner or later I knew I needed something more. Please reply and let me know how you're doing, ok? From light2dark Smile
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD