Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Swelling 6 Weeks After Hysterectomy

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
it has been 6 weeks since i had a total abdominal hysterectomy. my abdomen has been swollen for the last 2 days it looks like i am about 4-5 months pregnant. the joke at work is what am i going to name it. ha ha funny but it is not to me? is this normal this far out after surgery? i do not feel like i am over doing it at all i know someone has told me there could be a chance of infection but i have not been running a fever or feel bad just uncomfortable from the swelling. at this point my abdomen is more swollen that it was after the 1st few days after surgery. Sad

i am new to this e health forum hopefully this will work Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile CarolineEF
|

User Profile
replied May 7th, 2007
Community Volunteer
swelling post op is very normal.
all your insides have been jiggled around and need to settle.
abdominal hysterectomy is major surgury.
this means you need to take recovery properly and fromthe sounds of it you have been doing too much too soon.
This is a common cause of swelling.
Just take it easy a while and allow your self to recover - you only get one chance at a proper recovery.
|

replied October 26th, 2009
any tips on what or what not to do? and what you would consider overdoing it? i am 5 weeks post op and am having the same issues as kmkmom3.
Help!!!!!! any feedback appreciated.
|

User Profile
replied October 26th, 2009
Community Volunteer
The swelling is part of it...It takes time..Everything was worked on inside you and has to find it's way back in place...Don't lift anything heavy...Try not doing too much bending over...Drink plenty of liquids and keep fiber in your diet...Don't worry and be happy that it is behind you....You will do just great...Regards...

Caroline
|

User Profile
replied November 10th, 2009
Sub-Total Hysterectomy.
I had a sub-total Hysterectomy. Saturday 7th Nov 09. I feel fine, an have no pain, apart from when i bend, cough, laugh. Or pass wind, but i know this is early days 4 me, will the swelling go down, i do feel bloated, plus my stitches are still in place till next week, also wanted 2 know, what could be the possible weight of fibroids, mines where 20/40cm, an many more small ones to. But i have no bleeding, and do feel in good general health. Would appreciate any feedback on my questions. Thanxs all. Smile
|

replied December 3rd, 2009
Swelling& bloating
I had a complete abdominal hysterectomy on 10/13/09 & am having the same swelling/bloating issues. I'm 7 lbs lighter than pre-op (size6) but can't wear any if my pants or stand to even have a slip around my waist because of the discomfort. Am wondering how long this usually lasts...?
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2009
Community Volunteer
You are talking about months...Remember all the internal organs have been moved around and must settle down again...There is internal stitching as well as external...I think a lot of this depends upon your weight...If you are a large woman it will take longer and if you are a smaller woman, you will compact easier...I would say 6 months to a year...I was stitched from navel to the top of the crack of my pubic area...Believe me, it did hurt....Take care...

Caroline
|

replied July 12th, 2011
Post op navel issues after total hysterectomy
I had a total hysterectomy and was cut around the navel down to pubic area. The use staples and glue stitching, but my navel was moved and their is a dent where the navel used to be. The doctor said we will see later if it is a hernia, but I have never had a hernia and it is in the exact spot where my navel was. My previous navel was very deeply sunk in; it has only been a week since my surgery on 7/5/11; has anyone had this problem?
|