Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Hip Pain And Popping

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Hi there, I am a 21 year old female and have been suffering from severe hip pain for the past 2 years. I am unable to sit with my legs straight out because of the sharp and throbbing pain this causes. I also cannot sit cross-legged because of the same exact pain. When I am at the gym I cannot do any exercises that work the outter thigh, nor can exercises that require my feet to be my anchor (i.e. inclined sit-ups). When I am sitting for any length of time, even a couple of minutes, my hips get stiff and if I simply roll them outward there is a loud and deep pop in both of them. Whenever I get up from sitting there is also a loud pop from one or both of my hips. I had to stop playing field hockey in college because I wasn't able to do all of the sprinting and the drills that were required, and sometimes when I run I can feel something in my hips catching and popping (it's quite gross actually). I can't even stand and raise my leg up without causing pain, and when I have to sit for long periods of time, I start to feel a pulsating ache in both my hips. Please help!! My doctor gave me a couple stretches to do, but I can't even bear doing them, although I really try.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper activechick
|

replied May 11th, 2007
Sounds Like Bad Scarring
Hi! Reading your post, I thought it sounds like you have really bad scarring in your muscles and ligaments. What you described is exactly how scar works--it contracts and just gets worse over time.
Have you heard about a treatment called ASTYM? It's a system that's designed to get rid of old scarring. I had it done on both my feet and elbow, and got a lot of relief. Good luck!
|

replied February 23rd, 2009
Sports Related Snapping
I would start with a MRI (with contrast would be helpful) of the pubic/*Sacroiliac* area which is the joints and tendons, etc starting at the upper part of the buttocks going all the way down the leg with the hips & knees usually being heavily affected. The hips popping might just be snapping hip sydrome which is technically harmless for the most part but can cause pain, weakness and just plain being annoyed with having to hear it. The most I can say is at least with the snapping noise in the hip is that it is loud and annoying but when it comes to being worried.. Well.. My hip cracks at least 40 to about 65x a day and when it was half this much a doctor didn't seem concerned, I think he was wrong, only because this is a complete sports related injury which is why this is referred to as dancer's, or runner's hip (I don't do too many sports)but it sounds like you do, so keep track -If you notice it happens with certain movements, write it down, if it starts cracking more often, take a note of when and of how much, even if it just a sensation of a crack without the audible snap, let your doctor know all these things and hopefully physical therapy, or a cortisone shot might help.. Look up snapping hip, and ask you doc for an MRI.. Nip this in the butt now! Good luck
|

replied February 23rd, 2009
Hip pain and popping
Sounds to me like you have torn the labrum of one or both hips. The labrum is a piece of cartilage in the hip joint. You need an MRI to show this. Femoroacetabular impingement is a possible cause. That's what the docs tell me anyhow. I do not have nearly the amount of pain it sounds like you are dealing with, still surgery was advised for me. I haven�t opted to have the surgery due to the fact that it is a relatively new procedure and there really is not a lot of data on it. Also steroidal injections into the joint may be advised. Another thing I have not attempted. I would appreciate any feedback form anyone who has had either.
|

replied February 8th, 2011
It looks like a year has passed so i was curious what if anything came of this - I have had the same issues and it was in fact a torn labrum and my surgery is scheduled for March 2nd. I was curious to see if anybody else opted for surgery? - Even though it has been a year the it still seems to be a relatively rare procedure so i am a little anxious.
|

replied November 10th, 2011
I had this surgery for torn acetabular labrum about 2 years ago. Improvement took about 6 months in total, but it was definitely worthwhile. I was limping and in constant pain. Now it is starting to hurt again, because after the surgery I was told that there was also some bubbling of the lining on the hip socket (similar to wallpaper bubbling when put up incorrectly), for which there is currently no treatment available, and I was warned that this might cause problems in the future. I see that your surgery was scheduled for March. Hope it went well, and you are fine now.
|

replied February 23rd, 2011
Before anybody go for any surgery, find out all about the pros and cons. Is there any guarantee that the pain will go away or at least get better? I had been advised to go for a bunion surgery by a podiatrist. However, my family and friends told me otherwise. My friend to try wearing wide wide shoes which took away all my pain. It was some 4 years back and I don't have anymore complaints about my feet anymore. I wear only wide wide shoes or sandals. The orthopedics I saw so far do not even take more than 10 minutes to know about my history of pain. I don't even think that they have even looked at all the old reports.
My feeling is that most of them advise to go for some procedures without even trying to find the cause. Best of luck!
|