Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Tmj & Ear Problems

For the past 10 months I've struggled with chronic sinus infections which all the doctors I'd seen for this were attributing to allergies. Each one of these sinus infections went hand in hand with ear infections. I was even diagnosed with vertigo due to a supposed middle ear infection. I've FINALLY gotten over the dizziness.

So I go get tested for allergies and I'm not allergic to anything!

I have since started on a homeopathic remedy to get control of my "sinus issues" and that has helped.

However, for the past 3 months, I've had moments of ear fullness/deafness in my left ear. My eustachian tube refuses to open and the ear never pops to even out the pressure. I always feel like there's something blocking my ear canal. It's SO annoying! I've been to doctors for this and nobody sees anything wrong with my ear.

I have noticed several times that my jaw will click like crazy when I'm eating. It sounds like cellophane. It's not all the time, though. And I have days where my jaw feels super tight. I never really have any pain, however.

But I was reading on several different forums that ear problems can be a huge sign of TMJ and often TMJ goes undiagnosed because people are more concerned with the ears than anything else.

When I open up my jaw really wide, I feel like the left side (which is the one giving me the problems) completely pops out and then back in.

Is it possible that my ear problems are totally not sinus related, but have to do with possible TMJ? It's just weird to grasp that concept since I really haven't experienced any pain, just deafness, vertigo, and some tightness in my jaw. The deafness is driving me CRAZY!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 6th, 2007
Supporter
Hi,
Yes it is possible for all of your symptoms point to TMJ, especially since you have the popping and doctors have rules most everything else. I was diagnosed with TMJ before having any sinus or stuffy ear problems. I just woke up one morning with a locked jaw and pain. I didn't have any signs before. After that I started having all these sinus and ear problems and went to doctors. Nothing ever wrong. So it always pointed back to my TMJ.

Right now I would be careful not to open your mouth wide until you can see a dentist, preferably one who is good at treating TMJ. Your bite may be off a little bit or something else. Let the dentist look at you and see what he has to say.

I hope and pray that you will be diagnosed quickly. Take care.
God bless...
Carol
|

User Profile
replied May 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hi
I must agree with carol. I ve had this too. If you need help finding a good dentist/doctor let me know and ill be more than happy to help you out.
|

replied December 26th, 2009
My problem started in Aug. with ear fullness and the feeling that I needed to yawn constantly to clear the right side of my ear, drove me nuts and got anxiety from it. I went to a EMT, and nothing wrong with my ears, even had my molar taken out since it was cracked, thought that was the problem. My right side of my head hurts all the time, never goes away, feel so sore and bruised. I had a mri done, but found nothing. Then my chiropractor said you might have tmj, because my bite was going off to the side. I went to a dentist that deals with tmj, and he said I had it, my right side of the jaw does not line up when i bite down, i have made the muscles so sore, so i have been putting warm moist heat and then cold all the time. Not eating hard foods, not chewing gum, trying to relax the muscles as much as I can. Take ibprofen also. I will be getting a KOIS deprogrammer mouth device made this week, hope this gets better, it really is annoying. Anyone have this problem? nanc
|

replied December 26th, 2009
TMJ ?
My problem started in Aug. with ear fullness and the feeling that I needed to yawn constantly to clear the right side of my ear, drove me nuts and got anxiety from it. I went to a EMT, and nothing wrong with my ears, even had my molar taken out since it was cracked, thought that was the problem. My right side of my head hurts all the time, never goes away, feel so sore and bruised. I had a mri done, but found nothing. Then my chiropractor said you might have tmj, because my bite was going off to the side. I went to a dentist that deals with tmj, and he said I had it, my right side of the jaw does not line up when i bite down, i have made the muscles so sore, so i have been putting warm moist heat and then cold all the time. Not eating hard foods, not chewing gum, trying to relax the muscles as much as I can. Take ibprofen also. I will be getting a KOIS deprogrammer mouth device made this week, hope this gets better, it really is annoying. Anyone have this problem? nanc
|