Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Trying to Change From Cymbalta to Wellbutrin (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I am currently in the process of weaning (very quickly, I might add) from Cymbalta and go onto Wellbutrin. The weaning from Cymbalta went from 90 mg. to 60 mg. for three days, then 30 for three days to nothing for two days. I'm on day two of nothing, and I feel like I'm in Hell. I'm irritable, unable to focus (I have finals this weekend in an online class I'm taking), having strange physical sensations - the electrical bursts everyone talks about and also every few seconds, I feel like there is like a "moving of liquid" in my head that makes me off balance.

This is insane. Can these drugs really be good for you? It sounds like coming clean from heroin or crack or something. My stomach hurts, I'm nauseated, dizzy, fidgeting, can't sleep, exhausted, and I could go on and on.

All this because Cymbalta was making me sweat like a hooker in church (It was so bad that people would stop me in the grocery and ask if everything was ok). I stopped working out on account of it and have gained 40 lbs. in a year.

What can I do? I cannot stand this feeling. Should I go ahead and take more Cymbalta?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper feelingbluein09
|

replied May 20th, 2008
switching from cymbalta to wellbutrin
Hi,
I have been considering the same thing so I was doing some research on the internet and found that a lot of people take both, so I was wondering if while reducing the cymbalta (much slower than you suggest) why couldn't you introduce the wellbutrin slowly?
|
Users who thank yourgardener for this post: SueJ54 

replied July 2nd, 2012
I started the process last Weds. and my doctor has me on both for the first week, Cymbalta 30 and Welbutrin 175, and then the second week I will have the Welbutrin alone. The third week he is increasing my dosage to Welbutrin 300. It has been so much easier than the other time. I agree with ab1018 about the hell you go thru. It is not a place I want to ever go again. With the decreasing amount of Cymbalta in my system I am noticing that my emotions are resurfacing and I have laughed easier but it is still hard to cry, even when I have wanted to. I wish you all the luck in the world and I know it can be done.
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Definitely talk to your doc about it- perhaps a slower weaning would be better for you- but at this point (you're already off of it) you might just want to wait it out. It will get better! But calling your doc would be a good idea for some advice.
|

replied May 26th, 2008
I am wellbutrin, and love it..... You should start taking it as your doctor directed. One reason I chose wellbutrin over the others is, no weight gain and no sexual side affects. Yes drugs are drugs rather a doctor perscribes or you get them on the corner. They are all mind altering.
|

replied February 17th, 2009
cymbalta: has HORRIBLE withdrawl side effects!!
I weaned off of Cymbalta and am still having side effects and headaches. The withdrawl was soo BAD I thought I needed to be checked into Detox. I went from 60 mg. to 30 mg. then alternated days, the first two weeks were a living nightmare!! If you search the web message boards, I found one report with 83 possible side effects!! There is a on-line free pamplet the Road to Recovery. I experienced, pounding Migraine Headaches, chills, clammy skin, nausea, pronounced depression, Vivid Nightmares involving my family. I was scared to go to sleep at night. I quit watching any NCIS shows,etc. I had one dream, not necessarily me, but a suicide, victim hanging in shower....was it worth it to be on the MED. Absolutely NOT!, It did little at all to help with Fibro. pain, depression. I gained weight, along with LYRICA!! 30 lbs. I did switch back to Welbutrin after a couple of weeks, which has helped. The only advice my Neurologist said was to taper to 20 mg., but I did not one to take one step back into the Horrible Withdrawl Phasa. Maybe, some people have better luck!!, many do not and I pray for you during this rough time. God Bless Your Needs, D.White
|

replied February 26th, 2009
Withdrawals from Cymbalta
I have been on 30 mg. of cymbalta since the summer when my son was diagnosed with cancer. I went to 60 mg. and was jumping out of my skin. Now I'm back on 30 mg and want to get off of this med. The last 2 weeks I have been taking 30 mg. every other day and am losing my mind. I am crying everyday, I can't go to sleep until 3:00 a.m. and I am having nightmares and feel so depressed. I went to my dr. and asked him to switch my medication. He is now going to put me on wellbutran xl. I've been reading stuff on the internet and this med. scares me too. I hate taking any medication, but I am in such a low point in my life that I need help. I'm hoping that eventually I will start exercising again and lose weight, because I have also gained 40 pounds (to tell you the truth not feeling good about the way you look is enough to make you depressed). Does anyone have anything good to say about wellbutran?
|
Users who thank feelingbluein09 for this post: Strutter 

replied March 3rd, 2009
Cymbalta withdrawl
I weaned off Cymbalta and know what a terrible experience one has during the process. You are not alone!! I had withdrawl symptoms; severe headaches, fatique, nausea, worsened depression-crying spells, and vivid nightmares,etc. I switched back to Wellbutrin, to try to loose some of the weight gain from Cymbalta and Lyrica, but could not stand the crawling skin sensation. That is one of the side effects of Wellbutrin. I thought it was my Hypothroidism or hormone levels. Recently, tried Lexapro and had terrible headaches. Now, I have weaned off all Antidepressants and feel much better. I've started Aquatic Physical Therapy, for my neck/surgery C5-C6 disckectomy and fusion. It has helped my pain, headaches, and mood during the withdrawl process. There is a good internet site called The Road Back to Recovery. It was very helpful during the withdrawl process. Good Luck and Many Prayers, D. White
|

replied October 1st, 2009
This Monday i just starting to wean off of cymbalta and starting to take wellbutrin. My Dr. has me doing it for a full 4 weeks taking both until the 5th week. I also gained weight with the cymbalta and had some manic feelings that i never had before. So far the good news is that my outh is not dry anym ore, i don't sweat profusely and my appetite has significantly decreased!! The only side effects i have are the zinging/zapping feeling in my head and a bad headache. Other than that it's not bad.
|

replied January 24th, 2010
I have found just the opposite of everyone here. My Dr. put me on cymbalta because of depression, and not only have I lost 15 pounds in a month, but I have really started to feel better.

There are side effects of cymbalta. I suffered from the sweats, the chattering teeth, and the decreased sexual drive. So, we switched to Wellbutrin.

NOT GOOD! I'm easily irritated, my appetite is WAY WAY up, and I simply don't feel "well" again. It's only been 5 days, and I'm going back to the 60mg Cymbalta and leaving the 300mg Wellbutrin alone.

I work in the construction industry, so the sweats are no big deal. The chattering teeth quit after a week, and my wife and I are working through the sexual side effects. I think that my ability to keep myself alive and interact with my children in a responsible fashion completely out-weighs any other side effect that might come from the medicine.
|

replied February 3rd, 2010
I agree to some extent
pcat wrote:
I have found just the opposite of everyone here. My Dr. put me on cymbalta because of depression, and not only have I lost 15 pounds in a month, but I have really started to feel better.

There are side effects of cymbalta. I suffered from the sweats, the chattering teeth, and the decreased sexual drive. So, we switched to Wellbutrin.

NOT GOOD! I'm easily irritated, my appetite is WAY WAY up, and I simply don't feel "well" again. It's only been 5 days, and I'm going back to the 60mg Cymbalta and leaving the 300mg Wellbutrin alone.

I work in the construction industry, so the sweats are no big deal. The chattering teeth quit after a week, and my wife and I are working through the sexual side effects. I think that my ability to keep myself alive and interact with my children in a responsible fashion completely out-weighs any other side effect that might come from the medicine.

When on Cymbalta it did help me with relief from my fibromyalgia symptoms and I thought I could handle the side effects, but have realized after 4 years that it's not worth the side effects. When my kids thought I peed in my bed because I sweat so much.... Not many people have posted anywhere that they have not had any side effects from Cymbalta, ether on it or going off it. I would love to hear from someone who has used this med and had no issues.
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
Cymbalta & Welbutrin taken together
I have been on Cymbalta for about 8 months now. I have had no horrible side effects. I lost 40 pounds since I have been on it. I take 120mg. The only complaint I had was that even though I felt better, I still wasn't myself. The "HAPPY" that I'm known for just wasn't there! My Dr added Welbutrin and my "HAPPY" is back, but I can't stop eating and I can't sleep. So my symptoms are opposite from most other people. I love Cymbalta and the loss of weight and appetite it gave me! I like Welbutrin for the good mood but hate the fact that I can't stop stuffing my face! Nothing feels me up!!!!
|

replied May 24th, 2012
my sweating and nightmares cymbalta
I sweat so much and the sad thing is I only take 20 mg. I could not imagine anything higher. I have increased sex drive, amazing drive. The anger I normally have went away. I never knew how verbally abusive I was in fights until the fits stopped after 2 weeks of 20mg daily. But I have to get up and go sleep in the spare room and when I wake my pillow is soaked. I live in Florida and I am terrified of going out in the sun. My wife can take everything else but that. She hates for me to not want to go out with her and the boys on the weekend but I am miserable in the heat. Hell, I sweat in AC. I think it plays of of fear and anxiety, when I get these feelings this stuff makes sweat pour out and then its gone. I also think I sweat when I sleep due to nightmares. I have woke up every Sunday and would get up, go into the other bedroom, see my wife at 7 am and would proceed to ask her if she was not going to work. I had every intention of going to work. I don't work on Sundays. So I loose track of time after some really strange night terrors. This med is awful, but I don't snap on my family. For 8 years I have taken 2mg of Xanax. This is the first 2 weeks I have ever not taken any. I have to say, that's pretty impressive for to manage generalized anxiety disorder but it does.
|

replied March 10th, 2010
Cymbalta withdrawl during weening process
I have been on Cymbalta for the past 4 plus years and have been on Various doses. Recently I have felt more depressed and more emotional than ever. I tried to attribute it to circumstances in my life. I spoke with my doctor 3 weeks ago and was actually having an extremely emotional day and thought of suicide which is not like me at all. He decided to put me on Aplenzin which is just like Wellbutrin, and Xanax 2 times a day. Well being a recovering alcoholic, I was reluctant to take the Xanax, withing 3 days I found out why. But in the weeks to follow during the weening off Cymbalta and on to the Aplenzin I was fine, and without the Xanax. It has now been 5 days without the Cymbalta and the withdrawl is absolutely horrible, first the headache thend the nausea, vomiting, and something I heard reffered to as brain shivvers, I feel like my brain is jello. I cant wait for this to stop.
|

replied October 3rd, 2012
I have been on several different anti-depressants for 11 years, and was ironically put on "samples" of cymbalta while on celexa by my pain management doctor for a severe back injury which I've been dealing with for 10 years (who should have known better, but he's experimented on me more than once). I eventually had to fill a Rx and was warned by my pharmacist that I could have severe side effects. She was right. I talked to my psychiatrist, and I found out that despite the fact that i'd weaned off the celexa because the cymbalta seemed to be enough, I could be in danger of severe side effects... sure enough (despite the warning) I stayed on cymbslts snd am sad to say that the worst almost/did happen... despite the fact that I have a friend whose father committed suicide, and I saw what it did to him and vowed never to do that to my son, i tried to take my life. due to a great friend, i was saved and taken off the cymbalta. i lost custody of my son for mental instability and still am grateful that my life was saved (whereas my son is my only reason to live being that due to my back injury, i don't get out much. cymbalta is VERY dangerous, and I would warn anyone who wants to try it to be very cautios and have someone looking out for you.
|

replied August 13th, 2010
I had been on Lexapro but complained to my doctor about the weight gain-increased appetite, lack of sex drive, and tiredness. He switched me to cymbalta which really had no differences. I went to my primary dr and she wanted me to switch from that to wellbutrin. I started the weaning process and felt that when I had gone a few days without the cymbalta I started feeling really horrible! I felt dizzy, as if I had too many drinks! I was very nausea and my head always hurt. I called the dr and she suggested I was weaning to fast. I tryed again and was spacing it out. I was to the point to where I shouldn't have been on the cymbalta anymore. That is actually where I am now. I can not go on like this! The doctor wants to see me on Mon. I ended up taking a cymbalta today just so I wouldn't have to feel like this. She then told me to just stop everything and get my system cleaned out. I am very nervous about how I am going to feel. I have noticed that during this process I have been on edge a lot more. I have had less of an appetite and not as tired but the moodiness has been BAD! I am even to the point of crying over little things. When the dr office told me I couldn't get in until Monday I started crying because I just don't want to go through this anymore. I am to the point that I don't want to be on anything...I just need something to take that edge off :-/
|

replied August 14th, 2010
Abilify is the answer for your depression, it's a miracle drug
I was on Cymbalta for 5 years until last year when I began feeling depressed again. My doc added Wellbutrin which made me jittery and I felt did no different, but still depressed. I might add that I have been on every anti-depressant there is, since the age of 13 (I'm 34 now), prescribed to me for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder initially as a teen. Anyways, I had to do something about the depression, so my doc said to quit the Wellbutrin. I wanted to go back on Celexa due to the electrical feelings and the whooshing noises in my head from the Cymbalta. I went off the Cymbalta quickly in one week, but started the Celexa at the same time so it wasn't hard coming off Cymbalta. Long story short, the Celexa did not work either and I went back to Cymbalta. The depression worsened to the point that I did not get out of bed very much for the first 5 months of this year. I began having bad thoughts about myself and worthlessness....so unlike me. I cried all day. My doctor finally added Abilify and let me tell you that it is a MIRACLE DRUG! Within 3 days I felt normal again and happy. It is still working now and I have been taking it for 2 months. I STRONGLY SUGGEST ASKING YOUR DOC ABOUT ABILIFY if you have insurance. Otherwise it is VERY expensive. One other thing I want to mention is that I have finally found other people who have explained the electrical feelings in their head too. i can't believe it. I still take Cymbalta 60mg twice a day and I get the swooshing feelings every day still around the time when I need to take it, sometimes it's all day. I can't understand why I get the withdrawal feeling (and I've gotten them from coming off other antidepressants also) when I take it twice a day and it's always in my system? Does anyone else have the same problem?
|

replied December 9th, 2010
@ellenh701 that's actually the reason I ended up here. I tried weaning off Cymbalta before and felt horrible and ended up going back on it and adding Wellbutrin XL but now I'm starting to get the same electric shock type feelings in my head even though I'm taking the same dose of Cymbalta every day.

Seriously thought I was going crazy or about to have a seizure or something, so it's (relatively) good to hear I'm not alone.

Any chance you've gotten it to stop?
|

replied January 20th, 2011
Wellbutrin/Cymbalta
I tell ya what, I was on 60mg Cymbalta and 1mg Klonopin, and I thought I was depressed so my doc started me on 150mg Wellbutrin SR...
I just don't think this is the right combo... Why am I losing my mind over relatively stupid things? I wasn't doing that before, just didn't have much get-up, ya know?
I dunno what's goin on.
|

replied January 20th, 2011
I stopped taking the Wellbutrin and all the weird side effects stopped pretty much right away. It's going to be different for everyone but Wellbutrin is definitely not for me.
|

replied February 7th, 2011
Cymbalta, Wellbutrin transistion
Listening to everyone here is at the same time frightening, and reassuring. I'm on the merry-go-round with all of you and have been on some sort of antidepressant almost all my adult life. I question this often and wonder just what kind of a trade off we make with side effects vs. actual improvement in our problems? What new probs do the meds cause? It's a vicious, vicious cycle...from what I can assertain here, we need to seriously think for ourselves about whether we truly need these meds or whether we are only using them to correct some bad behavior on our part? And, everyone is really different when it comes to these brain chemicals that the professionals have no way of measuring. It's a stab in the dark and you can't assume someone else's experience will be your own. Thanks, everyone for your input, I am trying to make the transistion from Cymbalta to Wellbutrin...but, my aches and pains are flaring up. What to do? What to do? sigh. God bless each and everyone on their journey.
|

replied February 14th, 2014
Ozark,
My thoughts exactly.
I initially started taking Paxil to get through a terrible divorce.
I never knew i would now be "addicted" to these drugs.
My life has been no picnic since my divorce, but I am over it.
I'm now being put on Welbutrin once I'm rapidly taken off Cymbalta.
Is all this necessary? Am i That depressed? What are my side effects versus just real life feelings? I'm not sure i even know anymore. Maybe I'll know when i feel fantastic?
Too many questions for comfort, but for now it looks like i'm along for the ride.
|

replied April 17th, 2011
Getting off Cymbalta
the doctor took me off 60mg of Cymbalta and on 150mg of Wellbutrin. She told me just to stop the Cymbalta all together, but I'm experiencing horrible side effects. She tells me it's all in my mind. I HATE the way I feel, sick, dizzy, headaches, crying. I work in a nursing home and can't afford to feel this way when I'm looking after others. Why doesn't she believe me? I need help but nobody gets it. I know I can't live like this even for a week. Anybody with answers please help.
|

replied May 20th, 2011
switching to wellbutrin from cymbalta
by now you should know that it is not all in your head. I experienced the same symptoms. I hope you have read the other post by now and are seeking other medical advice. Thanks to your post, I will.
|

replied July 13th, 2011
I was taking 60mg Cymbalta a day for 3yrs, it worked well except I could sleep for 24hr if I didn't force myself to get up. The dreams were really intense and I didn't want them to end, they were good dreams. Anyway I knew I could do this for ever I was scared to go to sleep because I didn't know when I would wake up. I thought I had a sleeping disorder at first, the doctor was saying I had sleep apnea. Well I knew how wellbutrin gave me energy, so I asked the Doctor to change me to wellbutrin. The Dr said to just stop the Cymbalta today and start the wellbutrin in the morning No break and no gradual reduction of Cymbalta. After three days I started getting the swoosh feeling in my head but I think it is getting better. I now sleep normal and I don't sleep thur the alarms. More energy now, back to working out. Need to loose the 20-25lbs I gained.
|

replied September 27th, 2012
Cymbalta to Wellbutrin SR
Sounds familiar. I also gained weight--20 lbs. in two years. I wanted to sleep and enjoyed sleeping. Cymbalta also raised my blood pressure dangerously high. This is my first week on Wellbutrin SR and have the swoosh in my head and am teary. I hope this is just my body adjusting.
|
12 >>