Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Jaw Clicking After Doctor Visit

Yesterday, I went for an initial TMJ consultation because I have been experiencing dizziness, headaches, jaw aches, and blurry vision for nearly two months, and I had ruled out just about everything other than TMJ as a possible cause. Up until yesterday, the one symptom of TMJ I definitely did not have was jaw clicking or popping.

However, after the doctor pressed hard on certain areas of my jaw (and it hurt a lot when he did), I realized on the way out that my jaw was clicking whenever it shut after yawning or opening my mouth wide. This problem has not subsided into the following day, and it is starting to scare me.

I am wondering if it is possible that the doctor could have pressed too hard on my jaw and damaged something, since I did not have this problem before, or if it is just a temporary exacerbation and should subside back to what it was before shortly.

Also, does this mean that I am in fact suffering from TMJ, or is it possible for someone without that condition to have jaw clicking after applying pressure to the jaw area? The doctor seemed less than clear as to whether I had TMJ, and stated that my blurry vision could not be caused by TMJ, although I had read otherwise online.

Thank you very much for any responses, I am very worried.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 3rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hi
First off Yes tmd can cause blurry vision. My eyes black out every so often from pressure on the trigeminal nerve. It may be that the symptoms that you are now experiencing are from over working it from the visit that you had with the dentist. I'M just wondering how hard did he push. Usually the dentists are so gentle that it just feels like he is putting his hand on your face and resting it there. You should be back to normal in a couple of days. For most tmd patients popping and clicking is a normal thing(well you know what i mean) without pushing. You may just have a bite problem and if you fixed that chances are that the symptoms could go away all together. I am concerned though that you may not get the right doctor. It is imperative that you find a good one. I'm more than willing to help you do that. PM me and Ill do leg work for you to find you the best. I already know what kind of doctor to send you to simply because of the symptoms and things that you have told me.

feel free to contact me at any time. like i said PM me whatever---waiting to hear from you.

Oh and if pain gets too bad---try moist heat and ice alternated on and off for 20 min. If that doesnt help take 400mg(up to 800mg--thats still safe) of ibuprophen with a meal. And don't forget to drink plenty of water.
|

replied May 9th, 2007
Supporter
How are you feeling now, Ahirsch? Has the clicking gone away? Pain? If you have jaw pain and have ruled everything else out, I would have to say that I believe you have TMJ. I don't particularly like the methods that this last dentist used on you, so you might want to consider seeking another dentists opinion. I saw several doctors, dentists, orthodontists and oral surgeons during my earliest years of TMJ. You are worth it.

God bless...
Carol
|

replied May 10th, 2007
I have for the most part gotten rid of the clicking and I only feel jaw discomfort really badly now while lying on the pillow at night in certain positions. But the other symptoms continue to be a problem, particularly this dizziness and vision problems, which I can only assume are related to the jaw issue. It is so hard to tell, especially since the doctor I saw did not seem to acknowledge visual problems as a symptom of TMJ.
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
Im glad that you are doing better. You may want to get a good pillow. I love chiroflow pillows. you fill them with water so that they move with you and give you the support that you need. you may also want to see a chiropractor. my jaw hurts when im out of alignment.

hope that you continue to improve. keep us informed Very Happy
|

replied May 10th, 2007
Chiroflow pillows sound like a great idea, my current pillow is kind of hard. I will definitely look into those, thanks for the recommendation!

Just as a follow-up question, is it consistent with TMJ to have kind of a rebound pain in the back of the head behind the ear when getting up after having been lying down with the back of the head on the pillow? I can tell it seems jaw-related when laying on the side of the head, but I am puzzled why lying on the back of my head would make a jaw problem worse. Thanks again
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
that sounds like referred pain. the jaw will send pain to other parts of the body. the chiroflow should help that. If you want to get a good chiropractor you should go to an atlas orthoganist. they work well with tmd. just make sure he knows about tmd.

if the pain gets too bad for you---take 400mg of ibuprophen with food and plenty of water. and use moist heat and ice---20min on and off---alternate if you wish.

let me know how you are doing. If you have a hard time finding a chiroflow let me know and I will do what I can to help.
|