Medical Questions > Nutrition > Diabetic Diet Forum

I Sweat When I Eat (Page 1)

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
Well hello, I am a 38 year old woman that has been a diabetic for almost 23 years. I have noticed that in the last 4 years I sweat on my face and head, every time I eat. My blood sugar is in good control, but every time I sit down to a meal I sweat. It is really aggravating, I feel like I am burning up. Sad if anyone else has this problem please let me know, or the cause I would be eager to find out. Thanks so much.
Browneyed_butterfly75
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper chelseasangel
|

replied August 29th, 2003
Experienced User
Maybe when you initially begin eating, your blood sugar naturally elevates.
|

Thanks libby, I guess that I never thought about that. It is really a pain as when I start to sweat, my hair gets dripping wet around my face and the back of my neck. It is kind of embarrasing when I am in public. Embarassed
browneyed_butterfly75
|

replied May 5th, 2011
Hi
I have been googling the same question and came across your forum
Iam 45 year old woman and have been diabetic 20 years. I sweat so much when I eat my fring and back of hair is soakin- and is especailly embarasing when I am in a restuarnt. I tiold my Diabetec doc who said it was hypo!!! even though my blood sugars are fine! I have just found something online that says it is a form of hyperhidrosis and it is your saliva glands that make you sweat when you eat and is very common in Diabetics. Its a good job the docs know wot what they are talking about - NOT! I am trying to see if htere is anything I can take for it now I hav found out its an actual condition

regards tracie
|

replied December 28th, 2012
I have been a diabetic since I was in 8th grade and now I am 40 I was told by my doctor that I have a overactive gland in my neck that cause these sweats everytime I eat. i don't go out to eat in public or around anyone cause I sweat so bad in the face and neck It's embarrasing!!!!!! The only way I was told to get rid of it is to have it surgically cut on. No way eal cold after you have sweat alot? If anyone finds a solution please post for me to know what I can do.

thanks in advance yellowgirl
|

Experienced User
I imagine it would be embarrassing. Have you talked to your doctor about it? Are you type 1 or type 2?

If you are on insulin injections, maybe you could take some insulin just prior to eating. I would check with my doctor though if I were you.

Libby
|

I am insulin dependent. I have been taking a new 24 hour insulin called lantus for about a year now, and I take humalog by carb count when I eat. I have discussed this with my doctor, but he doesn't seem to have an answer. I have also been tested to see if I was going through menopause, but the test came back that I was not. Although I have heard that if you are going through perimenopause the test will not reveal that. I just wonder if it is my diabetes or am I just strange. Hehe
browneyed_butterfly75
|

Experienced User
My ex-husband is type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent). I know in the time we were married and even to this date, he eats small, frequent meals to help keep his blood sugar regulated, and recently ajdusted his insulin dosages to help with it. He will be 40 tomorrow, and has been diabetic since he was 17.

I know there's many changes we go through as we get older and everything can be affected by it.

When his blood sugar goes high (which he keeps very controlled), he does break out in a sweat, so that's why I was thinking maybe your blood sugar elevating when you eat could be causing it.

Maybe the new insulin isn't quite right for you...?
|

replied December 27th, 2012
im concerned
i have been noticing when i eat something sugary the back og my neck starts sweating could i be diabetic
|

Experienced User
...And no, you aren't strange...Lol!

As far as pre-menopausal symptoms, I know sweating is one of them, but I don't know about the eating association along with it.

Libby
|

replied October 1st, 2003
Sweating When You Eat
Libby, I have just started to have the same symtoms, that is sweating when I eat, and it just started a week ago. I plan to pay a visit to my doctor next week to see what's going on, as I have never experienced this before.

I use an insulin pump, so the humalog insulin I use is fast acting, and most of the time my blood sugar is perfect.

I have also been a diabetic for 23 years, and have never had any compliations as of yet, so i'm interested to find out what is going on.
Just wanted to e-mail you, so you know that your not an isolated case.

Mike
|

replied November 17th, 2004
Sweat When I Eat
I want to thank mschofie for her "link" to information. My daughter has had diabetes since she was 8 years old, she is now 26. For a couple of months she has had the problem of sweating while eating. She has been to several doctors, no one had any answers. I printed out the information & she will carry it with her to her doctor...Thanks again!
|

replied October 26th, 2005
Sweat When Eat, Not Diabetic
Hey everyone,
i feel really sweaty when I eat but am not diabetic. What does that mean? Any ideas? Thanks, mello
|

replied November 21st, 2005
Same Issue
Hello,
my father has the same issue & I believe he is type 2.
The link referred to above doesnt appear to work any more.
I will search the site but if someone could post a new link or maybe email
me the document that would be fantastic. The doctors really have no
idea with diabetes & its already cost him his mobility & half his foot just
because they had no idea.
|

replied December 23rd, 2005
Sweat When Eat
Dear all,
im indonesian and my father also have diabetic from 19 years old, now he's 54 years old and still have high

blood sugar everyday 170 average (before have meal), he's also doing good activity like

swimming (3times a week).He doesnt take any insulin injection. And lately everytime he finished his meal(lunch/dinner),he sweaty

all of his face. It's like sweaty after run, so he's very ashame evertime have meal with

guest. Until now evertime having meal, we already prepared tissue for him.
We already go to doctor in indonesia and singapore, they also don't know anything about this sweat.
Did anyone know how to solve this problem?Or anyone has problem like this too?Please share

with me so I know what I must to do. Too pity, my father don't understand english, so I must

transalte it for him.
|

replied July 17th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
first if dad's blood sugars are usually 170 and higher he should probably be taking insulin injections
|

replied April 20th, 2006
I Sweat When I Eat Too !
Hello everyone !
I am a diabetic and I sweat eveytime I eat ! Any ideas from someone out there ! I did explain to my doctor, but she said its menopause and I dont think thats it ! I need your help please !

Regards
bea
|

replied October 1st, 2006
I Wseat When I Eat
Hi everyone, I thought I would comment on this sweating issue I am a 49 year old male. Everytime I sit down to eat I sweat! I mean it pours out of my entire head area, I need a towel or many napkins so it can be quite embarrassing when I go out to eat. I am a type 2 insulin dependant diabetic whit high blood pressure both of which are under control, I have end stage renal decease, doctors dont know what to tell me they say it could be attributed to the kidney decease some say its the diabetes but I have never heard it was high blood pressure, I believe its a metabolic problem, it would be interesting to find out what this thing is I dont think its menopause or it wouldnt' effect the guys. Thanks
|

replied October 19th, 2006
I Sweat When I Eat
I just looked up on this topic for myself since my doctor also has no idea as to why this happens to me other than she said my body reacts to food this way well duh Confused Anyway this is what I found Arrow Exclamation
answer:gustatory hyperhidrosis (sweating in response to food) is an unusual cause of facial sweating in response to hot or spicy foods. It is a physiologic (normal) response caused by over stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system and is involuntary in nature. For some people it may be a psycho-social problem, in which case it can be treated (oral anticholinergic drugs, topical application of anticholinergics or aluminum chloride, injection of botulinum toxin).
I still don't understand Confused But maybe someone else Smile can and let us know. This is a totally embaressing problem Mad .I too am a diabetic but this problem has only been going on for about 5 yrs now and diabeties for 15 so I know that this is not a factor in this.
|

replied October 24th, 2006
Re: I Sweat When I Eat
I am also diabetic and have been for 15 years. Over the past two weeks or so I have also noticed quite severe sweating when I eat.

I have not seen my gp yet but did discover this article on the net which I found interesting hope it helps.

Definition of gustatory sweating
gustatory sweating: sweating on the forehead, face, scalp, and neck occurring soon after ingesting food. Some gustatory sweating is normal after eating hot, spicy foods. Otherwise, gustatory sweating is most commonly a result of damage to a nerve that goes to the parotid gland, the large salivary gland in the cheek. In this setting, referred to as frey syndrome, the sweating is usually on one side of the head. Gustatory sweating is also a rare complication of diabetes mellitus. In this case sweating may occur on both sides of the head, with mild or substantial severity.
This distressing problem can be difficult to treat. Treatments used include oxybutynin chloride, propantheline bromide, and clonidine (brand name: catapres). Recently, some success has been reported using topical applications of glycopyrrolate: the lotion was applied to the skin of the forehead and face, sparing the eyes and mouth. See also frey syndrome, diabes.

|

replied November 28th, 2006
Re: Sweat When Eat, Not Diabetic
mellowflowers wrote:
hey everyone,
i feel really sweaty when I eat but am not diabetic. What does that mean? Any ideas? Thanks, mello

you could have hypoglycemia.
|

replied October 20th, 2007
I Sweat Every Time I Eat Too
I am a diabetic for about 23 years and have been having head sweats when I eat for about 5 years now.
|

replied December 17th, 2007
I Sweat Everytime I Eat
i am 28 year old and been a diabetic for 10 years i take insulin every day about 2 years ago my doctor put me on lantus before i was takeing 70/30 when i started the lantus i started getting the sweats when i eat i ask the docter if the lantus cold be doing it he told me he didnt think so but the other day i didnt take my lantus for 2 day just took my 70/30 and didnt sweat when i eat so i am going back to the docter and tell him and see what he says
|

replied July 27th, 2011
I sweat when I eat
This is crazy I too take Lantus for about a year and have been sweating when I eat. I didn't realize it started when i started to take the Lantus. I took Levamir before but didn't sweat. I'm going to talk to my doc because it is too uncomfortable to deal with.
|

replied January 11th, 2008
I Sweat When I Eat
is there any treatment specific for this problem. pls let me know
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile