Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Back of Tongue to Throat Pain Whenever I Swallow (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hello, i was wondering if anyone has ever had these symptoms: from the back of my tongue to my entire throat hurts whenever i swallow, and about every other 30 minutes i have a series of cough attacks whenever i breathe. I also seem to wake up around 2A.M. - 3A.M. with exruciating pain in my throat causing me to be unable to sleep. I went to the doctor but she said my throat is perfectly fine and there should be no problems. I also just quit smoking ciggarettes recently, and doing the drug "nos". I dont know what to do Sad .
-Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper JoCa83
|

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2008
Supporter
IS your tongue swollen at all?

Maybe these are de-tox effects from the smoking and drugs.
|

replied February 26th, 2009
I have the same symptoms
I am searching the web for answers to my tongue pain at the base/back of my tongue. Like you, it hurts when I swallow. And like you, I have a spasmodic cough. Unlike you, I have no history of smoking or other drugs. Still looking for answers...
|
Users who thank kjyahoo for this post: previnna 

replied April 5th, 2009
I also have pain from base of my tongue
I have pain from the base of my tongue down my throat it first felt like my larynx were inflamed but that part went away however this has not i cough every now and than I quit smoking over 2 yrs ago and never did drugs however i did have 2 teeth pulled 2 months ago but this pain has been going on about a month now I take night time cough syrup to sleep thru the night with it
|

replied January 16th, 2010
I have the same thing too
I have the same thing! I was beginning to think I was the only one. Let me know if you find anything.

I have had no history of smoking and I've only recently been taking Zyrtec for allergies. This seems to have just shown up on its own.
|

replied March 7th, 2010
I have pain from back of tounge down throat too. Kills to swallow. Although I do not have a cough too bad.. Just a lot of mucus and my nose is always clogged. Gotta sleep with mouth open to breathe.. Sleeping a pain.. Also when I swallow it almost feels like my ears hurt too.. Not sure .. Doctor said throat seems fine but still gave me prescriptions for it. Isn't worken to me tho.. And some days are worse then others.. I think to myself I'm just getting worse even tho I've been goin thru this for about a week now.
|

replied March 31st, 2010
Pain at base of tongue
I am having the same problem. Base of tongue and throat hurts on the left side. I have a spasmadic cough at times too. It hurts to swallow and talk. Anything that makes me have to move my tongue. It started when I woke up this morning. Currently not taking and prescription, non smoker and non drinker. I have no insurance and am not able to go to the doctor.
|

replied May 20th, 2010
ENT recommended
Sounds like you guys need to go to an ENT who can stick a camera down there in the office and get a better look. Could be nothing but better to be safe than sorry. I'd politely "demand" a referral (if you need one) from your family dr and make an appointment with an Otolaryngologist (ent) as soon as they will see you. best of luck
|

replied June 15th, 2010
Painful/tight tongue/throat and neck
I also have similar symptoms. The base of my tongue, my throat and neck feel very tight and painful and my ears hurt at times. I get headaches behind the eyes and on temples. No cough. The worst part is I can't seem to find a way to relax my tongue/throat. What the hell is it?! No insurance. Very frustrating and scarey too. Yes, seeing an ENT would be ideal especially since my mom died of Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the throat. I'm sure my fears don't help the situation. Haven't smoked in over a year and clean from alcohol/drugs. I don't want to shell out $$ that I don't have just to hear the doctor say everything looks normal. hmmm.
|

replied August 3rd, 2010
my tongue is bad too
ive been havign similar pains, only for me its at the base of my tongue and it reli hurts to touch, swallow, and eat, and where the doctors normally feel to feel my glands, its feels reli werid and painful, but it doesnt hurt my throat or my ears and i dont cough a lot, i dont smoke or take meds for anything,, and my oral hygiene is pretty good..but ive noticed at the back is just white stuff that kinda hard and it wont come off, i brush and floss and rinse twice a day everyday, its reli painful and i go to my doctors about it and all they say is ive biten my tongue, but i think i would know if ive bitten my tongue that far back?!?
|

replied March 24th, 2011
love_hurts

I am currently in school to be a dental hygienist.. if you have any form of white "plaque" as we call it on your tongue you need to see a dentist ASAP. Anything that cannot be removed from brushing is something that should not be ignored. It can be something easy like hyperkeratosis.. which is just a response from chronic rubbing or as serious as cancer! I see you posted in August and hope you have seen someone.. but if you haven't you need to see a DDS asap!
|

replied September 20th, 2010
My tongue hurts only when I swallow
My tongue hurts only when I swallow. It seems like it will burst open. This comes out of the blue. I have found no triggers. After a few hours it goes away on its own. Then it can come back in a day, month or year. Im over weight and suffer from gastric reflux. I also am broke and can't go to the doctor. Any ideas? Please.
|

replied January 29th, 2011
I am troubled by the same symptons. My glands on the side of my neck are swollen too. I cant hardly eat or drink anything. I just started taken a medication called Gabapentin, and that is when all my problems started. I called the doctor and he told me that if it persist call on Monday. Can you beat that. A person could be dying & all your doctor can tell you is call back Monday. I truly hope that someone will find the answer to our issues.
|

replied February 9th, 2011
I have similar symptoms: tongue throat and ear pain... my ENT said it's TMJ... and I'm scheduled to see a dentist...
|

replied April 10th, 2011
Has anyone figured out or have more ideas on what this could be? I have similar symptoms: back/base left of tongue is sore. Hurts to swallow. Never smoked or taken any recreational drugs. This started about a week ago with a sore throat and has seemed to moved to my tongue. I also have an occasional cough attack.

I looked at TMJ and it did not fit for me. Any other ideas?
|

replied April 16th, 2011
Bad sore throat!!!!!!
Same thing here. I have been having this unbearable sore throat for
12 days! It's the worst pain ever. I've had 6 drug free births and I
Prefer that. At least it's over quickly!
I'm 38 yrs old, non smoker, no drugs of any kind, eat organic, raw milk,etc.
I have horrible post nasal drip. I've heard that can cause sore throat,
But this bad? I'm wondering if I have mono? Or just a bad virus. I also have
A cough, and sinus issues, so I don't think it's strep.
I have tried every natural remedy under the sun. Nothing helps me.
I wonder if I will ever feel good again???
|

replied April 16th, 2011
Same thing here. I have been having this unbearable sore throat for
12 days! It's the worst pain ever. I've had 6 drug free births and I
Prefer that. At least it's over quickly!
I'm 38 yrs old, non smoker, no drugs of any kind, eat organic, raw milk,etc.
I have horrible post nasal drip. I've heard that can cause sore throat,
But this bad? I'm wondering if I have mono? Or just a bad virus. I also have
A cough, and sinus issues, so I don't think it's strep.
I have tried every natural remedy under the sun. Nothing helps me.
I wonder if I will ever feel good again???
|

replied May 1st, 2011
treat pain in between nose and throat
Treatment to get rid of pain in between nose and throat can be "NOSE Gargle". Just like when you gargle with salt water to treat sore throat. Nose gargle is very popular in Japan! sack salt water from your nose and spill it through your mouth. Not easy to do and it hurts for beginners but better try.
|

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2012
please help me
what if i had a pain on the back of my neck and every time i swallow it hurts olso the ears...anyone have solution for my problem...?????
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied March 8th, 2012
ditto
I have the same...very sore back of the tongue, throat sore, had a tight larynx kind of like a frog in the throat the other day. went through cough attacks. I've been sick for over a month...had fluid in my ears and sore throat, then strep throat, now some sort of virus?!? went through a zpac for the strep and antibiotics. I have had it! After reading that so many people have the same systems...I am hoping this is a crazy virus...that lasts over 30 days. yuck!
|

replied October 29th, 2012
Tongue pain
Hi, I suffer the same of all the above and it's distressing. You will need to have it checked out as it's a condition called Gerd and if untreated can become serious.

All to do with acid reflux it's a big disease than we know and it's becoming an epidemic.

Good luck.
|
12 >>