Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Birth Control For Women Over 35

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I was wondering what my best options are for birth control. I used to take the pill but I am over 35 and smoke, so I quit taking it. I would prefer to still take it. Is there some birth control pill that I would still be able take? If not does anyone have anything to recommend?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 1st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Non-hormonal birth control is best if you are over 35 and smoke. Copper IUD, Condoms, Tubal ligation, and abstinence i think are the only non-hormonal ones. I dunno, is Nuvaring hormonal? Some of the other posters will probably know if it is.
|

User Profile
replied May 1st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I agree that non-hormonal is the safest. In addition to the ones silly listed, there is also natural family planning and spermicide.

I believe nuvaring is hormonal.
|

replied May 1st, 2007
I hate thought about getting an IUD. Does anyone know of any negative side effects??
|

User Profile
replied May 1st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
The copper IUD has no hormonal side effects, but I have heard from others that it can end up causing cramping and heavy bleeding. My midwife indicated to me, however, that this was more urban legend, and the technology has improved over the years.

Out of curiosity, have you contemplated quitting?
|

replied May 1st, 2007
Birth Control And Skin Issues
I was told today that since I am over 35 and occasionally have migraines (my diagnosis- they may just be regular "bad" headaches) that I could not be prescribed the pill any longer. I have been on it for years for the other positive benefits of clearer skin, not as many mood swings, no serious bleeding, cramping, etc...

I am most concerned about my skin which I have had problems with before the pill. I wonder if I am old enough now to not have to worry about the break outs or is my skin going to go crazy when I go off ?

Any others with this experience ?
|

replied May 2nd, 2007
I have definitely thought about quitting smoking.. That IS what you mean right?? lol If I was to quit would it then be safe to go on the pill?
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
The risk of stroke is always there for you on hormonal contraceptives, but it is dramatically increased if you smoke. You have an increased chance of having a stroke if you smoke and are not on hormonal contraceptives as well. I am not going to preach about smoking, because I was a horrible addict,and I know how hard it was to quit. But it increases many risks which aren't on cigarette labels. If you smoke you are at increased risk for

Osteoporosis
Degenerative disc disease of the spine
Stroke
Hypertension (high blood pressure)
Periodontal or gum disease
Obviously cancer and emphysema
Bronchitis
Athsma
Kidney failure
Gangrene

I hope you can quit, but if you can't it doesn't make you a bad person. The cigarette companies are the bad people. I finally decided I wasn't going to pay them for slowly killing me anymore.
|

replied January 26th, 2011
NovaSure Question
I am 39 years old and was recently advised by my doctor to stop taking birth control pills. I had been taking them since the birth of my 3rd child 3 1/2 years ago. Not only did it work as birth control, but I also enjoyed the side effects including a lighter flow, fewer mood swings, more predictable cycles, etc.... I am interested in having the NovaSure procedure done, but my dr. said that I'd also have to have a tubal ligation done. I know that NovaSure is not birth control, but is it necessary to have the tubal done if my husband gets a vasectomy?
|

replied January 27th, 2011
Hi Everyone!

I think one of the best options for women over 35 seeking a form of non-hormonal birth control is using a contraceptive monitor, like cyclotest 2 plus - no hormonal side effects, completely natural, and super easy to use.

Contraceptive monitors use your daily temperature readings to determine if you're fertile or not. On your infertile days, you can have natural (unprotected) sex because there's no chance of getting pregnant. On the few fertile days of your cycle, you could either abstain from sex or use some kind of barrier contraceptive (cervicap cap, condom, etc).

This option is especially appropriate for women who smoke, who are more at risk of the negative side effects of the pill.

I've been using cyclotest 2 plus ever since having my first child and have been completely happy with it. It's really user friendly, compact, and because it charts your fertility, it can even help you get pregnant (when you know you're fertile days, you can plan your love life accordingly).

I hope this information helps!
|

replied July 3rd, 2011
I've tried a few birth control.. and heres what I have found..
Well I am 38 and in the last 6 months I had two miscarriages which I guess is more common when your older. Anyway.. I first tried the Mirena IUD.. I did have some head aches and have heard that is a typical side effect, if I took Excedrin they went away easy. But some how that one fell out(yes it can happen) so they decided to try the other IUD with the copper.. now with Mirena you have lighter periods and they may even stop, On the other side..the copper IUD is opposit... you have heavy periods,(my last one lasted 10days, first nice and light then so heavy it was as bad as after my daughter was born, and cramps all the time. So far I am not fond of this IUD at all. The Mirena used progesterone and my doc said it was safe even with me having high blood pressure. If you are going to try one, why not try the one that is going to make things lighter and even may make them go away... The third option they gave me was one that they insert in your arm. I don't know much about it.

Mirena I believe works for 5 yrs, the copper IUD is good for 10 yrs, and I think the arm inserted one is for 3. All of them start the day they put them in, and you are ready to get pregnant the day the take them out, they can be taken out at anytime so if you want to just put things off for a while, these are a none thinking way to go.

I miss the easy things, the pills.. but now I am searching all of them to see how they all work, This copper IUD I just can't do anymore, but my body is way sensitive, and the cramps are just to much for me. I have Fibromyalgia, so take what has happened to me with a grain of salt. Everyone is different and handles things different. So read all the facts, and listen to some of the responses, but in the end you may just have to try it out.

Another option, They have spermicides on the market that are really cheap. There is a film one (oh gosh I forget the name) but its really easy, and it fits in any pocket, wallet, what ever its really thin, you just slide it in about 15 minutes before having sex, it lasts for 2 hours. The second one is a suppository, and you all know how those go, they are made of a water base and once they get hot they melt and in my opion make things very wet. (sloppy wet) but maybe thats just me and I know this is all to much info right... Anyway, they cost about 10$ and you can find all of them at walmart and target or where ever in the condom isle and they are easy to hide for when you need them.

Anyway, research everything, my new theory is always read what the doctors want you to try.. especally new medications, and I'm not talking about birthcontrol now. Be cautious of all the new meds on the market always read what the side effects are.. some may not be worth what its suppose to help.
Best wishes all...
|

replied November 2nd, 2011
Thanks for all the great info! I am going today to see if I can have a tubal done. I am 35, overweight and smoke. I am on birth control right now and hate it! I feel like my mood swings the week before my period are worse than ever, and my periods last longer then they did when I was on a progesterone only pill (which was about $56 a month). We do not want any more children. My only concern in the severe cramping that I have heard many women get. I used to have terrible cramping before I had children and do not want that back. But, at the same time I think I will take that small risk as opposed to being on birth control. Any thoughts on tubal ligation?
|

replied January 12th, 2012
i am 38 years and mother of 2 child 8 and 4. last 2 yaers i use cooper udi for 10 years. fist 6 month its some little side effict like headeac but now no problame. but last 2 years my monty period comes early 8 to 10 days and continues still now i want to know it is netural or it is symtoms of menopause starting period...
|

replied October 28th, 2012
I have the IUD Mirena, and I had TERRIBLE cramping for the first 4 months. Now I have had it in for almost a year and a half and have gained 25lbs and just before my period my mood swings are crazy which at this point as even cost me a relationship. I am considering having it taken out in the next month.
|