Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Pediatric Appendicist- Resolved

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
I have a question. My 4 year old son was presented to the emergency room last Monday with a 104 fever, headache, and stomache. After a CT scan was performed, it was revealed that his appendix was enlarged 3 times the normal size, and he had fluid in his pelvic cavity. They sent him home at midnight because they said the appendix wasn't blocked, so they wanted us to observe him to see if got any worse. He had a follow-up CT scan on Wednesday and his appendix went back to normal size and the fluid had disappeared. My question is this: has anyone ever experiened or heard of something like this before? From what I can find researching the subject, most people that have episodes like this have a return episode, which I do not want to have happen with my child. Any information someone can share with me would be greatly appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 1st, 2007
Re: Pediatric Appendicist- Resolved
bagoda wrote:
I have a question. My 4 year old son was presented to the emergency room last Monday with a 104 fever, headache, and stomache. After a CT scan was performed, it was revealed that his appendix was enlarged 3 times the normal size, and he had fluid in his pelvic cavity. They sent him home at midnight because they said the appendix wasn't blocked, so they wanted us to observe him to see if got any worse. He had a follow-up CT scan on Wednesday and his appendix went back to normal size and the fluid had disappeared. My question is this: has anyone ever experiened or heard of something like this before? From what I can find researching the subject, most people that have episodes like this have a return episode, which I do not want to have happen with my child. Any information someone can share with me would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have any information. Im just blown away that these Drs see a case like your sons and send them home! Appearantley from all the stories Ive read if your not near deaths door they won't operate on you!!!

When you were researching did you look up Chronic Appendicitis? My kids have physicals today and I think Im going to ask my Dr why this happens so often, why they just don't take the appendix out when your child is that sick.
|

replied April 23rd, 2012
Enlarged appendix without infection
My son was also see at the Emergency room for a stomach ache and 101 fever (he developed a 103.4 fever while we were there) and they did an ultra sound which did not show his appendix and then did a ct without contrast. His ct scan showed his appendix was enlarged but not infected. They did not have a pediatric surgeon on staff at that hospital so they transferred us to another hospital in our city. Upon looking at his ct scan the peds surgeon did not feel his appendix warranted surgery but did state his intestine was also full of stool and wanted to empty his intestine and see if the issue still persisted. He is still having stomach pain so we are debating now to insist they remove his appendix.
To answer your question about why they don't just take out the appendix when your child is sick... any type of surgery that requires anesthesia for a child is risky and you dont want to just throw your child on the operating table unless its really necessary!
|