Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Headache, sensations in the head and extremities, heaviness

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
About a year and a half ago I began to have pain in my neck, hand, elbow, shoulder and back. It also caused very bad headaches. Eventually, I had tingling and numbness in my hand. These same symtoms later moved to my left hip, leg and foot. It some times cause itching.

I then had a crisis and woke up in horrible pain. I felt like a steel bar was being forced through my head, neck and down my back. I lost temperary control of my neck, strength in my arm and hand. I was totaly exhausted and in terrible pain. I have visited several doc. and been given hardly any answers. I'm currently just dealing with it.

The pain is not terrible, however if I do not rest a lot, it will get much morse. I failed to tell you that before this crisis, I had a headeache for about 12 days and strange sensations on my scalp. They were like prickly, sharp pains as well as the sensation that I had a hat on. I also feel a heavyness in my arms and legs and have trouble sleeping due to it.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2007
Neurological Disorders Answer A2699
"Current medical status: about a year ago I had 2 mri, one of my sholder and one of my neck. I have not had one of my head. I also had a test of wich I do not remember the name. I was were they placed needles in my back and armd, shoulders etc. to see how I reacted and they all shocked me to see how I responded in those areas. I went through about 5 months of physical therapy and took lyrica. It did not help very much.

Current medical treatment: just taking ibiprophin"

It seems that an MRI of the neck and shoulder was done to exclude possible osteoarthritic disorder. According to your description, the other test was probably an electro-myo-graphy (EMG). EMGs are used to detect spinal nerve damage of the cervical and brachial nerve plexus. You can also request an MRI of the head to exclude some other possible reasons, such as a tumor, for the headache.
Your symptoms (headache, strange sensations in the head and extremities, heaviness in arms, trouble sleeping…) can be due to anxiety but all possible organic causes have to be excluded first.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.