Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Anorexia And Involuntary Vomiting

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
i've been struggling a bit with starving myself, but sometimes when this happens and i get really hungry, i throw up involuntarily. does this happen to anyone else?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper katydid_007
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2007
Hi there,

Yes, it happens to me all the time. Your stomach gets these hunger pains and it has nothing to digest cuz of the emptiness, therefore, it's a message your stomach sends out to you that you need to eat something. There could also be something to do with the amount of acid vs. food in your stomach.

I hope this helps. Best wishes to you.
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2007
Re: Anorexia And Involuntary Vomiting
Hello dear,
one thing you can do to try and stop the thowing up is drink some water once you get that hunger craving. not to say its a good thing that you don't eat but i understand... when i want to fight a craving i will either eat an ice pop or drink a glass of water.that way you are putting something into your stomach and it will not hurt to thow up if you do .... hope this helps some .
|

replied October 3rd, 2007
So Relieved to Read This!
katy, if that is your name: i am so relieved to read your post! i have not met anyone or spoken with any health professional who has heard of this or understands. i was confronted by my partner a few months ago with the idea that i have an ED. i was shocked. it never occurred to me that i have an ED before. i am battling with the idea. i eat daily and was "only" trying to avoid eating dinner around the time that the throwing-up was becoming bad. i am trying to be healthier, though find myself plotting when i can avoid eating. i really hate admitting that i probably have an ED because i DON'T WANT TO have to gain weight as a part of treatment. i don't want to have to admit i have a problem i'm out of control of. i am still confused because (sorry for pointing you out), but i do not look like kayla. i'm not that skinny. i have a normal, slim body. i am 5'4", small boned, and the lowest weight i've gotten to is 102. i currently weigh 105. i haven't thrown-up recently, as i'm really working on controlling it. i'm also realizing, after reading this forum, that i am probably not vomiting because i'm not starving myself lately either. i suppose i'm sharing all of this because i would love to have contact with more "sisters" who understand this and can help me to understand what it's about! thanks. i would love to hear from the original poster, too!
|

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: So Relieved to Read This!
tnalive wrote:
katy, if that is your name: i am so relieved to read your post! i have not met anyone or spoken with any health professional who has heard of this or understands. i was confronted by my partner a few months ago with the idea that i have an ED. i was shocked. it never occurred to me that i have an ED before. i am battling with the idea. i eat daily and was "only" trying to avoid eating dinner around the time that the throwing-up was becoming bad. i am trying to be healthier, though find myself plotting when i can avoid eating. i really hate admitting that i probably have an ED because i DON'T WANT TO have to gain weight as a part of treatment. i don't want to have to admit i have a problem i'm out of control of. i am still confused because (sorry for pointing you out), but i do not look like kayla. i'm not that skinny. i have a normal, slim body. i am 5'4", small boned, and the lowest weight i've gotten to is 102. i currently weigh 105. i haven't thrown-up recently, as i'm really working on controlling it. i'm also realizing, after reading this forum, that i am probably not vomiting because i'm not starving myself lately either. i suppose i'm sharing all of this because i would love to have contact with more "sisters" who understand this and can help me to understand what it's about! thanks. i would love to hear from the original poster, too!

Just a small reminder, we try to refrain from posting weights on here as it may trigger anyone still struggling with an ED.
|

replied June 13th, 2010
My friend is going trew the same thing just talk with ur doctor he can help u out!!!
|

replied June 16th, 2010
It could be more...
I am at the beginning of having an eating disorder beginning this month. Mine was brought on because I have always been a little overweight and my parents are seperating, and my sister has moved away with the military, so not eating is my coping mechanism. Unfortunately, due to my rapid weight loss, I developed gall stones and had severe pains in my upper and right abdomen. This just enhanced my need to stop eating. I thought the pain and vomiting was from the food I was eating and just stopped all together to try and prevent the pain. I spent my nights hugging the toilet or sleeping on my desk because of the nausea and pain. The gall stones came from me losing too much weight, too fast.I had to have my gall bladder removed and an ERCP to further stop the pain. I am eating maybe 2 small meals a day which consist of fruits and veggies and fill up on water. Now, I'm developing pancreatitis...just be aware that it might not just be simple, you could have a serious problem like me. Go to your doctor and say you are throwing up-they can help.
|

replied January 15th, 2011
Same here!!
I know that I am anorexic, I have an awful fear of food, but I thought people might accuse me of lying, because even though I don't eat, sometimes I even give into temptation! That, and although I am skinny, only a slight more than most people.
I also feel the need to make myself throw up when I have eaten, or whenever I feel especially awful about myself and feeling hunger.

So, if people are telling you to get help,and even saying mean things to you, and you feel bad in the world DON'T WORRY, you are NOT ALONE. Very Happy
|

replied July 8th, 2011
I don't eat much - usually only dinner because I live with my parents. Sometimes I try to have a yogurt or snack bar during the day and it comes right back up. When I do eat its either like I'm force feeding myself and I only do it because I know I have to or I will get really shaking and vomit/nauseated or I binge eat and than feel guilty about it.

I don't force myself to vomit it just happens. I have been checked out for stomach problems and so far have come back clean. Does this all mean I have an ED, even though I do eat sometimes?

I'm not even that skinny - more like average Sad but when i talk about how im fat to people they think im crazy :s
|

replied March 9th, 2012
involuntary daily vomiting, with a history of anorexia.
please answer this if you read it, i would really like your opinions and guidance.
i was anorexic for the past 2-3 years, it began from medication that took away my appetite, and weight started falling off without effort. when i got so many positive reactions, i just kept going, and got used to eating one meal a day.
it has been around 10 months since i abandoned skipping meals intentionally. however, i have shrunken my stomach from years of starving and now i can't ever finish any meal that i order. and i still don't have much of an appetite. so i don't eat unless i am hungry.
THIS IS MY PROBLEM: while i am no longer intentionally depriving myself from food, i don't crave food the way i see to, i have to remind myself to eat a lot of the time bc I've gotten accustomed to not eating much. i have painful stomach aches and vomit involuntarily almost everyday. lots of the time its all just water. when i vomit, i get painful cramps and sometimes a stabbing unbearable white hot pain in my heart. i want to emphasize that i am a healthy weight and am not vomiting intentionally. is there anything i can do to help my stomach stop rejecting food? i feel like i have damaged it beyond repair... the doctors i have seen for this all said its either acid reflux or ulcers, but they don't know about my history of anorexia. does anyone have any constructive advice???
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
Hi Daisy Smile
I think I'm kind of on the same page as you here. Although I'm a guy, I'm anorexic athletic so I can't eat without doing excercise and recently it devloped into involentary vomiting...
My best advice is to eat about a handful of food at a time and then go for a short walk after meals so that you feel like you work off the calories Smile
|

replied April 29th, 2013
Hey humans!

I'm not anorexic or bulimic ( well I think I'm not).
I have a similar issue, well somewhat. I haven't been eating much lately, because when I do I feel like puking my guts out. I'll eat very little and I still end up vomiting. Even if it's water or soda. I don't try to starve myself thats why I'll eat; a little. I don't purge either it comes back up automatically. I don't do this on purpose at all. I've never hated how I looked or thought that i needed to loose weight. I've had this problem for about a year and it's getting worse and it's starting to freak me out. I want to know if there is or not such a thing as involuntary anorexia and bulimia, and if it I'm not like that, then what is it. What can I do for this.
|

replied December 1st, 2013
Hey everybody!

Right now I honestly don't know what i have. i have been at the doctor's office may times, and test after test has been administered, but i still don't know what i have. Because of the stomach flu or something of the sort, for about two months now i've had varying symptoms: nausea, cramps, diarrhea, loss of appetite, chills, and more recently i am now barely able to eat, and i have involuntary food reflux/ nausea as well. i guess now i fall under the status of anorexic, since i lost 30 pounds in less than two months..

Any ideas or thoughts on this?? Please do send your thoughts/ replys Smile
|