Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Is It Possible to Be Allergic to Antihistamines? (Page 1)

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
My daughter is 8 years old and just recently started breaking out into hives. We gave her Benadryl for sneezing and sniffles we thought might be allergy related. The next day she broke out into hives that progressively worsened over three days and then disappeared. The hives did not come back until she was given a nasal spray that contained an antihistamine.(I don't know what kind) That night the hives returned and went through the same three day cycle. Could she be allergic to antihistamines?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sensitivities
|

replied May 9th, 2007
Hello,

I have a reaction to an ingredient in the Benadry tablets. I am okay with the liquid so you might want to phone the companyto get a list of every ingredient.

Hope this helps.
|

replied October 18th, 2007
Sulfer?
Benadryl does contain sulfur, I do believe. And quite a few people are allergic to sulfur.
|

replied July 30th, 2009
yes, I am allergic to antihistamines.
|

replied August 20th, 2009
She probably is allergic to them. I have the exact same reaction to antihistamines. There are alot of products out there that contain them so be very careful from now on. Clariton almost killed me. Make sure your family doctor knows about the allergy and never let a hospital give her any Benadryl or antihistamine.
|

replied October 5th, 2009
I've broken out in hives within minutes of taking Benadryl, Clartin, Allegra, and Zyrtec. Within 30 minutes they also cause me to spike a fever and vomit. Doctors always look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them this but after four horrible experiences with 4 different meds I'm not willing to keep trying.
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2009
Experienced User
Yep that was me too! check these out: vital function of salt in the body, water cures, acid alkaline diets
|

replied April 7th, 2010
allergic to Antihistamine.
Yes, it is possible. I''''ve been allergic to Benadryl and any cold medication that has antihistamine since I was 18. I am 32 years old and make sure that I stay away from any food that I know may give me a reaction or meds at that.
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2010
Yes, my daughter has reacted with hives and swelling to at least three different antihistamines, including Benadryl, with the last reaction requiring epi treatment in the ER at age 3; 11 years later we still keep epi pens in case of bee stings and other allergic reactions.
|

replied February 1st, 2011
i have antihistamine allergies
I broke and dislocated my arm about 15 years ago and after the operation they covered my arm in Chlorhexadine which is a commonly use steraliser, i had an alllergic reaction to this so they gave me antihistamines, they then discovered i was allergic to the antihistamines as well and it almost resulted in my death. i have also suffered with hayfever my whole life and in the absence of antihistamines i find i just have to put up with it. does anyone have anything i can try, i have tried many things in the last few years but nothing is effective for long
|

replied December 18th, 2012
Go to doctoryourself.com and look up hay fever and allergies. He recommends high dose vitamin c and it works for a lot of people. There are plenty of references and the doctors who where using this method were also biochemist.was used on many people and is tried and true. Read read read on it understand it well and try it see if its right for you. The vitamin c is too acidic for my stomach so if I take them I have to use the chewables.hope this helps.
|

replied February 1st, 2011
i am allergic by air polution and cold water.
|

replied August 29th, 2011
namo
I have terrible allergies and try not to take allergy medicine but sometimes I give in, just so I can feel human again. Unfortunately, in the past I have had allergic reactions to Claritin, and I am currently having another (much worse) reaction to another over the counter medicine containing antihistamine. Red hives are covering my body and getting worse by the minute. My doctor is treating me with steroids for the next 7 days, but I know this is just the beginning of a long journey. I guess it is the irony of life, to be allergic to the thing that makes other symptoms better. Thanks to all for your postings. Makes me feel better knowing I that am not alone.
|

replied January 19th, 2012
I too am allergic to antihistamines. My allergies are numerous and I also suffer from hay fever. I have found that it is an ingredient in the antihistamine meds that cause my reaction to them, so I just read labels carefully. However I am now allergy pill free. A friend introduced me to a coffee and tea that I now drink daily and I am able to go through the day without a pill and feeling short of breath, without itchy and watery eyes and without a runny nose.
|

replied April 20th, 2012
What is the tea that you drink? I suffer from horrible allergies and I was told by the doctor that I am mildly allergic to antihistamines. So everytime I take a Claritin or something I get a fever, dizzy and wind up sicker. I also believe that it triggers my asthma.
|

replied April 20th, 2012
What is the tea that you drink? I suffer from horrible allergies and I was told by the doctor that I am mildly allergic to antihistamines. So everytime I take a Claritin or something I get a fever, dizzy and wind up sicker. I also believe that it triggers my asthma.
|

replied August 30th, 2011
antihistamines
Yes, it is possible, I have been allergic to them my entire life and almost died from them.
|

replied October 19th, 2011
I am allergic to all forms of antihistamines! As a matter of fact I have them on my hands and feet right now due to taking Zyrtec!
|

replied March 23rd, 2012
Zyrtec gives me really bad hives also, probably the worst out of all the antihistamines.
|

replied March 23rd, 2012
what should i take for allergies if antihistamines give me hives
I too have found that I am allergic to antihistamines, they give me hives! I have been taking antihistamines most of my life, I am 36 now and I think my immune system has said ENOUGH! My allergist believes that I should be taking more, more, more and more Zyrtec so that I raise the antihistamines in my body. The more I take, the more hives I get, he said no big deal, just take more. The less I take, the less hives I get. If I don't take them at all, I don't get hives. My doc also diagnosed me with Chronic Cholinergic Urticaria, so I get hives when I get hot; however, when I am not taking antihistamines they are more manageable. What to do, life is a bi@#$ sometimes.
|

replied April 14th, 2014
This is exactly my story! My allergist, family doc, no medical professional understands why or how I am allergic to antihistamines. My doctor prescribed Prilosec in December and I developed awful hives and had to get a Kenelog shot. Since then, I seem to be randomly getting hives for no apparent reason. I stupidly, out of desperation, took Lortadine and broke out with the worst case of hives. Again had to get a Kenelog shot. I am at my wits end. Heat and extreme cold also give me hives, as well as exposure to the sun.
I would love a remedy and answers.
|

replied June 23rd, 2012
Allergic to Antihistamines
For people that are allergic to antihistamines, you might want to try Cromolyn. Cromolyn is avaiable as a prescription and is also sold over the counter as Nasalcrom. You should always seek medical advice before taking any medications.
|

replied August 4th, 2012
allergic to ALL antihistamines
So I notice that people are stating that they are allergic to ALL antihistamines yet they do not ALL contain the same active ingredient. I'm not sure I follow the logic.
|

replied October 21st, 2012
No matter what kind of antihistamine I take my face swells up. I have this cough medication I'm currently taking. I woke up to my face swelled up mainly my lips. Should I stop taking this medication it has a antihistamine in it?
|

replied February 22nd, 2013
Allergy to antihistamines
I've had delayed sensitivites to antihistamines that include face and eye swelling (above & below pockets of fluid) -- thought it was a lupus mask at first. They also cause many cognitive problems (brain swelling), such as difficulty concentrating, depressed mood, memory problems, fuzzy thoughts, etc. Doctor's don't readily believe in allergy to antihistamines and just encourage a different family of drugs, but I am steering clear after trying many & having similar reactions. I seem to be in a narrow band of folks who experience hypersensitivities, but I wonder if I'm sensitive to the many chemicals we're bombarded with these days (internally & externally).
|

replied November 9th, 2013
Your reaction to antihistamines is like mine. In addition to the facial swelling, I feel like I have the flu. Sometimes, I think my doctors get annoyed whenever they suggest something and I say "I tried that ... and that ... and that.." Astelin is the one nasal spray I can tolerate without the worse effects, but it still doesn't feel good, contributing to fatigue and nervousness. I try to steer clear of them all. I've started allergy shots and hope that will help. By the way, I suffer from multiple chemical sensitivities, too. Wishing you the best of health.
|

replied April 1st, 2013
Definitely think so!
I am currently suffering from horrible congestion in my sinuses with yellowish-greenish phlegm needing to be expelled on a regular basis. I figured that my seasonal allergies paved the way for a secondary infection. My doctor concurred with that assessment and prescribed antibiotics for what he deemed to be sinusitis and an antihistamine for the allergies. I started taking them both at the same time. Since then, I have developed an INCESSANT cough wherein I am CONSTANTLY coughing up yellowish-greenish phlegm from my lungs. I had already felt some congestion in my lungs before starting the meds but this is lightyears removed from that (every time I cough up the phlegm, within seconds or at the most a minute I already feel that maddeningly itchy feeling again which, although I sometimes manage to ignore, usually compels me to cough again). I feel like my upper lungs have been transformed into an amazingly efficient phlegm producer! And my throat is starting to hurt like crazy because of all the coughing! Last year, which was the first time (at age 29) that I ever took antihistamines for allergies, the med that I took (which was an over the counter brand) knocked me out with full-blown, flu-like symptoms for about 24 hours. I immediately stopped taking it and just suffered the allergies. As such, I suspect that my unique coughing fit (which has been going on now for more than 24 hours!) may be an allergic reaction to the antihistamine my doc. prescribed. I've had respiratory infections before that cause the lungs to produce this kind of phlegm and coughing to get it out, but this speed, consistency, and intensity of phlegm production and terrible-throat-itch-induced, incessant coughing is just completely not within the gamut of anything i've ever before experienced. And, since my understanding is that allergic reactions tend to be very acute and intense, that is why I suspect that it is not directly related to my sinusitis (or whatever) but rather is an allergic reaction. Is there anyone out there that can relate to the type of symptoms I'm experiencing or that has any other helpful info.? Thanks!
|
12 >>