Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Misdiagnosed, What to Do?

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
I was diagnosed with schizophrenia when I was about 13 yrs old (I am now 23 year old), At the time of the diagnosis I was a drug addict (primarly marijuana) I was out of control but did nothing to harm myself nor others besides take drugs and also not take the schizophrenia meds for a couple years at that time. I was hospitalized in a rehab facility threw most of my childhood to try and get me off of marijuana and when I reached the age of 16 I was put in a residential program for a year, Since I got out of there (age 17) I have been drug free ever sense.

A couple things worth mentioning:

I have never seen things that aren't there
I have never heard voices
And I have no paranoia

Since I have been off of the illegal drugs I have had no behavioral problems, I am actually the most well behaved person in my family.

At my last Dr visit my Dr told me that there had been recent studies done that suggest marijuana can have some of the same effects on the brain as schizophrenia and that he "might" try taking me off of the resperdal in another 6 months. The visit 3 months prior to that visit I had asked about it and he basically told me no way. Something is not right here.

So this is where im at, The resperdal makes me tired all the time and I beleave I have been misdiagnosed, My mother and everyone else I know all tell me there is no way I am schizophrenic. I have lived a lifestyle practically my whole life that has been a living hell, People do not realize how it feels to be thought of as a schizophrenic, I have been put down and called a lowlife my entire life because I have been unable to do many of the things a regular person can do (I can't even drive because of the diagnosis)

So my question is, What should I do?

Im not sure where to go from here, My grandparents have got guardianship over me just cause they say im schizophrenic so I am afraid if I quit taking the meds they will try to lock me up in rehab. I am scared to death of going to rehab, When your 13 years old and practically living in a rehabilitation building it is like living in hell and I still have nightmeres till this day of it.

Thank you so much in advance for any help.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile naomi48
|
Users who thank nrh83 for this post: blackorchid77 

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2007
If you've never seen things, never heard voices and haven't had any paranoia - what did you do that they've diagnosed you with schizo at such a young age? I mean was it only because you were an addict or was there more to it?
|

replied April 26th, 2007
Well back then I quit school and only hung out with other addicts so they said I wasn't able to lead a regular life or something like that. To tell you the truth other then that I don't really know, Ive never had any of the problems that schizophrenics have as far as I know other then right now I have social anxiety but from what I understand the medication can cause that.
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I would get a second opinion about your diagnosis. Here is what the DSM says about diagnosing schizophrenia:

wrote:
Characteristic Schizophrenia symptoms:

Two (or more) of the following, each present for a significant portion of time during a 1-month period (or less if successfully treated):

Delusions - false beliefs strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence, especially as a symptom of mental illness: for example,
Paranoid delusions, or delusions of persecution, for example believing that people are "out to get" you, or the thought that people are doing things when there is no external evidence that such things are taking place.
Delusions of reference - when things in the environment seem to be directly related to you even though they are not. For example it may seem as if people are talking about you or special personal messages are being communicated to you through the TV, radio, or other media.
Somatic Delusions are false beliefs about your body - for example that a terrible physical illness exists or that something foreign is inside or passing through your body.
Delusions of grandeur - for example when you believe that you are very special or have special powers or abilities. An example of a grandiouse delusion is thinking you are a famous rock star.
Hallucinations - Hallucinations can take a number of different forms - they can be:
Visual (seeing things that are not there or that other people cannot see),
Auditory (hearing voices that other people can't hear,
Tactile (feeling things that other people don't feel or something touching your skin that isn't there.)
Olfactory (smelling things that other people cannot smell, or not smelling the same thing that other people do smell)
Gustatory experiences (tasting things that isn't there)
Disorganized speech (e.g., frequent derailment or incoherence) - these are also called "word salads". Ongoing disjointed or rambling monologues - in which a person seems to talking to himself/herself or imagined people or voices.
Grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior (An abnormal condition variously characterized by stupor/innactivity, mania, and either rigidity or extreme flexibility of the limbs).
"Negative" symptoms of Schizophrenia , these symptoms are the lack of important abilities. Some of these include:
Alogia, or poverty of speech, is the lessening of speech fluency and productivity, thought to reflect slowing or blocked thoughts, and often manifested as short, empty replies to questions.

Affective flattening is the reduction in the range and intensity of emotional expression, including facial expression, voice tone, eye contact (person seems to stare, doesn't maintain eye contact in a normal process), and is not able to interpret body language nor use appropriate body language.

Avolition is the reduction, difficulty, or inability to initiate and persist in goal-directed behavior; it is often mistaken for apparent disinterest. (examples of avolition include: no longer interested in going out and meeting with friends, no longer interested in activities that the person used to show enthusiasm for, no longer interested in much of anything, sitting in the house for many hours a day doing nothing.)

A short summary of a list of negative symptoms are:

lack of emotion - the inability to enjoy regular activities (visiting with friends, etc.) as much as before
Low energy - the person tends to sit around and sleep much more than normal
lack of interest in life, low motivation
Affective flattening - a blank, blunted facial expression or less lively facial movements, flat voice (lack of normal intonations and variance) or physical movements.
Alogia (difficulty or inability to speak)
Inappropriate social skills or lack of interest or ability to socialize with other people
Inability to make friends or keep friends, or not caring to have friends
Social isolation - person spends most of the day alone or only with close family

Note: Only one Criterion A symptom is required if delusions are bizarre or hallucinations consist of a voice keeping up a running commentary on the person’s behavior or thoughts, or two or more voices conversing with each other.

Cognitive Symptoms of Schizophrenia
Cognitive symptoms refer to the difficulties with concentration and memory. These can include:
disorganized thinking
slow thinking
difficulty understanding
poor concentration
poor memory
difficulty expressing thoughts
difficulty integrating thoughts, feelings and behavior

Social/occupational dysfunction: For a significant portion of the time since the onset of the disturbance, one or more major areas of functioning such as work, interpersonal relations, or self-care are markedly below the level achieved prior to the onset (or when the onset is in childhood or adolescence, failure to achieve expected level of interpersonal, academic, or occupational achievement).

Duration: Continuous signs of the disturbance persist for at least 6 months. This 6-month period must include at least 1 month of symptoms (or less if successfully treated) that meet Criterion A (i.e., active-phase symptoms) and may include periods of prodromal or residual symptoms. During these prodromal or residual periods, the signs of the disturbance may be manifested by only negative symptoms or two or more symptoms listed in Criterion A present in an attenuated form (e.g., odd beliefs, unusual perceptual experiences).

Schizoaffective and mood disorder exclusion: Schizoaffective disorder and mood disorder with psychotic features have been ruled out because either (1) no major depressive, manic, or mixed episodes have occurred concurrently with the active-phase symptoms; or (2) if mood episodes have occurred during active-phase symptoms, their total duration has been brief relative to the duration of the active and residual periods.

Substance/general medical condition exclusion: The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition.

Relationship to a pervasive developmental disorder: If there is a history of autistic disorder or another pervasive developmental disorder, the additional diagnosis of schizophrenia is made only if prominent delusions or hallucinations are also present for at least a month (or less if successfully treated).
|

replied October 10th, 2010
13 is way too early to get diagnosed as schizophrenic. You would have been better off smoking pot than taking the anti-psychotics you have been taking. perfect example of why this country is so f-ed up. Ditch the meds and enjoy whats left of your adolescence.
|

replied October 12th, 2010
I have the same problem! I got diagnosed with schizophrenia when i was 17 put prior to that I was using pot. I feel like I might have had a pot induced paychosis possibly, or whatever else drug was put in the pot i was smoking. I've had some mental problems over the years but mostly from just being overtired and depressed because of all of my medications. I have to see a doctor soon to get off zeldox. I feel like my life has been ripped away from all of these horrible medications. I've gained 100 pounds, and I've been so tired I havent managed to get all of the weight off, its really horrible.
|

replied October 18th, 2010
Schizophrenia
For anyone who has been diagnosed with schizophrena ... without a doubt get a second opinion. Look up a good orhtomolecular doctor. Ask if they deal with this type of diagnosis. Some don't. It is possible that there is a root problem going on.... Possibly ..Thyroid issues, Possibly Hypoglycemia, Possibly Copper/Histamine imbalance...Possibly Allergies - possibly even Gluten affecting this. Possibly B Vitamin Deficiencies. And, for women - possibly hormone imbalances. There is hope Smile!
|

replied June 21st, 2011
diagnosis
hi i was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1995 its now 2011 yes I do know it was a misdiagnosis because I have a second opinion I'm 41 and I feel safe now that I can choose to take control of my own health care I aways new it was a midiagnosis but you have to prove it but getting assessed by a professional it took 16 years but after medication errors and a lot of trauma due to stress worrying about my condition I am now back to feeling good about myself again, good luck to those who feel the same and I advise you to take the right steps to overcoming this including professional help dont try to take the system on by yourself
|

replied June 21st, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
That's messed up nrh!

Check this out though, even if you have problems like ghosts in your head, oh, I mean schizophrenia, they can still misdiagnose you.

My diagnoses has been changed three times, and I was simply allowed to leave one time, they said nothing was wrong at all that time, and they are constantly trying to give me new medications, the mental health system is the only thing that's schizophrenic to me, they meet all of the criteria actually.

Now, don't get me wrong everyone, we do have a problem, people like me, but drugs won't help it.

And we are all misdagnosed actually. Schizophrenia doesn't exist, you should look into what it actually is though, and educate the future generations on how to handle it best.
|

replied August 13th, 2011
yeah! you are right schizophrenia doesn't exist but the patient suffering from schizophrenic exist and so you should look into what actually the symptoms are as one patient suffering from schizophrenia may be different from other patient and, consequently, accordingly approach must be given to them to lead a better, if not the best life, for the rest of their lives.
|

replied September 14th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
That is everyone though, lead a better life, unfortunately if you tell people to do that their insanity will kick in, not to mention stupidity, and they will screw it all up.

I mean, that's actually one of the reasons we are where we are as a species, people get very good ideas, like love eachother for instance, or do better with your life, or cure cancer, or just simply learn, or just get organized right?.

Before you know it everyone is a slave and malnourished and they are feeding the monkies cocaine for no reason, the water is filthy and there are wars all over the place.

I actually know now that if you offered people the best most optimal life they wouldn't listen to you. Because whatever feeds things like greed and sloth and vanity and pride is what people will choose, not the healthiest happiest most peaceful options.

For instance, if you say to a person, you have to do better, he'll in a metaphorical way just go blasting into existance with guns blazing and fall off of a cliff. Because he isn't watching where he is going. Nor does he really have a clue what he himself is or what he really needs, not to mention the endless delusions and idols that he imagines. Not to mention that better to these people, is having shiny jewels and twenty cars and everybody else grovelling at their feet, not honesty or actually bettering yourself.
|