Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

I Think My Boyfriend Is Smoking Weed....

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
I'm pretty sure that my boyfriend is smoking weed. I was just wondering if someone could tell me some side effects/signs that would be physically evident that he is smoking weed.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 3rd, 2007
Supporter
the Boyfriend
You recon he must be stoned to have chosen you for a girlfriend? LOL Jistakiddin'
|

replied June 4th, 2009
The Boyfriend
I think mine is too. Lots of rumors have been circulating around school about him and his friends. He had been acting a little crazy for a few days and staying really late after school. I like him soooo much - I'm scared to death. It totally understand.
|

replied June 4th, 2009
It seems as if neither one of you know what marijuana smells like so it may be a little more difficult to tell. One of the most tell talke signs of pop smoking is the distinct smell. Depending if he's a smoker or not or if he uses tons of cologne it is still very hard to mask the smell even many hours after smoking. If he has a regular cigarette lighter it may be easy to tell. When he is not around or paying attention try to sneek his lighter. Take the lighter and smell the area of the lighter where the flame would normally come out. DONT LIGHT THE LIGHTER OR PRESS THE TAB TO RELEASE THE GAS JUST SMELL THE LIGHTER AROUND WHERE THE FLAME COMES OUT. If you smell a very pungent smell unlike that of cigarettes your boy is likely getting high. The marijuana leaves behind "resin" which is the equivalent to nicotine tar. It can leave yellow stains like cigarette do on the index, thumb and pointer fingers but if he's not smoking a rolled marijuana cigarette "joint" or "blunt" you will not see those marks or be able to smell it on his fingers. The lighter however regardless of how he's smoking (bowl, pipe, bong, blunt, joint) will 99% of the time will have gotton some part of the resin on it and its a deaad giveaway. Be familiar with the smell of cigarettes as opposed to marijuana. They are nothing alike so you dont want to blame him if its just cigarettes although they are just as bad for you. If you have an open relashionship you could also ask him to take a drug test which you can buy a kit for at the local CVS or Walgreens. If that's not an option maybe you should consider a new boyfriend. Trust me there are things far worse that pot but its not great to be doing it and I dont recommend you start if you have never. I don't liek the term "gateway drug" but chances are once you try marijuana you will probably like it and that may lead to experimentation with other more dangerous drugs. Other people just grow out of it. If you have a good relastionship with his parent(s) I recommend taking with them as a last resort and try to nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand. Parents are good at huddling with other parents their children hang out with and busting the party. The main point is however you cannot force change on anyone. If they are smoking pot and they want to continue and this behavior is not something you do not agree with YOU NEED to walk away before you get involved or he gets you in trouble. You sound young and its not worth it. Walking away from a relashionship like this while your are young would be a good learning experience for you. You are worth more than to have to deal with that. He is not respecting you if he is smoking and you don't want that lifestyle. It will be hard but wakling away may save you humiliation and heartbreak down the line. You're worth it.
|

replied June 4th, 2009
marijuana sticks to clothing and depending on how you smoke it you can tell by if the fingernails turn yellow, or just smell his fingertips it may be hard to do but it sticks to facial hair and other things. Also you can tell by if he is laughing, calm, tired, glossy and or red or dialated pupils. Also like masivmunky said if he carries a lighter or clear eyes to take away the redness. He may also use cologne, or visine. And believe me if he tried it once its not that big of a deal the best thing to do is talk to him about it if you find out. 86% of Americans have,will, or do smoke marijuana. Dont ask me how I know...... It is not has addicting as people think I smoked for 2 years and once I got a job and started getting drug tested I quit cold hard no problem and have been sober for 8 months no drinking or smoking and even quit cigarettes.
|

replied June 16th, 2010
my partner is smoking pot
My partner has been smoking for the past 6 years. H has been trying to quite but always falls back into it again. 3 months ago he told me he wasn't going to smoke again. and to my knoweldge he hasn't. we have been going out for 3 years and live together so i would know. but for the last 2 weeks he has been acting weird and getting all parinoide on me. Today i found his bong and weed. So he is smoking again. i dont know what to do. i love him soo much and were talking about marriage, i cant marry someone who is addicted to this stuff. he is a different person when he smokes and now he is lying to everyone about it even me. i cant believe i foudn his stash today..
I dont know what to do....
|

replied July 2nd, 2010
Do some research on pot and get some facts. It is not addictive, it does however have some side affects. For most it is a non issue. Be glad it's not crack or meth, then you would have reason to be worried.

^..^
|

replied February 14th, 2013
thetruth
partnerincrime. I know exactly where you're at right now. I believe my bf is smoking again. But gets upset if i ask. i need a sure way of finding out. depending on your bf maybe you can just ask him or hint that you found it.
|