Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Dad Refuses to Go See Dr- Chest Pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Sad Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and am actually writing in with a question for my father, who refuses to go see a doctor. He is 45 years old, and has been a smoker since before my time (i'm 21). The last couple of months he has been experiencing pain in his chest, sharp or dull pain i'm not sure (my parents both speak vietnamese fluently and i dont so it's hard for me to ask specific questions like that sometimes). they last anywhere from 1 to 2 minutes long and he can't breath, and it happens a few time every week, sometimes more than once or twice a day. When the pain occurs my mom says that he has to hold his breath and it's very difficult and painful for him to breathe. Mom also said sometimes he would just be laughing and it would happen. I know i dont have that much details but if there are any questions that you have about symtoms he is experiencing or anything like that please feel free to ask me and i will call my mother and ask her. I just didn't know what type of questions to be asking her earlier and my mind is just so overwhelmed and i'm so worried right now that i still can't think of anything. I just know that if i can get some idea of what he may have i can use that to talk to him and try to get him to understand how serious this could be so that he will go see a doctor! PLEASE HELP!!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Where exactly in his chest is the pain? On a scale of 1-10, how bad does it hurt? Is it sharp or dull? Is it localized or does it hurt all the way through (front to back)? What makes it worse/better? Does he have any known medical conditions? There are so many questions to ask. They really need to be asked by a doctor. With his smoking history I suggest he see one soon.
|

replied May 7th, 2007
Go to the Doctor.
Tell your father to go immediately. My sister was having small, but sharp chest pains for two weeks before she had a massive heart attack that almost killed her. She doesn't have any insurance, so that was keeping her from thinking she could get help. The morning of the heart attack, she went to a free clinic, and they gave her nitroglycerin and sent her home. 14 hours later she was being life-flighted to the emergency room.

She almost lost her kids and all of her grandbabies. Tell your father to stop acting like a man and go to the doctor, before he loses everything.

(And you lose your dad.)
|

replied May 7th, 2007
Re: Go to the Doctor.
MsJackson wrote:
Tell your father to go immediately. My sister was having small, but sharp chest pains for two weeks before she had a massive heart attack that almost killed her. She doesn't have any insurance, so that was keeping her from thinking she could get help. The morning of the heart attack, she went to a free clinic, and they gave her nitroglycerin and sent her home. 14 hours later she was being life-flighted to the emergency room.

She almost lost her kids and all of her grandbabies. Tell your father to stop acting like a man and go to the doctor, before he loses everything.

(And you lose your dad.)

oh, I forgot to mention that all of this happened last week. god bless you and your family.
|