Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Q and A Forum

Pounding Heart And Pregnant

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I am looking for a little reassurance and information here. I am 10 weeks and 4 days pregnant. I have for the last several weeks had a pounding heart. Sometimes it will happen in the morning if I do not take my time getting fully woke up, this means that after I get out of bed I have to sit on the couch for a few mins before doing my regular routine. And sometimes it will happen in the middle of the day and it happens at no inparticular time. This is my fifth child and I have never had this type of problems before. During these episodes I do not have a fluttering heart or anything of that nature, I just have a pounding heart that you can actually see my shirt moving at times. Please any info or reassurance would be wonderful.
Thanks,
Nickie
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2007
Supporter
I'm 31 weeks pregnant and have pretty much the same thing. Don't quote me on this but i think i read that your heart has to work harder because the baby is taking oxygen out of your blood so your heart needs to work harder to get more oxygen into you
|

replied May 23rd, 2007
Heart Rate
I actually had this problem myself. I never noticed it until I was about 5 months along. They called mine A Fib or Afibuluration. Not sure if that is how you spell it. My water started leaking by a pin hole and I had to be put in the hospital. While I was there they decided to give me meds to make me contract. But my AFIB got really bad and they had to take Shelby by C-SEC. I was placed on the Cardiac floor until my heart returned to its proper pace. But my DR said that not all women with Afib will go through what I did. Not saying this is what you have. They say that diet pills cause it or excess weight or just your daily routine of the baby taking more out of your body. It is not fun....but I personally noticed that if I would get a glass of water and slowly drink it and breath long and slow breaths that it got better faster. Also I would go for slow relaxing walks. It sounds crazy but it worked. It seemed like it got worse if I just laid around. I hope this helped in any sort of way and that I did not scare you. That was not my intention. But please try what I did and hopefully you will feel as good as new. It helped me. Have a wonderful and blessed day!
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Atrial Fibrillation is with the upper chambers of the heart get "confused" and the electrical impulses which control the heart are off a little bit. This can happen to anyone, but affects older people more often, people with high levels of sodium, and people who have electrolyte imbalances. this can lead to a heart attack for some people, but others can walk around like this their whole lives without it ever being problemmatic.

Pregnancy and a pounding or racing heart can often happen because a woman's blood volume nearly doubles during pregnancy and the heart has to work harder to get it all moving where it should. Your own heart rate is usually also elevated during pregnancy for the same reason. (to me it felt like I was running a marathon most of the time). I would hazard a guess tht you are probably doing OK. I would sit down and take a resting pulse rate. When you are doing this try to feel if your pulse is regular if it skips beats. Keep a little diary of this over the next few days and present it to your care provider the next time you go in. If it worsens between now and your next appoinment, then certainly it is worth a call to your provider. Best of luck with your pregnancy!
|