Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Post-op Fluid Retention In Abdomen

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I had two hernias repaired on April 13th of 07 via laparoscopy. One was a ventral and the other was an umbilical hernia. One large piece of mesh was used to cover both hernias. My abdomen has been swollen and very tender since the surgery. I saw my surgeon today who told me I have some fluid in there and that's why my stomach is big and bulgy. He said my body should absorb this extra fluid by itself but wants to see me back in four weeks. If the fluid is still there, then we'll need to take it out with a needle. Meanwhile, I'm pretty uncomfortable.

Has anyone heard of this? If so, what is the likelihood that my body will take care of this fluid retention on its own? I don't like the idea of waitig four weeks. My clothes don't fit around my middle plus it really hurts where the fluid is.

Thanks for any input.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper schwmom
|

replied May 16th, 2009
Fluid after hernia repair
I had a double hernia repair in 2007.I also have fluid in my stomach. My dr.also said my body would absorb it after awhile. After almost 2 years and four aspirations (drains). I still have the problem.
|

replied November 27th, 2009
i had a repair of a huge insitional hernia (water melon) 8 weeks ago. i have now a large hard bulbus lump over half the size of the previous one which is a build up of fluid. apparently it cant be sorted with use of needle as is lots of pockets of fluid so therefore i will need another op which will leave me with an open wound that will need packing. the reason mine occured i am sure is that they removed my drain 4 days post op and it was still draining 80 mls in 24hrs. gutted!!
|

replied May 4th, 2010
post op fluid build up
i feel for all of you i had breast recon using my stomach tissue to rebuld it..after breast cancer.. ive just had my 4th op because my stomach wont heal and builds up with fluid each time.. my consultant also said it would absorb in my body but each time it hasen''t leading it to form like a hard shell that is painful to wear normal clothes..i wasn''t warned of this.. i''ve got to go back in a month but dont hold out much hope.. the fluid is sitting there wobbling around like jelly!! seeing my own doctor today to see if she can help me

all the best to everyone who is having these post op problems i feel for you GILLY x
|

replied June 24th, 2011
Unfortunately sometimes we post on these forums then dont look back again, so i dont know if anyone will get to see my post....I just had a abdomonplasty a couple weeks ago (probably spelled that wrong), a tummy tuck & lyposuction. Although I have healed quickly,I have had alot of fluid rentention. I had about a quart drained already and although it is much better, theres still some floating around under the surface. So I have been doing some research because I am not going to have this type of surgery and then go on with a bloated tummy.
Theres alot of reasons for this fluid retention post-op, like meds. But often we were water retainers before,just maybe not near the surgical site. I have been wearing one of those rubber weightloss belts with helps alot, and making time to put my feet up everyday. But i am discovering that many things we are eating are causing it. Salt for one. I know i eat a low salt diet, so I looked further. Sugar, beacuse it makes us produce insulin, which can make us retain water. Cortizone, the hormone produced by stress.
Anyway theres alot more to this. One source for more info is a book called The Waterfall Diet. Teaches how to get our bodies to balance our water retention.
|

replied November 19th, 2011
The collections of fluid that can form after surgery in the abdomen are called seromas. They are not water retention -they are collections of serum or lymph which is produced at the site of any injury to the body. It is the same stuff as you get in a blister, Sometimes when the body is injured -such as having surgery, it produces this fluid as part of the healing process. Sometimes it kind of goes into overdrive. The more complex the operation, the more likelihood there is of developing a seroma.

I had 2 distinct ones after my hernia repair -one very large and one quite small. They were drained with a syringe 3 times ( 1 and a half litres of fluid each time) and twice it burst through the incision site.

They eventually stopped producing more fluid and atarted to re-absorb what was left. 4 and a half months later, they have virtually disappeared.
|
Users who thank rimgil for this post: psloan  lissa73 

replied December 24th, 2011
did you do CT scan to find out if you have fluid build up?
|

replied November 12th, 2011
Do Diuretics Help
I am 10 wks out from hernia surgery and I look like I am 8 months pregnant on the right side of my body.

Has anyone tried diuretics for this?
|

replied December 28th, 2011
I have had similar results as Rimgil. I had the seroma drained a few times and it took a few months to reabsorb.
|

replied January 2nd, 2012
hernia repair
i got a hernia repair surgery in nov 2011 and the pocket of fluid did form as well for me but then the new tissue stopped the flow of the drainage and caused bacteria to form and maybe was already present from before but nobody looked at it and is now infected...so the doctor recommends a power wash or wound irrigation to help with the seroma. Any suggestions?
|

replied January 12th, 2012
12 weeks post op and still having drainage help ??
I am 12 post op from having a hernia reconstruction and i am still having alot of adnornimal drainage when will this stop .
|

replied January 12th, 2012
12 weeks post op and still having drainage help ??
I am 12 post op from having a hernia reconstruction and i am still having alot of adnornimal drainage when will this stop .
|

replied March 29th, 2012
I too an having fluid building up after ventral hernia surgery it has been 3 months had it drained once and then had a drian put in for 11 days. Well it has only been a week and fluid is again building I am tired of this!! going back to the doctor tomorrow not sure what he is going to do now? My doctor also told me to use a binder to help keep the fluid from building up it worked for a few days but now I see the buldge coming back. My fluid was tested and no infection but why does it keep coming back?
|

replied April 26th, 2012
fluid retnetion
I had major abdominal surgery 6 weeks ago and started to get into pain yesterday so saw my surgeon He said the problem was fluid retention in the abdomen - the wound naturally secretes fluid? so had an ultra sound which confirmed the problem, followed by over 2 litres of blood stained fluid being removed Was told it it carries on will have to have further surgery to correct?
|

replied June 20th, 2012
complications of an adominal hernia repair and fluid buldup
I recently had a hernia repair to my lower abdomen, three weeks ago. Approximately seven days after surgery, my doctor removed my staples. After I left his office, I got into the car to pull off and noticed that blood and fluid was pouring into my lap. There was so much fluid buildup that it saturated my clothes. Luckily, the Dr. Office was located at a hospital and I ran right into the E.R. The physician, who saw me, basically said that fluid buildup was normal for some individuals after surgery and told me to follow up with the surgeon in 5 days. I didn't follow up with the surgeon right away, because the E.R doctor said that everything looked great and the hospital is far away from where I reside. Less than a week later, I am at home with friends and family and the leakage happened again and I notice an opening at the bottom of my wound and I could see my flesh. I than decided, to go to a closer hospital to be seen. At this other hospital, the Doctor there confirmed that it was normal for some individuals to get fluid buildup behind the wound and she took cultures. She also, confirmed that the surgeon removed my staples out to soon. I want to say, after a week I experienced stinging, pain around wound and tenderness. The next morning when I woke up, I realized that the bed was wet and the wound drained again. That same day I received a letter from the other hospital that took cultures and the letter stated that the cultures were positive for some kind of bacteria. Later on that night, I decided to go to the original hospital and I took the letter with me. In the E.R. they decided to do another C.T scan and they said that the scan only showed fluid buildup. One of the surgeons came into the room and drew out two full tubes of reddish clear fluid. I showed the physician and the surgeons on duty the letter and they said some bacteria are normal. They told me that there were no signs of infection, because there was no odor and I did not have a fever. The next day I saw the original surgeon, who operated on me and he drained the wound again. He told me that I have to see him again in a week. If things do not improve, he told me that I will have to go back into surgery and he would have to pack my stomach. This surgery was my seventh surgery in my entire life and I never went through anything like this.
|

replied July 18th, 2012
Had Laparoscopic surgery on the 19th of June. Still have a significant lump as I did before the surgery. Tried to get in to see my surgeon but could not until my set follow-up 3 weeks post op. When I finally got to see him he said the lump was not a hernia but seroma. I am not sure about that as it hurts. He also informed me that although the repair seems fine, he is worried that there is fluid build up which could lead to a more serious infection.He put me on Apo-cephalex to deal with possible infections and Gabapentin for the nasty nerve pains I was having. 6 days into the meds and no reduction in any of the symptoms. Will see him today to see what is going on. He thought there was a possibility that I may have to have further surgery but would not be able to have it done laparoscopically this time. I sure hope not as I have been off work for a month and open surgery would keep me out way longer and as my job is seasonal, I would be completely @#$@ed. ARRRGGHH. You all are not alone.
|

replied July 23rd, 2012
Shame I feel for u I too had a hernia repair had fluid and had it drained twice still not good flying out to uk to do my caring job and praying that all going to be okay as there are no guarantees in life hey! My specilist told me to get a corsett which does help so maybe u shoul try one they are very expensive but cant put a price on our health.Wish u all the luck
|

replied July 23rd, 2012
Can anyone tell me how do u know it is infected what are the first signs and what to expect later on does the fluid ever go away?
|

replied July 30th, 2012
my current hernia situation
I had an abdominal wall herina repair in March 2011. In may this year I was moving and had severe pain and the buldge came back. I had a ct and they confirmed the hernia was back but said the big problem was the fluid behind it which they said was caused by the mesh used in the hernia repair not being properly absorbed. I had a drain tube in for a week and all seemed good so I had the tube removed. A week later the buldge and pain came back and had another ct and found the fluid was back. I have had another drain tube in for two weeks now and they want to leave it in for another 2 to 6 weeks. This time the fluid is thicker. Each time the fluid was cultured and had no infection.
|

replied September 1st, 2012
3 months post-op abd. hernia repair w strattice mesh implant
I had my 3rd hernia surgery 5/30/12. My entire abd. was reinforced with strattice mesh. I had 2 drains left in me post-op. I was instructed to wear a compression garment 24/7 which I did. I started walking 3 days post-op as I know it would help healing. One drain was in for 2 wks the other 3 wks. About 2 wks after drains removed I noticed a bubbling jelly like movement on the right side of my abd.. I am 120 lbs. size 2 so it was very obvious to see this. I went to MD and he drained 75cc from area told me to stop walking, wear compression garment and rest, the fld would be reabsorbed eventually. Well I returned to his office weekly to have fld removed. One wk the MD reinserted a tube and drain which I had to drain daily. That was left in for 3 1/2 wks and then removed. Well the fld began to collect again and I was back for my wkly needle insertion and fld drain. Now the doc tells me he may have to do a "poudrage" which is insertion of a substance that will cause adhesions thus forcing the fld out with the build up of these adhesions. Then if that doesnt wk he will need to do another surgery. I investigated "poudrage" and the little info I found states that it can cause a blood disorder and cancer????? Well thats not an option for me! I am going to seek out another opinion now. This has had a major impact on my summer, my life, I cant exercise and I am/was a runner, spin cyclist, serious exercise addict. I did nothing but rest all summer. I am a very young 50 yr young woman and I didnot hold my little gbaby for 3 months. I'm an RN and havent wked and am trying not to get depressed. Anyone know of any other options?
|